Decaffeinated tea and coffee at shows.

industrial

I've always been a bit curious about decaffeinated tea (I only became aware of its existence a few years ago). Does anyone really notice the caffeine "hit" from it, or is it mostly psychological?

Some days I'll drink half a dozen cups of the stuff, others usually only one and sometimes none at all, in fact I often go for days without any and have never noticed any 'comedown' or the like.

By the way, I'm another one of those modern day oddities (or so it seems) who likes a spoonful of 'full fat' sugar in his tea!

• RMweb Gold

Speaking from personal experience, I couldn't survive an exhibition without caffeine. :)

Cheers

David

Ditto! The norm should remain as the good stuff with the caffeine in it for us exhibitor types. If the host club choses to make decaff available too, well that's very thoughtfull and considerate of them. Each to their own and all that.

• RMweb Gold

One of our group likes his de-caff tea so we thought long and hard, consulted Stephen Hawkins*, plotted the graphs, did the data normalisation and came up with a horribly complex solution - he takes his own tea bags along.

* other physicists are available.

NOTTINGHAM East Midlands EXHIBITION 2012:

DECAFFEINATED BEVERAGES

Well, as Industrial hasn't told us whether his OP question was from the viewpoint of an exhibitor or a visiting member of the public, there is not a lot we can say or do at this stage.

The catering contractor we employed has told me, however, that decaffeinated beverages were available at the Nottingham show over the weekend and that they "... were served, when people asked for them, as several customers did ..." over the weekend.

Until we know Industrial's status we cannot progress his queries/complaints further.

Ian

I think the accidentally purchased box of Earl Grey tea remains unopened at the clubrooms. If I remember I will take it along to the exhibitors' lounge at Trainwest. That way it can stay unopened somewhere else.

As for the issue of caffeine or not, like many clubs, we are in the hands of the venue's caterers. However, given that we are shelling out £1,200 for exhibitors' meals and drinks, I will ask for decaffeinated drinks to be made available.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager, Trainwest

www.trainwest.org.uk

Like many i need caffeine and lots of it at a show so if we are getting into preferences I always drink a cafetierre of coffee at home - i suppose its a bit of an ask but if we are getting down to these fine details - real coffee please!

One of our group likes his de-caff tea so we thought long and hard, consulted Stephen Hawkins*, plotted the graphs, did the data normalisation and came up with a horribly complex solution - he takes his own tea bags along. * other physicists are available.

The same goes for fizzy beverages- not everyone likes to drink tea or coffee all day (although Nottingham did have a range of cordials and just plain cold water available), and I wouldn't expect a show to go to the expense of buying in anything else, so I took my own.

This is a similar situation to one in a previous blog about catering at exhibitions. You cannot expect caterers to provide for everyone. I will drink coffee of any type but I appreciate that there are some who cannot drink anything but de-caff. I cannot eat food with gluten in - I have coeliac disease - and therefore take my own to shows whether exhibiting or just visiting.

For medical reasons I need to minimise my caffene intake, though the odd caffenated drink does me no harm. Like others I find decaff tea bags generally OK (Typhoo, PG Tips) but nearly all supermarket own brand decaff coffee I find tasteless. Trying several brands, I find Kenco Decaff tastes very nice. Of course it's a personal taste. Having tried umpteen brands of decaff, I'll now stick to Kenco - even the wife likes it, so we only need 1 jar on the shelf.

I think the sensible thing at exhibitions etc is at least to visibly state wether the beverage on offer is standard or decaff.

Brit15

This is the first time I have been on here sense I posted the topic.

Ian I was on the exhibitors side at the show and it was your hard working crew who served me.

I had started taking decaffeinated tea as my dad had to stop having caffeine in his tea as well as none in the coffee but we were already on the decaffeinated coffee for years. A good make of tea you can't tell the difference at all between the two. At one time my mum complained about a bad head if we hadn't had the cups of tea but at that time we had not realised it was the lack of caffeine which was the problem.

I posted this topic to get people thinking over this and what is best for their show.

Industrial,

Thanks for letting me know.

There still shouldn't have been a problem, as our catering contractor also provides our catering provisions The girls may not have been aware of the necessity for decaffeinated beverages, unless we're advised on the exhibitor's acceptance form. Having said that, a box of some strange, minty, herbal tea (I don't drink any sort of tea - can't you tell !) was returned to our clubrooms from the Exhibitor's room at the show !

It seems to be a case of exhibitors' telling us of their requirements and us making sure that both our people and our contractors are aware in advancee. Please rest assured that we'll continue to do our best to address this issue.

Ian

Where does this all stop? A model raillway exhibition provides basic beverages and cakes etc usually which satifies most. I drink soya milk reather than diary however I do not expect a coffee shop service to be provided at a Show and instead happily have a black coffee. Maybe I should hold a show in Costa or Starbucks! or even here http://www.dhrs.org/ :rolleyes:

XF

.......a box of some strange, minty, herbal tea was returned to our clubrooms.....

Oh yes!?! :whistle: .......I`d be careful; for, "I thought it was Herbal Tea" is often an excuse by those charged with 'possession' :sarcastichand:

Morning... :scratchhead: Not wishing to pour cold water on teabags. ,Has anyone read the process of decaf.tea/coffee..? not a fan... :no:.. Horses for courses.....

Camomile tea,picked fresh from the Camomile lawn...

dt.....

Sounds a bit like Brown Sugar. If the proponents of said stuff actually saw how it was harvested, stored, transported and otherwise cared for then they'd never touch the stuff again!

• RMweb Gold

Sounds a bit like Brown Sugar. If the proponents of said stuff actually saw how it was harvested, stored, transported and otherwise cared for then they'd never touch the stuff again!

Ho ho, did you see Dr Silly Shirt on Supersize/Superskinny last night "making" some jelly sweets for the skinny one ........

That's why its called "refined"

Having said that, a box of some strange, minty, herbal tea (I don't drink any sort of tea - can't you tell !) was returned to our clubrooms from the Exhibitor's room at the show !

Mrs 298 has admitted to bringing that along, although I don't quite understand her logic in taking a whole box and assuming any other exhibitors might be interested in a cup of it....

I am "susceptible to malignant Hyperpyrexia under anaethesia" Which is quite a mouthful but as well as being able to die if some doctor tries to give me the normal anaethetics. It also means I am sensitive to Caffine, Just one cup of real coffee will send my heart racing, so I find decaf coffee a good idea and every Show I've been to has had it (even if it was hidden away somewhere).

In the last six months I've also become Diabetic.... so a full fat Coke would cause me real problems!!!

The Q

Archived