BR cattle Van -options For 4mm.

I had a project in mind to grab some Dapol/Airfix cattle wagons and modify to the ferry version as condemned stock heading to the scrapper. Looks as if no one stocks Dapol in this part of the Antipodes so I will need to source from elsewhere.

If I'm going to those lengths what other options are there for BR cattle vans - is there an etch for example and what about the Bachmann RTR version?

The basics of the mod is solid planks on the sides and a retention tank beneath so a kit might be easier to work on. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks Kev.

(null)

• RMweb Gold

Having looked into the GW variants, I think I saw a post on here saying that the Bachmann model is the last GW diagram (though it would have spent more of its life in BR colours.

Another option to consider are the earlier GW diagrams (kits available from Coopercraft) and the short wheel base (which can be converted from coopercraft or airfix/Dapol kits)

In the case of the BR version, dont bother buying brand new Dapol kits, you would be far better off buying unbuilt airfix off ebay. None of mine have cost more than a fiver including (UK) postage and you frequently see them being sold in batches of 3 or 4

As well as being cheaper, the Dapol tools for most of the old airfix and kitmaster kits are (from experience of other kits in the range) have aged (meaning the kits now have more flash etc) The Airfix branded kits from the original production are much crisper

The Airfix kits are very nice. The main problem is that the doors are designed to open, so some work is required to remove the overscale working hinges. It was a few years since I built these, but I seem to recall that there are several different batches of these wagons with detail differences, hence the replacement strapping on one of them.

post-1187-0-85448200-1331985186.jpgpost-1187-0-53060400-1331985233.jpg

Having looked into the GW variants, I think I saw a post on here saying that the Bachmann model is the last GW diagram (though it would have spent more of its life in BR colours.

Another option to consider are the earlier GW diagrams (kits available from Coopercraft) and the short wheel base (which can be converted from coopercraft or airfix/Dapol kits)

The OP specifically mentioned the ferry cattles diag 1/254 examples - http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcattle/e201301ef and http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brcattle/e259fe7f8

The Airfix Cattle does seem to be the only suitable starter. It is strange to me that there are no etched kits for the original BR Cattle vans - etching would lend itself to the cutouts in the sides etc. Now there is the Bachmann spoiler it is unlikely any small manufacturer will add one.

Paul Bartlett

Cheers all, it was specifically the 1/354 conversions of the BR-built batches. I can't get to see a Bachy in the flesh but a foot too long would make the effort of converting pointless. Looking at the diagram in Rowland the difference between 1/352 and 1/353 is essentially an inch at the eaves and then detail. Looks like Airfix is the way but it was worth checking.

By the way, I've looked long and hard at Paul's fots and can't see evidence of ferry tie down points - is that correct?

Kev

Cheers all, it was specifically the 1/354 conversions of the BR-built batches. I can't get to see a Bachy in the flesh but a foot too long would make the effort of converting pointless. Looking at the diagram in Rowland the difference between 1/352 and 1/353 is essentially an inch at the eaves and then detail. Looks like Airfix is the way but it was worth checking.

By the way, I've looked long and hard at Paul's fots and can't see evidence of ferry tie down points - is that correct?

Kev

The diagrams were different weights, so had different journals, as well as the roof profile being markedly different.

No tie down - there were enough stanchions on the side that these wouldn't have been necessary. These wagons only worked to Dunkirk where they were unloaded.

Of course, I didn't realise what I was photographing at Barry! I hadn't taken any other Cattle wagons at that time.

Paul Bartlett

What was different about the "ferry" vans?

Ed

They were converted from dia 1/252 and 1/253 van by replacing the slotted with solid planks and the addition of a floor drain feeding a retention tank from each end. Very subtle difference but worth building. Look at the sides of the 2 vans that Paul linked to earlier.

Those 2 detailed vans look the dogs (bulls?) bits Pete. Very subtle weathering.

• 1 year later...

I'm a late arrival to this party and should begin by complimenting Pete McFarland for his second model with the correct bracing; very good!

My own effort appeared in Model Rail in September 2003 and as the pictures got mangled, I have posted them on my website in as-taken condition with grey background for the eight constructional pictures (everything got turned white and the mods, almost invisible). Below are two samples: 

11875581916_ee5bae489e.jpg

11863873206_e518fa410c.jpg

Steve

www.steve-banks.org

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Steve

Could you forward a description of the mods and painting-very impressive, and I have a dozen waiting for a similar upgrade.

Aaargh - just found your message!  The main source is as quoted above, in Model Rail.

More recently I have corrected the images that got mangled by the art department (or whatever) at Model Rail and have posted the originals on my website (see below); both will help you out.

Archived