I have also been advised to sell this van and a GER six wheel brake 3rd coach on an auction site and retire on the proceeds. Well, as they are not my kits, I have not been able to do this. So over this week end I bit the
The instructions are not really comprehensive and I would assume the kits were designed with an experienced builder in mind, or at least someone that knew their van/coach 'bits'.
Having built previously a couple of very good Isinglass kits and some beautiful Fozzard coaches, I have gained experience of 'different construction techniques' beyond those required to sort out the superbly buildable Comet Coaches that make up my usual fare. Comet designers really have used their vast experience to plan out 'things that look good but just do not go together without a fight'.
I've also built a Lochgorm LNER van as well and that prepared me for fiddly bits, lots of 'sweating' and some interesting ways of forming joints!
So here is the basic chassis with the body shell perched on top for pic purposes.
So far it has gone OK, however I could not really work out how the ends/sides went together so that was a bit of a 'bodge'.
There is a good pic in Peter Tatlow's 'Historic Carriage Drawings, Vol 3 Non passenger coaching stock. The box top 'drawing' helps a bit, but I have to say this has been another learning curve as to what should be put where.
Also the hinge etches are weird You can put the droplights (two drops on the same etch) in the closed position and these have 'hinges' at each top corner (that you bend into position) so you can position them behind the window voids using the 'hinges and hinge slots in the side etch thus also giving you two top hinges at the same time! These little hinges of course do not initially fit the slots in the sides!
I realised later that you could also position the droplights open and have the hinges fit other slots in the side!
Well I fitted the drops closed and fettled the hinges to fit and then just 'drilled' a 5mm hole in each of the the other 16 existing slots and used my traditional hinge method; that is, Frogmore hinges in nice round 5mm holes. They seem to look OK and the solder has filled the slots but not 'over-run' a great deal.
The 'huge' holes in the nicely detailed solebars (sweated overlays on the base frame) are for the cast J Hangers; something else I'm going to bodge as the suggested method of joining these to the springs seems just impossible. I'll need several drinks before attempting that part of the job along with the brake levers.
Nevertheless, this little kit has turned out to be quite an enjoyable task so far. It's going to be OO and is for someone that has lost the ability to solder such fiddly jobs these days.
Edited by Mallard60022, 20 March 2012 - 18:31 .