New OO gauge Class 73

Good to see the collaboration between modellers & Dapol continuing, this seems to have worked out so well with both the class 22 and the Western, now looks like the same is happening with the class 73, and in both JA & JB variants.

I can see an opening in the market for a class 24 / 25 in both 4 & 7mm built in the same collaborative way.

Many thanks for those cad images Dave.

It' s hard to tell, for sure, from the head on pic., but, I think the front / sides should have a very slight taper in, from solebar, to the the roof.

Also, comparing with Godfrey Glyn's photo and a... (Ahem..Cough !) Lima 73, the bogie width & steps look to be decidedly chunky. I.e. Out of guage.

I wouldn't like to see it riding up any platform ramp.

Regards,

Frank

Edited by Ceptic

Regarding the tapering sides. According to the new Modern Locomotives Illustrated No 198 Electro Diesels Classes 73 and 74 "the locomotive body sides were basically flat, being 8ft 2in (2.49m) wide at the the sole bar, sloping in to 7ft 10in (2.39m) at the cantrail, thus allowing access over the majority of SR lines. The drawings in this issue show the bogies just wider than the body. Hope this helps.

Gerry

Eagerly awaiting the 73. And the 4 Sub. (Well someone's got to do this iconic SR emu!)

• Like 2

Regarding the tapering sides. According to the new Modern Locomotives Illustrated No 198 Electro Diesels Classes 73 and 74 "the locomotive body sides were basically flat, being 8ft 2in (2.49m) wide at the the sole bar, sloping in to 7ft 10in (2.39m) at the cantrail, thus allowing access over the majority of SR lines. The drawings in this issue show the bogies just wider than the body. Hope this helps.

Gerry

Eagerly awaiting the 73. And the 4 Sub. (Well someone's got to do this iconic SR emu!)

The bogies are a 'nadgers' too wide aren't they? Just a 'nadgers' mind ;-)

References to hand, back up your dimensions, Gerry.

8' - 2" max. body width, at top of buffer beam level, with a slight turn-under to sole-bar. This is shown tapering to 7' -10 1/4" at cant rail level.

Also shown, is, 8' - 8" over footsteps.

So, a 'Nadger's' should be approx. 2mm. in OO, or 1mm. each side.

Welsh 'Nadgers' look to be slightly larger than a Southern 'Gnat's Goolies', or is this, just wishful thinking ?. :yes:

Regards,

Frank.

Edited by Ceptic

With reference to Toms photo in post #41 Dave, if you can fit buffers with bright metal inserts (internal shanks?) rather than black plastic this would add a nice touch to the look of the model - painting sprung buffers can be very tricky and sometimes renders them u/s if the paint sticks the two pieces. Certainly will add a bit more credence if you want the ultimate 73.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, any chance of an update of progress with the Class 73? I've five on order and need to plan for the expense! Becasue of this I need to know if they will all come out at once? Or (I'm guessing) phased over a few months?

Oh and a complete list of all the models and specials would be very helpful, so I can check I haven't missed any!

Thanks!

Sorry Miles,

But since my 29th November posting there is nothing more to add at present.

cheers

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply, I was just trying to understand if there all going to arrive in Jan! As my wallet will take a hammering! But I guess Q2 looks more realistic?

• RMweb Premium

The CAD image of the 73 appears in the modelling section of the new issue of Rail Express which is now dropping through subscribers letterboxes.

Dapol are going to be getting a lot more of my money than Hornby next year, never thought I would ever hear myself say that!!!

Hi Miles,

To be honest it would be very wrong of me to even raise a quarter for release.

As a newbie here, and I promise I'm just stating fact not belittling you, please take a look at the Western thread in OO and check out the timeline.

The great thing about this group is not only does everyone have an opinion, but they also have ideas and spot things both myself and others don't. Having said that, I thinking already looks terrific, and the input from here will make it even better. :-)

Hi Michael, the headlight is moulded on, but only features on the versions that will need it as slides are being incorporated to allow us the choice.

Cheers guys

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Miles,

To be honest it would be very wrong of me to even raise a quarter for release.

As a newbie here, and I promise I'm just stating fact not belittling you, please take a look at the Western thread in OO and check out the timeline.

The great thing about this group is not only does everyone have an opinion, but they also have ideas and spot things both myself and others don't. Having said that, I thinking already looks terrific, and the input from here will make it even better. :-)

Dave

OK, slightly offended, as at Alexandra Palace, a rep on the Dapol stand informed me that it would be the end of 2012. Which was obviously not going to happen. So I said summer 2013? To which he replied no, will be much sooner.

I was simply trying to understand when I need to have £500 available for the four I have on order.

Hi miles,

I dont think you should even be slightly offended to be honest. The 'rep' was probalbly myself, and i gave out information that was good and accurate for the time it was given, and as you know, looking through the various manufacturers treads on here, things and circumstances change and this is often unavoidable if not very annoying.

cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

you can tell its coming up to  CNY with the rush of revised cad/cam's etc that come through from China .

They have just come in so i havnt checked them over yet, in fact your getting a better peak at them than i will today.

Here below is an updated set of JA and JB cad pictures for you.

I'm thinking now that i get the steps (bogie, and cab front etc photo etched in steel so that they can be fine enough and have the non slip design on the face. As mentioned on another part of the forum, i'd rather 'design properly' than 'design clever', and i'm a fan on the detail and se our expanding range of models being as good as it is possible to make in terms of detail etc for the price, so please express your opinions. plain or fancy?

Enjoy and feel free to comment.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-49832200-1359021965_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-87039100-1359021981_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-60833500-1359022003_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-36834700-1359022019_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-32501100-1359022033_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-62749000-1359022053_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-30734900-1359022068_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-78779700-1359022090_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-29304800-1359022109_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Dave.

I am sure you are very aware of the different aerial types on the 73/2

The  Railtrack/Network Rail pair, 212 & 213, have their own extra centrally mounted ones, as well as the CSR 'pot' and circular ground plane.

73213cabdetailtonbridge.jpg

And all the Gat-Ex ones lost the NRN aerial for CSR 'pot' radio's ..

73208albanypark.jpg

HTH

Mike.

• Like 2

Though IMHO you are far beyond being a 'niche' manufacturer I think your aim to 'Design Proper' rather than just clever will stand you in good stead for the future.  I realise the detail / cost balance is not easy to get right, but I'm sure Hornby setting off down that route has more to do with their financial / manufacturing problems than being what they would actually like to do.

Your efforts to 'get things right', especially by consulting on this forum is, I think, commendable.  To paraphrase the old car rental advert, "You may be No3, but you try a lot harder!"

• Like 8

Hi guys,

Here below is an updated set of JA and JB cad pictures for you.

I'm thinking now that i get the steps (bogie, and cab front etc photo etched in steel so that they can be fine enough and have the non slip design on the face. As mentioned on another part of the forum, i'd rather 'design properly' than 'design clever', and i'm a fan on the detail and se our expanding range of models being as good as it is possible to make in terms of detail etc for the price, so please express your opinions. plain or fancy?

Enjoy and feel free to comment.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Good to see some of the earlier points on the 73 now incorporated on the latest. One unique 73 feature that's still needs to be included is the extended/recessed 'peg holder' on the buffer headstocks.

As for the tread and kick plates, definitely go for etched. After all you are making the definitive model right?

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Design properly please Dave, you can't start going backwards.

Can't wait til you get rid of the bloody headlight and other modern gubbins!

Mike.

But surely getting rid of the headlight is going backwards (in time)?

Next you'll be asking for an "E" prefix..... :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2