The RMweb 2012 Challenges

Andy Y

Guest Natalie Graham

If I click on the 2012 Scratchbuild Challenge page I get the message that there are no topics in that board. If I go to the last post in forum link I get the 'You do not have permission' message.

• RMweb Gold

If I click on the 2012 Scratchbuild Challenge page I get the message that there are no topics in that board. If I go to the last post in forum link I get the 'You do not have permission' message.

Yes, seeing that now.

can i submit a project for which i have started already but not yet finished and for which i have started a thread on this site already several months ago? the thread has not been updated for a while now and the model is not yet finished due to modelling taking a back seat whilst we moved house. Richard

• RMweb Premium

You've got 6 months+ to hone your skills, you'll only get better by doing something.

I looked at Chubber's / DLT's/ Ron Hegg's / 2manypies' work and thought "I can't do that yet, but I can get closer". I'm not there yet, but (I think) I'm a lot, lot better than I was.

2manypies!

I'm toying with joining in this year. Got a scratchbuild idea that might surprise a few folk....

I think I might have a look and see if I can get something scratch built. Now what I think it will have to be for my stock, rather than sold on. Must see what I have in the way of drawings here. Most are still in the UK.

I think these challenges this year are the best. I can't wait to see some of the quality work.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Andy - I'm just starting to scratch build a new baseboard for the new layout, but I really don't think I can enter that! :nono:

I scratch built a wooden shed to keep the model railway in. I suppose that does not count either as (a) it is finished, and (b ) I don't live there any more.

Anyway, I plan to enter the scratchbuild category with a model of a terrace of four houses, including my current house and a model of my new railway shed in the back garden.

There now - I'm committed so I had better start planning this project. :mail:

A challenge that I feel like I can enter and finish! I need some buildings for the layout, which would be excellent scratchbuild candidates, but I see myself making something Great Western with Walchaert valve gear on the outside. Thread will be forthcoming in the relevant section.

• RMweb Gold

This month's Ferrovissime has drawings and photos of level-crossing cottages, with building styles similar to my nearly-finished Bonnetable station, so I think that one might be of use for me and in the Challenge.

• RMweb Gold

OK, from what I’ve read so far I’m taking up the challenge in the “Innovation†category.

(The only things I have ever completed in life were down to deadlines so now you know my motive for joining!)

I’ve no chance in the “Scratch build†category unless LEGO is allowed!

(Even then, my 4 year old son could probably beat me!)

Kev.

As I was driving home tonight a thought leapt into my brain unbidden. (yes, just renewed my poetic license) Was "How about the Buckland Hard warehouses?"

So scratchbuilding warehouses, based on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45430-totnes-quay-warehouses-gentrified/ - Don't know what they'll turn out like - have to design the details first,But if I don't get my @rse in gear nothing will happen to the bare baseboards

Although always welcoming RMWeb Challenges, I do have the fear that these are both quite "highbrow" and will exclude the majority. I am not saying that we do not all have the potential to become inventors, just that I would estimate that the majority of us would not dream of being one (I'm certainly in that category).

I scratchbuild, but I know my standards are not up to some on here, . . .

I like the idea of the challenge as in theory it should get more people involved than previous layout style challenges but as already stated it may exclude the majority, probably also including my self.

Kenton, I can't see where you get the highbrow bit from for the scratchbuilding - but I do agree that not all of us are inventors.

Campaman, the only person who is putting your standards down is you!

I have a few Ideas for scratchbuilding - some more complex than others, and this challenge will spur me into doing something, even if it is the most basic of boxes!

Archived