Paisley Canal No.2 Signal Box

IC126

• 7 months later...

Progress to report:

Absolutely none on the layout, but I've finally managed to more or less complete my railway room.

As could be seen in my post last October detailing the damage to the trackwork during the house move, the room is a reasonable space, but could hardly be described as homely.

With the 2010 Challenge and the bitterly cold winter here in Norway out of the way, I could again spend time on improving my creature comforts.

I finished painting the room in light blue, which seemed a reasonable background colour, both to represent a neutral sky colour and also the light blue of the Scottish Region... Light Blue also happened to be left over from painting the kitchen. You can take the boy out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the boy...

post-7058-0-56353100-1314284168.jpg

One side of the room houses the layout and my workbench, supported on a reasonably homogenous and practical collection of chests of drawers and cut down shelf units from a well known Scandinavian manufacturer.

There is (or rather should be) a large picture window hidden by the screen. This was rotten and needs replacing. It's was securely boarded up by the previous owners and shall be attended to as funds allow. For the moment the screen presents a better aspect than the insulation material.

post-7058-0-45353500-1314284124.jpg

The other side of the room was fitted out as a study when the house was originally built in the 1930s and features a large built-in cupboard unit. A lick of paint later and it's just the job for holding large 0 Gauge loco boxes and Railway DVDs for me, plus some Postman Pat DVDs for the wee girl.

post-7058-0-90229900-1314284170.jpg

The TV and Hi-Fi were cascaded from other rooms following the house move as was the sofa, rather fetchingly upholstered in good old Trojan Moquette. For some reason Mrs IC126 didn't find the combination of scratchy railway fabric and out of style sofa to be suitable for the living room of her fine new house.

The fabric was originally purchased for patch repairs to the Intercity DMU, but became surplus to requirements when we commissioned the original suppliers (Holdsworth) to remake a close copy of the original pattern as part of the HLF restoration.

Lastly, some photos of the layout in it's new home. (Note: Rule 1 applies).

post-7058-0-01528800-1314284131.jpg

post-7058-0-06493900-1314284133.jpg

post-7058-0-89678800-1314284134.jpg

I think it is the Steve Beattie kit but I'm not 100% sure... I bought it ready built on eBay some years ago when I first moved into 0 Gauge from a member of the support group for D8233.

The eBay listing stated that proceeds would go towards D8233's generator rebuild which, as a fellow preservationist, was a good enough push for me to buy a completed model rather than the kit.

I was very happy with the quality of the loco - the kit has been very neatly built but needs some final detailing and painting (the detailing pack with headcode discs, etc was included with the model). The kit is mostly etched with some minor parts (radiator grille recesses) in resin. The Steve Beattie kit had been recently updated and re-released at the time I bought the model so I have always assumed that this was the kit used. Unfortunately Steve's website doesn't provide much information so I can't really confirm this 100%.

NB - personal gripe of mine is lack of photos on trader's websites. As I live in Norway, I don't have much opportunity to visit shows and purchase direct, but a couple of nice photos is very likely to sway a purchase on 'tinternet.

Archived