Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Appleby milk depot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Removed a/c_Phil

Removed a/c_Phil

• Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:00

Just had to post this for those who havn't seen it, simply because it is so inspirational, at least to me !!!!

www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@NO3/6988550541/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 pH

pH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationOriginal western terminus of the CPR

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:40

Is it this one? - http://www.flickr.co...N03/6988550541/
  • Like x 1

#3 edcayton

edcayton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Evenage

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:16

Thank you, that is superb.

Ed

#4 Karhedron

Karhedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,299 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke (not Westphalia)

Posted 19 March 2012 - 13:33

Brilliant shot. Milk on the rails seems to have been an under-covered subject so more material is always welcome. I have one of Mr Robinson's books but I did not realise he was so polific online.

#5 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationWigan

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:48

Great picture, just wondering were they put the brake van.

#6 Karhedron

Karhedron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,299 posts
  • LocationBasingstoke (not Westphalia)

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:55

Good question. For milk trains this was almost always a passenger brake van as these trains needed to un fast in order to get the milk to the bottling plants before it curdled.
  • Like x 1

#7 brossard

brossard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationA Bloke in Quebec

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:32

I had the same question about the brake van. I think it was quite a bit later before fully fitted trains could dispense with a brake.

John

#8 macgeordie

macgeordie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationLast of the Summer Wine territory

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:16

What an excellent photograph. I have often wondered myself how they attached or detached the wagons from the passenger train which usually took them down to Leeds or brought the empties back. Logically it has to be by using the train engine, but what happens to the passengers in the train coaches while this is going on? I was told that special milk trains ran through the night from Appleby down to London but I have never seen any documentary evidence for this, hgowever if the train ran overnight, there wouldn't be many photographs of them anyway. Can anybody shed any light on this? A seperate milk train would make a nice change on my S&C layout Kirkby Stephen West so if anyone has any knowledge of these trains I'd like to hear it.

Ian

#9 Removed a/c_stuartp

Removed a/c_stuartp

• Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:32

It's possibly still in Appleby station (about 100 yds to the left of that pic), the wagons standing on the up main may be the empties waiting to be shunted in once they've extracted the full(s). A lot of Dave Larkin's milk tank pics were taken in Appleby North yard and from conversations years ago with signalmen who used to work there there was a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing between the two.

#10 ELTEL

ELTEL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • LocationWherever the Motorhome takes me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 21:45

This may be a wild goose chase

Was there a milk depot at Utoxeter station in the 50/60s

Anybody got any photographs?

Terry

#11 pH

pH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationOriginal western terminus of the CPR

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:05

This may be a wild goose chase

Was there a milk depot at Utoxeter station in the 50/60s

Anybody got any photographs?

Terry

One here - http://www.flickr.co...N05/7101969475/

#12 davefrk

davefrk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • LocationBonnie Scotland

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:32

As I understand it, at this time the three coaches of the train were left at the station and the train loco took the empty tanks the hundred yards to the depot, swapped them round for fulls then reversed to the coaches and continued on the journey. There are photos of this and other locos with the milk tanks behind the engine in my S&C books

HTH
Dave Franks

#13 macgeordie

macgeordie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationLast of the Summer Wine territory

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:40

As I understand it, at this time the three coaches of the train were left at the station and the train loco took the empty tanks the hundred yards to the depot, swapped them round for fulls then reversed to the coaches and continued on the journey. There are photos of this and other locos with the milk tanks behind the engine in my S&C books

HTH
Dave Franks

Hi Dave

Thanks for the information, I have loads of S&C books but I havn't come accross the pictures you mention above. Can you tell me which book(s) they are in and I'll do a search on Ebay for them. I didn't realise the dairy was so close to the station, I thought it was half a mile or so away.

Cheers
Ian

#14 Removed a/c_stuartp

Removed a/c_stuartp

• Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:32

I did wonder whether there were passenger coaches rather than a brake van out of shot. However, the loco is carrying the Class 9 headcode (pick up goods) and if those are the empties, I couldn't think why a southbound train would be carrying empty tanks from further north.

Edited by stuartp, 15 May 2012 - 09:32 .

#15 ELTEL

ELTEL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • LocationWherever the Motorhome takes me

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:35

One here - http://www.flickr.co...N05/7101969475/

Many thanks

#16 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,055 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:52

I did wonder whether there were passenger coaches rather than a brake van out of shot. However, the loco is carrying the Class 9 headcode (pick up goods) and if those are the empties, I couldn't think why a southbound train would be carrying empty tanks from further north.

Elsewhere on RMweb there is a thread about kickback sidings. I do wonder whether this Class 9 is actually bringing empty tanks that have some from the South, berthed locally elsewhere as suggested, and are now being delivered by the South-facing trip? In a similar fashion, Morden South dairy could only be served by a down train from Wimbledon, and the empty tanks would taken further Down to St Helier, where a runround was available to get onto the Up line, and hence back to Wimbledon.
  • Like x 2