Modelling Inspiration 3

Andy Y

If we all took the same attitude as Penros, [ to paraphrase.." I can't do as well as that, so I'm off "] then RMweb would close in about 2 weeks!

Just to prove him wrong, perhaps Andy should get round to his gaff and take some pictures for MI(x) before the scrap merchant arrives!

WE can't ALL be Olympic champions much as we would like to.

• RMweb Premium

If we all took the same attitude as Penros, [ to paraphrase.." I can't do as well as that, so I'm off "] then RMweb would close in about 2 weeks!

Just to prove him wrong, perhaps Andy should get round to his gaff and take some pictures for MI(x) before the scrap merchant arrives!

WE can't ALL be Olympic champions much as we would like to.

But we dont ALL want to be olympic champions , I just want to have fun with what I do , good bad or indifferent .

With no offence to the owner of Over Peover , how much did he build himself ? We know the trackwork is

by Norman Soloman , we know that Anthony of Treemendus has been doing scenic upgrades , did the owner build the

shed or whatever it's in himself ? How many locos , coaches etc has he built ?

Surely these all constitute part of our hobby that we do ourselves , so although it is a superb model I have to ask , should it be

included in an article such as it has been when so much is obviously bought and paid for as opposed to owner built .

Pete Watermans layout is another that springs to mind here with the same questions .

I could sell my house and move into a tent , rent a shed and have a mega layout built by top craftsmen but should

I then be able to clain it as inspirational ?

The Retford crew is a different matter , this is obviously an on-going multi modeller thing and thus in my view is worthy

of inclusion .

I would be interested in comments from others about the legitimacy if you like of chequebook modelling as opposed

to ' did it my/our ' selves .

• RMweb Gold

I would be interested in comments from others about the legitimacy if you like of chequebook modelling as opposed

to ' did it my/our ' selves .

Are you going to start a thread then Mike - this doesn't seem quite the plaçe to debate the general theory although it's a subject worth debate I think.

As far as MI is concerned it is entirely up to andy to use it to show what he thinks meets the spirit and aim of the title but having said that an important point, to me at any rate, is that it is still modellling and it is still meeting my interpretation of 'inspirational' becuase it does at least make me think.

• RMweb Gold

As a OO modeller, (very losly termed here!), I too am a bit over whelmed by what I have seen (in MI3, and some threads, - stunning! Fantastic even.).

As a modeller, i am wholefully inadiquate, (as a speller too), but I do have talents in other areas.

I now look at MI3 and think of my own work in progress - I WILL produce a better layout for reading MI3.

(OK it will take a little longer but that's not really inportant as I will finish "SHMD - Manchester" five years after I die instead of three years!)

Kev.

;-)

With no offence to the owner of Over Peover , how much did he build himself ? We know the trackwork is

by Norman Soloman , we know that Anthony of Treemendus has been doing scenic upgrades , did the owner build the

shed or whatever it's in himself ? How many locos , coaches etc has he built ?

Surely these all constitute part of our hobby that we do ourselves , so although it is a superb model I have to ask , should it be

included in an article such as it has been when so much is obviously bought and paid for as opposed to owner built .

Pete Watermans layout is another that springs to mind here with the same questions .

The Retford crew is a different matter , this is obviously an on-going multi modeller thing and thus in my view is worthy

of inclusion .

I think it's worth mentioning that John Ryan does model; the first time I met him was in his office whilst he was painting and detailing some Mark 1s whilst making business phone calls. Pete's someone who also knows his onions and can get stuck into a model so there's actually very little difference between us as the middle ground in the hobby and them; we both enjoy the same things. Yes, the Retford crew's efforts are more about graft than money but I think both approaches merit being featured; it's more about good modelling than bank balances. Featuring such work isn't about being elitist but enabling us to see what's out there, a part of which may inspire any one of us.

Being honest I'm sure all of us would have a grand plan we'd fancy a crack at if we won the Euromillions and such is the nature of grand schemes that we could probably do with some help along the way and being in that fortunate position I'm sure we'd want such input to be in capable hands.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's worth mentioning that John Ryan does model; the first time I met him was in his office whilst he was painting and detailing some Mark 1s whilst making business phone calls. Pete's someone who also knows his onions and can get stuck into a model so there's actually very little difference between us as the middle ground in the hobby and them; we both enjoy the same things. Yes, the Retford crew's efforts are more about graft than money but I think both approaches merit being featured; it's more about good modelling than bank balances. Featuring such work isn't about being elitist but enabling us to see what's out there, a part of which may inspire any one of us.

