Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Overhead catenary strength?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ash39

ash39

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 20:54

Hi all, first post!

I'm working on my first layout, a 00 gauge 90's to present day layout based in the north. I'm looking to fit overhead catenary as a lot of the rolling stock I have, and would like, is electric powered. It's going to be cosmetic only, and I quite like the look of the electrotren one on ehattons, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

The question I have is, I have a tunnel in one part of the layout to which the entry is quite low. In prototype situations, the wires would drop lower and the pantograph would lower. What I want to know is would the wire used with the above be strong enough to give resistance to the pantograph on a Hornby model, to take it into the tunnel? once in the tunnel I wouldn't bother with wires and just create a 'slope' of some type at each end to ease the pantos back down to the wire height as they leave the tunnel.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 96701

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • LocationRoss-on-Wye

Posted 01 April 2012 - 21:03

I think that will depend on the gradient of the wire relative to the track, so if you can drop the wire gradually, you'll get better results.