IZA (Hfirrs3) Cargowaggon Twin Vans in S7

Where is the queue for parts?

Somewhere in the future :D

I will make a batch of these available at some point, but I'll need to build at least one first, just to make sure I haven't made any massive cock-ups in the design!

Martin, that looks absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see your assembly pics!

Thanks Guy, you hopefully shouldn't have to wait too long before some appear.

Hi Pugs, looking brilliant. I haven't been 'over here' for a while now, but still can't believe I've missed this thread!

Not sure if it's too late now, but I heard a tip for cleaning up rough printed parts a little while back.. Not sure if it works or not, but hovering the piece above ethanol can help. The fumes will gently melt the feathering on the print giving it a nice smooth surface...

As I say no idea if it works or not, but might be worth a try?!

Hope all's well!

JB.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever done something and then later wondered what thought process might have lead you into thinking it was a good idea? Well, that's what happened to me when I set to building the first set of etches - I have no idea why I decided that a locating slot running 2/3rds the length of the floor was a good idea. It isn't.

So, having ascertained that the floor and some of the underframe components are going to require a redesign, I thought I'd press on with the rest of the build anyway, to see if I've made any other howlers during the design process. This is how things stand at the moment:

post-6668-0-59606200-1423680047_thumb.jpg

It isn't going to win any prizes for neatness, but then this one is only ever going to be used as a test bed, I think. What also hasn't helped is that I managed to make the floor wavy by trying to straighten it out in my metal roller. I'm not quite sure how I managed to do that, but it made a difficult job even harder. One positive thing I have discovered, though, is how much nicer nickel silver is to solder than brass. More kits should be made of this material, it's great!

For the next iteration, I'm going to replace the long slot in the floor with a series of shorter ones and I'll probably add half etched location lines to make the job a little easier. I'll probably also add a couple of little jigs that will sit over the longitudinal members to help hold them in place whilst soldering. If I come away from this only having to amend one sheet, I'll be happy.

Meanwhile, the build will continue.

Absolutely excellent work! I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar product for 4mm scale?

None that I'm aware of, they've never even been done in kit form, which is surprising as they've been extensively used on the UK network since their introduction in 1986.

• 4 months later...

A couple of roof photos, think this is the version you are modelling. Got similar of the other variants, there seems to be three different designs plus the high roof version.

Graham

7343118576_0a8a8fbfeb_z.jpg

7157913033_6fab5411da_z.jpg

If you have a high angle photo like this that shows the other two types I'd very much like to see it please?

Thanks,

Jon

So to test my understanding of the twin vans

post-336-0-82051400-1434823430.jpg

the Hfirrs3 have ribbed upper doors and holes in end stanchions , but the Hfirrs4 don't and have an extra fold at shoulder level and somewhat narrower central roof?

Jon

• 6 months later...

Archived