Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

TCS decoders - using dither

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dave flint

dave flint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:12

I'm trying to improve the running of my sons Thomas locos. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to improve matters (and accept there are limits with their mechanisms) but I fancy one last try.

The main offenders are the 040 and 060 locos, with poor pickups, short wheelbases, and high speed mechanisms. The use of stay alive modules is a prerequisite, and now that tcs offer this, I might try some of their smaller chips.

I'm also hoping that their dither function would help matters a lot. Tuning it to give frequent, powerful kicks to these small motors should (i think) give better slow running.

Any views on this ?

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Ravenser

Ravenser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:05

As a user of TCS decoders I'm not convinced dither will give you anything extra that back EMF won't - though I admit my diesels are a bit more sophisticated mechanically than Thomas and friends

#3 Tim V

Tim V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationC.U.B.A. Counties that used to be Avon

Posted 28 March 2012 - 18:29

No it probably wont, plus the short-life motors fitted to these mechanisms could have their lives shortened even more. You should work on improving the pickups - which would be more effective use of your time.