Cleaning brass kits ...what do you use....

Wash down with water to neutralize any remaining flux, leave to dry on the spray booth turntable, then quickly spray over with Halfords Surface Cleaner to degrease, once dry ( about 15 minutes) spray the first coat of paint.

Another vote for Vim, a tooth brush and hot water - lots of it. Also have been known to put it in the dishwasher (without any of the dirty plates), soon shows up the soldering misfits, as they wash down the drain.

I find that greasy fingers is the worst enemy of getting undercoat to stick. So use gloves from final wash.

My preference is for Sainsburys Basics Washing Up Liquid, warm water and an old toothbrush.

It's as cheep as chips and does the job. I've not had any problems with this method yet.

The problem with this it contains lanolin and paint does not like it.

I use a scouring powder and viacal and tooth brush, (good for finding all the loose bits), just prior to painting. Again wearing gloves at all the final stages.

Thanks for the replies chaps ......

this question cropped up after a discussion in the shop yesterday...which ranged through Cola...acids ....various de-greasers and cleaners...but it looks like the vim/cif option is the most common ...and as is mentioned washing up liquids do have residues ..to add sparkle !!! :no:

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

Yes, the big problem with washing up liquids is lanolin, an additive to help prevent the skin on the hands from drying out too much, some have more than others, leaving a slight greasy surface.

Cola, and certain acids can prevent etch primers from doing the job properly.

I use Halfords Surface Cleaner as it does just what it sez on the tin, 'helps to prepare surfaces for painting'.

How does the Halford's surface cleaner work, then?

I get that it dissolves all grease etc, (at least, that's whsat I assume?), but where does the grease go when the s/c evaporates? Surely it would just go back on the model?

Or am I missing something yet again?

The problem with this it contains lanolin and paint does not like it.

While lanolin is usually added to the more expensive washing up liquids to make your hands soft, they don't bother putting it in the cheepo stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Cif and a 'value' toothbrush. Then when dry a wipe with cellulose thinners before painting.

Apparently you can also use Cif to clean sinks...

As above and the finish off in a warm ultrasonic bath, then stick it on the radiator to dry for about 20mins with a clean tea towel over it.

I know it horrifies people, but I just pop the model in the dishwasher; works a treat.

I've been told that it leaves some sort of residue, but I rather suspect that after the high-temperature rinse cycle all that's been washed away.

The possible issue is the use of rinse aid - you know the "adds sparkle" stuff. One of the reasons I offer to fill the dishwasher is that when it demands rinse aid I can sneak in a kit only wash. Of course the "sparkle" will remain after a high-temperature rinse because it is designed that way.

The possible issue is the use of rinse aid - you know the "adds sparkle" stuff. One of the reasons I offer to fill the dishwasher is that when it demands rinse aid I can sneak in a kit only wash. Of course the "sparkle" will remain after a high-temperature rinse because it is designed that way.

Ah, that makes sense!

I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.....!

How does the Halford's surface cleaner work, then?

I get that it dissolves all grease etc, (at least, that's whsat I assume?), but where does the grease go when the s/c evaporates? Surely it would just go back on the model?

Or am I missing something yet again?

Anyone know the answer?

Archived