Being honest I'm sure all of us would have a grand plan we'd fancy a crack at if we won the Euromillions and such is the nature of grand schemes that we could probably do with some help along the way and being in that fortunate position I'm sure we'd want such input to be in capable hands.

Many thanks for your input Andy , I have seen Pete Waterman at a couple of shows doing some modelling , on 00 stock rather

strangely , it's also nice to know that John Ryan is also hands on .

But while both the main layouts in MI3 are superbly crafted and presented I still feel that Over Peover is just a dream

for most of us , inspiration is not a word that I associate with a layout on that scale . I am more likely to be inspired by

something that I have some very small hope of emulating .

If it's okay with you I'd like to open this up in a thread in the modelling , musing area to see others thoughts .

It's depressing that "inspirational - achievable" is so far beyond my capability.

Lets keep it real here, its a hobby after all.

I like running, I know I wont crack a 1:40 half marathon but it doesn't stop me having a go and training, I enjoy that and get dead chuffed (pardon the pun) if I do a sub 1:50 and delighted with a 1:45.

Now others would be delighted to do under 2 hours but we dont give up. A great many folks cant run a 100m without puking up or having a coronary. ;)

Apply it to anything............................some are always going to be better.

Its all a journey, and thats the enjoyable part.

I think we are starting to lose a bit of a grip on reality,judging by whats available to see on the net....... yes some are better than others, some are far better modellers than me, but I wont give up and I am not sure that you should, if you are serious about it.

Perhaps its just a phase, we all get like it sometimes and what YOU have achieved, others will look upon with envy.

Looking at your website, then you have nothing to concern yourself over whatsoever. :)

Put it into the perspective it deserves. :)

Its a hobby after all, not life and death! (As someone who deals with it daily.).

I`ve really enjoyed all three of the M.I editions..........and yes, I have been very inspired! :toclue:

I love seeing what a vision, able-hands and a good heart can accomplish; what`er the gauge/scale.....so, I thankyou all! :yes:

... I still feel that Over Peover is just a dream for most of us ,...

Peter Denny's Buckingham was just a dream - a much admired dream for years - then I saw Leighton Buzzard at ExpoEM - and made the comment (I was't the only one) "Isn't it small"

Now whereas most of us cannot achieve this sort of scale/cash/time/effort because they don't have the space/cash/leisure/time this shows what can be done - if you could possibly have the aforementioned qualities/availabilities

But it doesn't stop me dreaming.

• RMweb Premium

Peter Denny's Buckingham was just a dream - a much admired dream for years - then I saw Leighton Buzzard at ExpoEM - and made the comment (I was't the only one) "Isn't it small"

Now whereas most of us cannot achieve this sort of scale/cash/time/effort because they don't have the space/cash/leisure/time this shows what can be done - if you could possibly have the aforementioned qualities/availabilities

But it doesn't stop me dreaming.

There's a fundamental difference to me though, Buckingham was inspirational, largely the work of one man over a number of years creating a railway in miniature. Over Peover leaves me completely cold, it's just a big, expensive model railway to me. They're both unachievable, one because of my lack of skill and the other because of my lack of money.

Is it being argued that we can only be inspired by what we might achieve within our existing resources? Or what we might reasonably stretch to with a tad more effort?

I agree that a big layout that has been largely built by professionals is not, at a spiritual level, as impressive as a big layout built wholly by one person. But I can still enjoy looking at the former. And is it really different to (say) a club layout put together by a team of outstanding modellers who just happen to belong to a particular club?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I won the Lottery or got a novel bought by Hollywood (one as unlikely as the other) I would buy in all the expertise I could, because at my time of life I would not be able to build the layout I (ideally) want all 100% with my own hands. (I'd try to build the wagons though...)

• RMweb Premium

Is it being argued that we can only be inspired by what we might achieve within our existing resources? Or what we might reasonably stretch to with a tad more effort?

