"Pianola" style route setting

noiseboy72

A simple idea this one.

On complex pointwork - station throats and junctions etc. the ability to set the route simply by pushing the correct card into a slot is quite appealing.

Each card simply has a number of holes along the long edge, each corresponding to a turnout. A microswitch with roller will close when the hole is present and a further microswitch at the base of the card slot will trigger the CDU when the card is pushed fully home.

Plain blank ID cards are £7 per hundred and can be printed on or have a label applied to identify the route or even train. Sequences can be written on the card and pushing it into the slot will then set the route.

A simple and cheap method without complex switching or diode matrixes. I estimate 8 - 10 switches could be squeezed into a row, with potentially 10 rows possible on a card.

The frame is simply a pair of extusions to hold the card, plus a frame for the microswitches. A conventional CDU is then all thats required.

Is this original or has it been done before ?

I have toyed with the idea of using an equivilant, but somewhat more modern, technology with fewer moving parts. Even though I have all the parts from other projects, I haven't done anything about it because I don't really have the need for anything complex in the way of route setting. In my case the idea was to use RFID tags which can be obtained in the form of credit card sized plastic cards together with a cheap USB RFID reader to drive selection of routes using JMRI. It's probably not an original idea and I've not tried to patent it, so maybe someone would like to give it a try.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Didn't the Hoover Keymatic washing machine of 50 years ago do something similar in a simple domestic environment? If you can guarantee the registration it sounds like a winner.

ISTR that the Cobourg Street control room for the Northern Line did something similar with a broad tape reader system, onto which the WTT had been encoded.

Here you go - as so often is the case the prototype already uses the idea...

I can't say I'm surprised to see that. In fact, I think I would have been more surprised if the railways hadn't tried something like this. After all, the basic idea has been around even longer than railways. The LT example is little more than a slightly updated form of the programming cards of a Jacquard loom which, in turn, derived from other ideas developed in the 17th century.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

The "Automatic Crispin" on Buckingham was a more complex version of something similar. On that one the timetable was on a punched roll and wipers through holes onto a brass drum triggered the operations.

The route setting on that was limited to the points in the fiddle yard but it certainly did the job for many years.

There was an article in Railway Modeller (google says Nov 1972, article by Arthur Jordan) entitled "One flick and your switched" which used diode matrixes to select routes to point solenoids via panel pushbuttons.

I remember reading it whilst flying down the Lickey bank behind a peak on a Newcastle - Bristol express (All line rover - the good old days !!). Haven't got the mag anymore. Strange how these things stick in your mind many years on.

Brit15

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the Pianola style routing in prototype, but feel for modelling, a system with more variation might be a winner. By having individual cards, it is easier to send a train out of turn than with a true punched card system.

I guess the major variation with my idea is that it is a "One Shot" system. You push the card in to trigger one event, rather than a series of timed events. Simpler to use and adapt was my thought.

Before electronic key cards became more common in hotels, some had punched card keys, with a myriad of pins that dropped into holes. If this could be made robust enough for accurate registration, I think I can do the same.

Sounds like a Fortran card.

Ha,ha, remember those from College. Never used them as the old mini computer was dead by then and we had a Dec/Vax for programming tasks (As recently as 1988 would you believe!)

But, yes thats the general idea I think.

• 5 weeks later...

might be worth looking at the keyframe set ups for small fairground organs. a bit over engineered for your needs, but might help with things like accurte registration. like the idea of the microswitch at the bottom to make the final connection. there is alway a problem with wear and tear on this type of system (as there is on the organs - i know, I tried building one :) ended up midi controlling it - now theres an idea- pian operated points.....) a way rould that could be to use light sensitive switches, although I suspect the plastic cards would hold up for a reasonable length of time, and be easy to replace when broken.

just a thought!

cheers

Andy

Archived