Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Beast meets a barn owl, with a camera for a change

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

On my way home from work, I saw a flash of white along the hedgerow and realised it was a barn owl, I quickly stopped the car and saw the owl had landed on a post, across the field. I snapped a shot with the 200mm lens which was already on the camera, I then fitted the 2X adapter, sadly it continued the hunt before I could get a better shot, so I had to grab a couple whilst it was flying, I'm quite pleased with these, my first owl shots, as the owl was diving periodically to check out a movement or two, so not easy to track it, especially as the lens was at 400mm,

Hope you enjoy the diversion, and I don't mean HSTs over the fens.

post-6662-0-99595100-1332456648.jpg

post-6662-0-40761300-1332456651.jpg

post-6662-0-18875900-1332456654.jpg

post-6662-0-25524900-1332456657.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Superb pictures Dave. I've shot a few images of raptors at a falconry centre and even in those relatively controlled conditions it is challenging to catch them on the wing. You have done your wild subject proud.

• RMweb Gold

Dave can you post the third pic in high res please?

Pete

As long as it's not for a competition entry Pete ! :P

Will post it when I can, it might be Sunday before I get around to it, but if I haven't posed by Sunday pm then drop me a pm to remind me, a lot on this weekend, and tonight.

post-7319-0-83878900-1332502654_thumb.jpg

1. Nice shots of a owl in the daylight.
  2. I had a Barn Owl fly through the back yard being chased by magpies (Australian) one day, it was very close.
  3. Above is a photo of an Owl at Hereford Market (May2011), we were able to touch this one, it gave my wife a peck too.

Mark in OZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This morning on my way to work I was driving along and a familiar shape of yet another (a new sighting) barn owl flew over my car and low into the field, I stopped as soon as I could but due to the narrow road it was about 50 yards beyond the sighting, I grabbed my camera and lenses and was returning to the area when I spotted the owl sitting on a fence, head down, about 20 yards away, I carefully and as quietly as I could swapped the lens for the telephoto, the owl looked at me, he had a mouse in his beak, what a picture this would make, the camera came up and ... the little so and so flew off !

Another one to watch for though - I think that makes about 12 pairs (hopefully pairs and not solitary owls) I know of now.

• RMweb Gold

I would not of taken you for a Naturalist Dave you will have Chris Packem knocking on your door for tips.

Pete

Was that naturalist or naturist Pete ? :P

I've always been interested too some degree or other in the wildlife around me, 2 legged and 4 legged ! but owls are a particular interest and it's nice to be able to see them on my way to/from work - beats the M56 any day of the week.

Archived