I agree that a big layout that has been largely built by professionals is not, at a spiritual level, as impressive as a big layout built wholly by one person. But I can still enjoy looking at the former. And is it really different to (say) a club layout put together by a team of outstanding modellers who just happen to belong to a particular club?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I won the Lottery or got a novel bought by Hollywood (one as unlikely as the other) I would buy in all the expertise I could, because at my time of life I would not be able to build the layout I (ideally) want all 100% with my own hands. (I'd try to build the wagons though...)

I don't fundamentally disagree with anything you say, all I'm saying is that there's a difference between inspirational and impressive.

• RMweb Gold

So if it's an individual that 'pays', 'produces', 'manages', 'inspires', 'what-ever' a layout that requires 'many-hands' to make then this is looked down upon.

If a notable and respected institution did the exact same thing, lets say Pendon or NRM or who-ever, then we would all be singing its praises.

Kev.

Good-on-em.

• RMweb Premium

Making something is more impressive/inspirational/motivating/satisfiying/whatever than buying something to me. 'I made that' rather than 'I bought that'. Others are of course free to buy/make as they see fit, my view is pretty inconsequential at the end of the day.

The e mag is called Modelling Inspiration - and that is exactly what it does - it inspires, me, to at least, have a try to improve my modelling. I'm a very, very average modeller, probably a bit below average looking at most layouts on this site, but I enjoy what I do, the unique way I do it.

I would like a new Jag, The new XJ, fully loaded. I can't afford one, and never will - but it doesn't stop me dreaming whenever I see one, and I still enjoy driving & working on my old 1973 Rover V8 !!

As to "cheque book" layouts, they also inspire me, just like the new XJ. There are some superb blue diesels on Pete Waterman's layout in Model Rail mag (Spring 2012). Dosen't matter to me who built em, and at what cost, they are very nice to see. (Yes I know Pete is also an excellent modeller). Come on Pete, what about an exhibition layout !! (bit late for Wigan in June though !)

I hope Penros has a rethink, the hobby will be worse off if he goes, and he will be worse off without the hobby.

Brit15

...I don't know about anyone else, but if I won the Lottery or got a novel bought by Hollywood (one as unlikely as the other) I would buy in all the expertise I could, because at my time of life I would not be able to build the layout I (ideally) want all 100% with my own hands. (I'd try to build the wagons though...)

It's often said that we are a very broad church and, for me, that's the last thing I would do. Of course I won't be able to do everything I might like in the time remaining to me, but I don't see that as a problem. Each of us seems to get something slightly different out of our modelling, although we can, perhaps, be classified into a number of overlapping groups with particular skills and interests. For me, it is all about making things. I'm happy to modify RTR, build kits or do a bit of scratch work, though the latter is often in the added detail rather than building from raw materials. As examples, I've almost completed a CSP Radstock Sentinel kit which has been very enjoyable, but it is a highly detailed and very complete kit, so the enjoyment has been a little less than when I built a Craftsman Johnson 1P and, because of the simplicity of the kit, I was able to scratch build a variety of additional details like the push-pull gear.

As others have said, some large layouts where everything is built by professionals do leave me cold but, on the other hand, being able to watch some of those professionals at work on RMweb, and to interact with them gives me great enjoyment and inspiration. So, indirectly, I'm glad there are folk out there who are happy to wield their checkbooks and keep the pros busy.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

All the first 3 editions of MI have inspired me - I see the modelling as something I want to aspire to and try to raise the bar on my own standards.

If the content was not inspirational, then surely the title of the mag would change and there would be a fair few grumbles about the lack of inspiration?

• RMweb Premium
.... I don't know about anyone else, but if I won the Lottery or got a novel bought by Hollywood (one as unlikely as the other) I would buy in all the expertise I could, because at my time of life I would not be able to build the layout I (ideally) want all 100% with my own hands. (I'd try to build the wagons though...)

Respect your point of view Poggy; but I'd buy in help for the really tedious bits of life, washing up, shopping, doing e-mails that sort of thing. I'd not want to buy in help with my trainset.

