LNER A6

• RMweb Gold

I have one to build in my 'to do' stack, it's quite a way down in the 'loco's needed' list which is annoying, next up is a J24 though! My first successfully finished loco was the Little Engines version finished as 9791 in late LNER still with Westinghouse pump.

I have one to build in my 'to do' stack, it's quite a way down in the 'loco's needed' list which is annoying, next up is a J24 though! My first successfully finished loco was the Little Engines version finished as 9791 in late LNER still with Westinghouse pump.

The J24 and Q5/1 are the only ones of Arthur's kits which I haven't built, though I think that may be rectified later this year. I also bought the Little Engines kit of the A6 but finished up largely scratch building this model, using just the boiler, smokebox and cab front and rear sheets from the kit. This is 69796, featured earlier in this thread. And 69791 retained its Westinghouse pump right up to withdrawal in 1951, hence my wanting to build it.

I have to confess that I do love these big North Eastern tanks and will be seeking to add the A7 and A8 whenever they are available. My loco stud, for Hessle Haven, is now heavily skewed towards tank locos, all of them North Eastern, so I really must build some tender locos. This wan't helped by building three J77's, so Hessle Haven is 'awash' with shunting locos; but there's nowhere to shunt, at least not yet!!

Cheers

Mike

The J24 and Q5/1 are the only ones of Arthur's kits which I haven't built, though I think that may be rectified later this year. I also bought the Little Engines kit of the A6 but finished up largely scratch building this model, using just the boiler, smokebox and cab front and rear sheets from the kit. This is 69796, featured earlier in this thread. And 69791 retained its Westinghouse pump right up to withdrawal in 1951, hence my wanting to build it.

I have to confess that I do love these big North Eastern tanks and will be seeking to add the A7 and A8 whenever they are available. My loco stud, for Hessle Haven, is now heavily skewed towards tank locos, all of them North Eastern, so I really must build some tender locos. This wan't helped by building three J77's, so Hessle Haven is 'awash' with shunting locos; but there's nowhere to shunt, at least not yet!!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Are you aware that 52F Models are currently designing an A8 to go into production shortly. If its anything like their T1 tank I have,  it will be worth the wait. Just wish there was the earlier H1 option of the A8 as I would like one of those also.

I n my opinion the A7 is the best proportioned of all the NER Tanks, pity there isn't an etched brass version of this loco.

SteveT

Mike,

I n my opinion the A7 is the best proportioned of all the NER Tanks, pity there isn't an etched brass version of this loco.

SteveT

Yet! But perhaps that might be rectified; who knows.

Cheers

Mike

Yet! But perhaps that might be rectified; who knows.

Cheers

Mike

And we know who we have to talk round on this one !! after he has got through his list of other loco's in design of course. Then I just have to lobby someone to do the LNER C9 articulated loco?

SteveT

Well, more than a couple of years after beginning this model, it is now a 'runner' and I can now add the final touches.

So, caught at Hessle Haven and still in 'works grey', an unidentified A6 rolls along the down main, past a line of 'big NER tanks'. Proving trials were successful with no major glitches in the running and the pick-ups seem to perform well, too.

Now I will definitely build a third one - 69791 - and then that will have to be it for A6's.

Note to self :-  I really must paint the wall, behind the layout, a sky blue colour.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-33563200-1422438649_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

And thirdly this is the body of 69791, built as a commission, shortly before the completion of the final detailing. When this was taken I still had the Westinghouse pump and its associated piping to fit, the footplate steps, as well as a few castings and the handrails.

Cheers

MIke

post-3150-0-31866100-1423817230_thumb.jpg

Archived