The RMweb 2012 Challenges

Andy Y

are we allowed to enter something we have already started (but still have a long way to go with!). I am thinking of my Queensquare station, and particularly the trainshed roof.

I think it would be fair to say that entries are acceptable where a significant amount of the work takes place during the next 6 months or so. It also doesn't mean that it has to be complete but would be judged as it stands as of the end date. As long as it's clear what the start point was at the beginning and where it got to by the 'end' date then who am I to put unnecessary rules in place to restrict good modelling.

I'm just worrying that Stubby may enter the Innovation category rather than the Scratchbuilt category.

I scratchbuild, but I know my standards are not up to some on here, thats not to say that I am not improving as I feel I am but maybe the scratchbuilding needs splitting down dependant on materials being used, as I use card & texture papers and although Chubber may produce some stunning buildings the rest of us mere mortals realise that with card there are compromises from someone who is building using plastic, gravytrains buildings come to mind.

I like the idea of the challenge as in theory it should get more people involved than previous layout style challenges but as already stated it may exclude the majority, probably also including my self.

I'm just worrying that Stubby may enter the Innovation category rather than the Scratchbuilt category.

On the basis of effort (read innovation) involved in creating new interpretations of the rules (read distorting) to suit what has been done to date?

Otherwise a jolly good idea for those who read RM Web and aspire to do better.

Interesting!

The scratchbuild challenge in particular is one that intrigues me. As someone who has recently taken the first tentative steps in 'proper' scratchbuilding of buildings (IE, working to plans instead of dreaming things up!), this will inspire me to push on and better myself to try and make something worthy of entering!

Ah well, as neither Hornby, nor Bachmann has seen the sales potential in a North London Railway, outside cylinder, 4-4-0 tank I guess I'll have to go for that then............................. :paint:

One thought though, my new dlr layout will havr entirely scratch built stock and buildings, so if I enter this, which bit gets judged or can it be the whole thing?

There's no reason at all, in such cases, that it can't be the whole thing David.

I think it would be fair to say that entries are acceptable where a significant amount of the work takes place during the next 6 months or so....

Good to know as I'm only about 1/4 of the way into the build of MBH. I might as well enter it as well as the Halwill Goods Shed I'll be building in the next weeks for Olddudders. I'll also have a rummage to see what has not progressed much beyond the "concept" stage and consider entering those

F

I think it would be fair to say that entries are acceptable where a significant amount of the work takes place during the next 6 months or so. It also doesn't mean that it has to be complete but would be judged as it stands as of the end date. As long as it's clear what the start point was at the beginning and where it got to by the 'end' date then who am I to put unnecessary rules in place to restrict good modelling.

Can I get away with entering the 37 in the innovation category? I haven't finished it yet, but I guess it is substantially complete in as much as most of the innovation has already taken place.

Happy birthday, RMweb!

Here's to seven more years of great community modeling. (and to my exit from the dreaded armchair stage!)

Being a complete novice as of this writing, I doubt my chances of producing an entry that could compete with most, but as Stubby pointed out,

You've got 6 months+ to hone your skills, you'll only get better by doing something.

For what it's worth, I have most of your work saved and stuffed into my 'modelling inspiration' folder.

Good luck to everyone with the challenge!

I'm up for this one!

I was considering my wooden Cambrian trestle bridge for Morfa Bach but as it is now complete it won't qualify.

I am going to have to have a think for a day or two before I make any announcement of what my scratch build is.

Cheers!

Frank

With something like 25 weeks to build an entry, based on his output last year of 4 entries in about 13 weeks, can we expect 8 entries from Stubby??

Not throwing a hat into the ring just yet, but will have to see how I get on with the buildings around, and including, the lower station of the Bridgnorth Funicular for which I have not yet done more than some preliminary sketches of this group..

Does 3D printing count as scratchbuilding? I know we've had this discussion before, but I'm only thinking in terms of the competition?

I suppose it does; a modern take on traditional skills.

• RMweb Gold

Will definitely look to enter the scratch building category,

A building for Cheddar will fit in nicely, the station and over roof would be the first thought.

I also fancy trying to find some unusual freight prototype that will be useful for Cheddar.....

I guess the constraining factor is going to be time (as Im working away from home until September, and only have a small tool kit up there).

• RMweb Gold

Well, my hat's thrown in, I'll be scratchbuilding something (undecided yet exactly what it will be) but it will be using quite traditional techniques, it will be built from brass and there will be nothing etched, printed or grown...

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it does; a modern take on traditional skills.

Interesting....

Maybe a third project will have to be considered then, would be a good kick in the backside to finally get on and try something with 3d printing.

And 3d cad work can be done on the train back from Chester each friday afternoon.

Archived