My interests lie in locos, carriages and operation. The rest is poo but I've got it to do! If I won the lottery I'd hire a professional to do the poo bits. But seriously, I get a lot of modelling inspiration on here but I know where to draw the line and strike a balance. They are not limitations so much as self-imposed limitations, for instance the 00 bullhead track and points on the Peterborough North layout look smashing to me but I'll never lay track like that. The reason is I know I can live with Peco Streamline and it's ease of wiring. It is the things I can't live with that are the things I learn to do for myself.

On one of Fred Dibnah's tapes he was talking about "the afterlife". Heaven for Fred was a dozen rusty traction engines, a load of steel stock, a forge, tools, equipment, and limitless time.

I wonder what Fred is up to right now ?

My "afterlife" would be to build something similar to these inspirational layouts. (I would need forever to up my skill levels !!!). Sheffield Victoria to Nottingham Victoria in GC days, Gauge 1 perhaps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add - But I have to get there first - I may end up being a fireman stoking the furnaces (Hope it's on a Saltley stoker fitted 9F !!!!)

Brit15

Inspiring stuff, thankyou all who contributed to MI3.

I was especially impressed by both of the East Coast layouts and the photography. For myself, having been an average kit builder in days gone by, I now get pleasure from depicting mostly RTR 00 models in moderately fanciful way, slightly impressionist in style... that way I can avoid having to hand-make bullhead track! For me, models and the sheer pleasure of creating or buying them comes to a degree from the uncomplicated pleasures of seeing the real thing in years gone by. I have great admiration for scratch builders and kit builders, and fully understand the pleasure of modifying things too. Equally I am pleased by such as an unmodified RTR model, recent proprietry offerings are simply stunning.

Thankyou RMweb, and Andy, and the many regular contributors.

Rob

One thing I hope, is that Andy doesn't have second thoughts about doing more MI issues, considering the adverse comments appearing.

No second thoughts Stewart as work is well underway on the next issues and there's some fabulous stuff to come and in fact there's some very tasty images that have been 'processed' over the last couple of days.

I did mention in the comment on the index page of Mi3 that some of the content was aspirational whilst the issue included achievable content and I'll stand by that, to write one or two articles off because that particular content isn't achievable for an individual is missing the point about the aspirational content. I'll never get the time to improve my skills to be competent enough to 'do a Retford' but it doesn't limit my admiration for those who do so.

I intend to aim high for some of the mag's content; it would frustrate me to aim lower to placate those who may find some of the content too 'high-end' but I also aim to include the stuff that any one of us could do but presented in a clear manner which doesn't talk down to its readership or try to 'sex up' the everyday. It's also relevant to say that if I were nit-picking I could find more fault within a grand project than a small project executed well but wise enough to understand that not every layout is perfect in every way but every one featured has strong good points.

I know I won't please everyone with every issue from a content perspective but I would like to feel there's something in there for everyone in most articles if they look beyond the basic classification of a layout or project.

I have read some pretty poor comments elsewhere about the issue, notably from a person who I've never seen any evidence that they have any skill in the area they were criticising but it is in keeping with their general attitude to this site.

Maybe I should consult with the BBFC for some kind of rating system, particularly as the next issue features some content that 99% of modellers can't or wouldn't do to that standard. :P

Andy, you've every reason to be proud of what you've achieved with MI3 and long may it continue. I really don't see what Stewart means by "adverse comments" in this or the spin-off thread. Some of us have suggested that we are more impressed than inspired by some types of layouts but I don't think any of us have suggested they shouldn't be in MI. Other than that, I think we can put up with "too much east coast" so long as you redress the balance later :scratchhead:

Nick

Lets remember the inspirational bit too...........

For some, the FIRST step in modelling may be 'tweaking' something readily available which is why I did the resin buildings article.

From adding simple bits, or a repaint, someone might say," Well I enjoyed that," to then maybe having a go at taking a saw to one (like the goods shed) which may lead to..................

Who knows where!

We tend to forget there are lots of folks out there who haven't as yet had a go at doing anything because they lack the skills, experience or even the bottle to have a go.

We all start somewhere, and I know Andy has a lot of great, sound ideas, on how to take MI (and us with it!!) forward.

Whatever your skills base, or the size of your pocket!

Archived