Model Rail 168 (Spring)

Chris Nevard

Model Rail 168 Spring 2012 Highlights

On sale 22 March 2012 (with subs copies often arriving a few days before)

post-6681-0-68152700-1331809705.png

PETE WATERMAN EXCLUSIVE:

A rare glimpse of Pete's 'O' gauge diesel fleet in action on his 'Leamington Spa' layout, with photographs by Chris Nevard.

MODEL OF THE YEAR 2012 – THE RESULTS

LAYOUTS:

'Outon Road' (Late 1980s 'OO'), photographed by Chris Nevard

'Springhead Junction' (BR/preservation 'OO')

NEW LAYOUT SERIES:

Gilbert Barnatt outlines the ideas and planning behind his new layout 'Peterborough North' (1950s BR steam 'OO'). Essential reading for anyone planning their own 'dream' layout. Photographed by Chris Nevard

FIRST REVIEWS:

Heljan WMD railbus, Hornby '4F' 0-6-0, Hornby Railroad Class 31 & Warship, Hornby LNER Gresley Full Brake

HOW TO:

Build a working level crossing, install sound for 'N' gauge diesels, use Deluxe Materials glues, build lightweight baseboards, detail, weather and distress an EWS Class 47

READER PROJECTS:

Build a 'B4' dock tank for £20

Building a Loram Rail Grinding Train

PLUS:

First pictures of the Heljan AC Cars railbus and Class 128 parcels railcar, News, Q&A and much more!

~

Model Rail is published every 4 weeks which means 13 issues a year, hence this issue is called 'Spring'.

<<Edited for typos>>

Ian, update; it's in 169 (19 April '12) and confirmed by the editor. The issue being 'worked on' is often one issue ahead of the next one out, especially after it's gone for press - that could be the confusion - sorry about that.

Good things come to those that wait - and it will be worth it!

• RMweb Premium

Some good layout features to look forward to in this one, cheers Chris!

Meanwhile, the Railroad Warship review's in there to remind us it's really the April issue :jester:

Is it really that bad? Yes, I suppose it is!

Jeff

NEW LAYOUT SERIES:

Gilbert Barnatt outlines the ideas and planning behind his new layout 'Peterborough North' (1950s BR steam 'OO'). Essential reading for anyone planning their own 'dream' layout. Photographed by Chris Nevard

Sounds as though this could be quite interesting. :jester:

But it does seem to be an odd way of 'using' a new RTR loco :scratchhead: ; great 'detailing'/ weathering job but then just leave it stuck in a corner instead of having it there to run.

Or you could do like most of us do with all that we buy - leave them untouched, stuck in a corner :D

Good edition,

I really like Outon road, that ticks all the boxes for me. On a slightly critical note, I would have liked some detail of how the scenics were done and some gen on the locos pictured which are clearly not stock items. I know MR doesn't do the old 'ballasting was the usual mix of.....' beloved of one of the other mags but would have appreciated more detail.

That railgrinder was epic, I wish I had 300 hours to devote to a project !

Cheers for the big up on Outon Road. Was nice to see it in print and Chris did great work on the photos as usual. It is a shame that I wasnt able to go into more detail on how the scenics were done or how the locos were modified but there is only some much you can fit into an article. If you check out my layout thread here on RMWeb I will endeavour to answer any questions. Im always approachable at exhibitions too as I love to chat model building.

Cheers

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Some good layout features to look forward to in this one, cheers Chris!

Meanwhile, the Railroad Warship review's in there to remind us it's really the April issue :jester:

Are you suggesting that their ought be a spoiler alert? By the time my copy arrives, I'll have forgotten that April is well past = end of May?

Kevin Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought Chris's pictures of Leamington were some of the best I've ever seen, helped by some really convincing weathering on the blue diesels.

I enjoyed the other layout articles, both Outon Road and Springhead junction. I was a bit puzzled by the shot of Springhead in its shed, as it looked as if it was on two levels - but there was no mention of this in the text?

Archived