Ydna

BEXFORD TMD

post-14666-0-42844300-1333036766_thumb.jpg

Update - 15/03/2012:

Hi all,

This new thread is for my little test-board which I've named Bexford TMD. It only consists of two tracks, not even connected by a point (which is supposedly off-scene). The base of chip-board measures about 1' in length, meaning that a Class 60 can only just squeeze on! Just like my main exhibition layout, this is modern image. The project is not really a layout, but more a diorama / photo plaque, I suppose. It only exists so I can test my weathering, scenic and building methods before launching into the same jobs on my actual exhibition layout, Almere Road TMD.

Below are one or two pictures of the layout so far (as of March 2012)...

post-14666-0-49710600-1331836131_thumb.jpg

37219 on scene:

post-14666-0-54318300-1331836147_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-51277900-1331836173_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-95190600-1331836184_thumb.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

More on this small side-project to come soon.

Nice little idea Andy looks like a good start, we're did you get the low relief buildings from, there just what I'm looking for.

I think that 37 needs some powders on it ha ha

Thanks. I made the low-relief Jewson warehouse from scratch... It basically just some MDF cutouts with some shredded cardboard stuck on at equal distances apart. I then gave the whole thing a few coats of thickish acrylic paint and produced the Jewson logos and advertisement on the computer. I think its a bit overscale, but they look OK to me. I might make a full tutorial about it on my blog soon. I'm making 4 larger ones to go on the backscene of Almere.

I agree with you on the very clean 37 matter. I'm going to take a look at the thread recommendation you gave me about the powders.

Thanks,

Andy

Another update:

Basically, all of the ballast is now laid. I used the usual method of spreading out the ballast and messing about with it until I was happy with the look. I then used the common solution of an equal mix of PVA and water plus a drop of washing-up liquid. I used an old Dettol spray bottle to spray the liquid onto track evenly. I gave it a decent helping because I find that it doesn't work if you don't apply a good amount. The pictures below illustrate the progress...

post-14666-0-43376400-1332100618_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-38466100-1332100691_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-82823700-1332100678_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-45889900-1332100662_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-13798900-1332100633_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I've also finished the warehouse by simply adding the roof. However I made the slightly massive mistake of glueing the ridges of the roof the wrong way. In reality, the rain would of course drain by gravity, down the sloping roof, directed by the channels between the ridges. If this was Almere Road TMD, I would have re-done it but this is only a test-board so I'm not bothered at all. I've also painted the ground an earth colour and the reaction of the PVA/water ballast mix has 'chemically reacted' with the Acrylic paint rather nicely by breaking up the pigments making the ground look a bit more realistic. I half way through painting the edges of the board black as well.

Anyway, that's about it for the time being. The next job will be adding scenics and weathering. Please remember that this project it only a small test-board for my larger exhibition layout, Almere Road TMD. I'm only doing this side project so I don't muck up the scenics on that! Eventually (and by that, I mean when Almere is literally finished) this project might be enlarged, but for now it'll stay a foot long :)

Thanks for viewing,

Any comments welcome.

More on this project coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Its been a while, but Bexford has come a long way recently - 60% complete I'd say...

I started by neatening up the ballast which was featured in the previous update above, then I began to use filler to make the rail-level concrete. I then sanded, repaired and painted that, weathered the track and got on with the green scenics. I've also glued on the low-relief warehouse unit permanently. I was forced to remove the smaller cardboard back-board on the right hand side as it started to warp after I applied some black paint to the back. Long story, but basically I've replaced it with another one. All the progress pics can be seen on my 'Bexford TMD' Album in my Gallery. Below are two photos of the current unfinished state which this mini test-board is in...

post-14666-0-58903500-1333035139_thumb.jpg

post-14666-0-03979000-1333035966_thumb.jpg

47599, an old Lima loco on scene. There's only really one photo angle that you can use as its so small!

I used clamps to hold the warehouse unit in position for gluing, with pieces of card to distribute the pressure of the clamp and when I removed these pieces of card I discovered that some of the blue paint had stuck to them, so I'll need to patch that up at a later date. Apart from that, I need to glue on the light blue paper for the sky on the smaller back-board which I replaced, and tidy bits up here and there. I'm reasonably happy with the way the track weathering has turned out although i added an uneven amount of black weathering powder to the bottom right-hand side of the ballasted area which looks a tad odd, but I'm not bothered as this is only a little test-board! Currently, a lot of my locos are stored away, patiently waiting for Almere to gain some track, so I've had to use an old, unweathered Lima 47 and Hornby 56 as well as some less-precious wagon stock for photo taking.

More progress and pictures soon hopefully. As I say, all the other progress pics can be seen on my 'Bexford TMD' Album in my Gallery.

Thanks for looking,

Andy

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived