The RMweb 2012 Challenges

Andy Y

Today is the 7th birthday of RMweb and the day the 2012 Challenge, or should I say Challenges, are launched. The first Challenge is looking forward whilst the second Challenge takes us back to the roots of the hobby.

The first Challenge is the Innovation category which provides the opportunity to advance the hobby in some small way through a new product, service or technique which is either entirely new or a significant improvement upon an existing product or method. It is the entrants responsibility to ensure there is no copying of any patents, copyrights or trademark infringements. Any entries should not be representative of a trading business. It is also the responsibility of the entrant to protect their innovation if they choose to do so.

The second Challenge is the Scratchbuild category where entrants are encouraged to enter any item of rolling stock or building which is not purely a modification or alteration of any previously commercially available item. Any entries may include commercially produced components.

Both Challenges will run from now until 1st October.

Entrants should document their progress via the forum areas set aside for this - http://www.rmweb.co....2012-challenge/

Both Challenges will be voted upon by other members and readers to determine the winner.

The Innovation Challenge will be judged against one simple criteria; "is it good?".

The Scratchbuild Challenge will again be judged against one criteria, that being the overall quality of the entry.

Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

7 years of continuous improvement is a long time - and last week's news just shows how professional RMweb is perceived to have become. Commercial organisations do not buy into lame ducks in 2012. I'm a relative newcomer, yet even I have seen substantial development over the 3 or so years I have been here. Well done, Andy!

I am unlikely to set the Thames on fire in the near future, so I think Innovation may not be my happy hunting ground. Scratchbuild could be another matter - and, as with my incomplete 2011 entry - adds value to a layout, even if not wonderful. Thanks for another opportunity.

Guest Natalie Graham

Can I ask, is the term rolling stock to include locomotives or other powered vehicles, for example; railcars, or just carriages and wagons?

A slight clarification request:

How loose is the term scratch build. Would for example an "own design" set of etches count or are we talking strict scratch building where the item would need to be literally bashed out of metal/plastic/resin/card...? Accepting that items such as wheels etc might be sourced and do not have to be self made.

Although always welcoming RMWeb Challenges, I do have the fear that these are both quite "highbrow" and will exclude the majority. I am not saying that we do not all have the potential to become inventors, just that I would estimate that the majority of us would not dream of being one (I'm certainly in that category).

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've been thinking about scratchbuilding something for a while now - time to take it to the planning stage. But which of the four projects that I have in mind?

All of them ! :mosking:

Any and all of those.

Can a single entry include multiple items... Lets say some scratch built coal drops with associated wagons? (presumably lengths of track and wheels would be fine in either of those :P). Kinda gets towards a diorama.. but then Stubby's example would appear to be 3 buildings and a wall :P

Can a single entry include multiple items...

I can't see a problem with that; such an entry should be largely scratchbuilt would be judged on the scratchbuilt elements of it.

The second Challenge is the Scratchbuild category where entrants are encouraged to enter any item of rolling stock or building which is not purely a modification or alteration of any previously commercially available item. Any entries may include commercially produced components.

Oh good. An incentive to get Mr Brunel's Hat finished (if it's allowed - given the project was started last year). There's also a fortcoming Goods Shed which might be a good entry.

I may do a Stubby47 and make multiple entries - it'll get me out of my current modelling apathy and get several projects finished!

F

I can't see a problem with that; such an entry should be largely scratchbuilt would be judged on the scratchbuilt elements of it.

Oh for sure, shame I've already built (scratch built at that) the coal drops for my layout!! Would have made a nice start.

• RMweb Premium

Does the scratch-build have to be done during the year? In best blue peter tradition, here's one I made earlier...

post-7346-0-81440900-1331809701.jpg

If this is up for consideration I'm backing out now...!!!

TBH, I don't think my modelling skills or knowledge are up to either of the challenges, but it'll be fun to see what Stubby/everyone else comes up with :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

a cracking idea. One of the downsides of the high quality of RTR today is that the art of making things is under threat. I shall be entering something - are we allowed to enter something we have already started (but still have a long way to go with!). I am thinking of my Queensquare station, and particularly the trainshed roof.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

TBH, I don't think my modelling skills or knowledge are up to either of the challenges,

You've got 6 months+ to hone your skills, you'll only get better by doing something.

I looked at Chubber's / DLT's/ Ron Hegg's / 2manypies' work and thought "I can't do that yet, but I can get closer". I'm not there yet, but (I think) I'm a lot, lot better than I was.

Archived