Modelling Inspiration 3

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I don't usually reply to these sorts of threads as I can't really add anything.

On this occasion though I have to agree with this, the photography is stunning!

The images are so crisp and sharp, stunning!

Cheers

Ian

Amazing Andy, just amazing! Who does the photography? They really deserve a pat on the back for bringing to life the stunning layouts.

• RMweb Gold

After much delay it's here

Thanks so much for putting this together Andy.

Yes - many thanks Andy - well worth the wait.

Too much LNER............... :tease:

Couldnt resist this old moan from BRM days........But I don't mean it it honest.

... but a lot of members enjoy reading about other people's efforts at building their own personal Premier Line.

(Living near the southern end of the Marches Line, I guess I'd better refrain from LNWR puns - even if I do like the livery!)

Joking aside, some of us don't have our own layouts - and aren't likely to any time soon - but there's still a lot we can learn from this.

An excellent e-zine - brilliant articles - and outstanding photography. If MI4 is anything like this, it will be well worth the wait.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

What else is there to say? Absolutely incredible. If it had taken a year, it would still have been worth the wait. (I'd even pay double the cover price :D )

Thanks for the supportive feedback on this issue!

It would be helpful to know particular elements or ways of doing things that you do like or even don't like. The only negative mentioned has been about the smoke effects; my personal perspective on this is that it's fantastic being there and taking the pictures and seeing the model in operation and a simple 2D representation of that doesn't give you the same 'being there' feeling. Beyond the smoke a few of the pictures also have blurring of the motion of locos to give an interpretation of being there, seeing it and feeling the atmosphere of the model. In some ways I'm trying to lend an atmosphere that the modeller is conveying in the 3D model. Subject matter under discussion is integration of video content into the articles to better communicate the feel of the layout, the handicap to that is I'm no videographer.

MI is developing a pictorially led style which makes the best use of the online medium telling part of the story of a layout within the captions rather than being lengthy narrative which some readers feel uncomfortable with spending too long in front of a screen reading a volume of text so this kept for where text is important to the article rather than where imagery is the more important element.

I want a good proportion of MI to be about aspirational modelling blended with achievable, interesting and accessible articles; I want it to be high-standard but not exclusive.

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the 'smoke effect' but would really like to see it 'go totown' on,say, just one pic which includes the lot - safety valves lifting, steam around the motion from draincocks or from injectors etc to see if it could really lift a pic fully out of the ordinary level of excellence which MI is offering. (Bet that would really get some folk going - but it does add 'life' I think.)

And yes, I do like the use of a 'picture narrated' style and the idea of 'accessible aspiration' is - I think - just right.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely staggeringly high quality, Andy (not that the first 2 issues were of lesser quality, mind!). Top class photography and highly inspirational layouts featured. This dyed-in-the-wool S&DJR/BR (WR) enthusiast never knew that the LNER had so many attractions! It makes me want to get my J72 out and knock a few wagons around!

But... credit where it's due to the big LNER layout builders and all, one of the most interesting articles for me (apart from the Balcombe Viaduct one, Rod.... obviously... ;) :D ) was BlackRat's amazing work with the R-T-P resin buildings - top marks that man, there's a PM on it's way to you re Taunton!

OK Mr Warner if you are listening; drop the mixed-up has-been that is the latest edition of BRM, and put this on the shelves of WHS instead!

Too much LNER............... :tease:

Couldnt resist this old moan from BRM days........But I don't mean it it honest.

Entirely in keeping with previous Warners editorial policy, however I would not be suprized if the next three MIs have a Southern, North Western and Scottish slant (for example) to even things up... (other regions are I'm told available...)

Entirely in keeping with previous Warners editorial policy,

The potential irony of perception was not lost on me Paul although the ECML themed content was largely completed some while before the acquisition was agreed. You're entirely correct that some future issues may also feature a certain bias although I try to bring something completely unrelated into it so I don't get the "nothing in it for me" brigade muttering unnecessarily (I'm sure their layouts must have something other than trains on 'em?).

RE Videos - I think that's an excellent idea, however (speaking purely from a commercial perspective) if it was an embedded link to your Youtube channel with monetization applied, this would probably be the best way to get both RMweb, MI, and the layouts concerned out to the wider population of railway modellers, and perhaps even breaking down some barriers for the general populace who may or may not think we just "play with trains" (in a conventional, somewhat stereotyped sense. I definitely still "play with the trains" - who doesn't want to run their trains after all).

I think the video idea also has great merit when you consider the range of layouts and exhibits out there. Think of the high quality of modelling which can be brought and showcased in the best possible way to an even greater audience than before.

Downloaded easily in my hotel in Johannesburg - something decent to read on the plane home Friday night!

Although the top-end of the inspiration

spectrum is catered for, this issue also features low-cost

and basics modelling that anyone can get stuck into. Be

careful though; such thoughts can be dangerous and we see

a fantastic example of what happens when you get carried

away with the Ouse Valley Viaduct article.

Carried away? Moi?

Excellent issue again Andy, and you've worked wonders with the photos and DTP design on the Balcombe article :sungum:

Full page photos with captions is a great move, and I look forward to when we're ready for the full page treatment (not there quite yet!).

Archived