How does one go about selling an unfinished layout

Hi,

I know its a bit of a silly question and the obvious answer is to put it on RMweb "Market place".

But how does one go about selling a layout?

If its a well known layout that has been around the exhibition circuit, then people have seen it and would know straight away weather its for them or not. Likewise a much smaller layout, people are willing to purchase as they are looking for something they can use at home. But mine doesn't fit into either of those categories.

The layout is EM gauge which may well deter some people and has a scenic area of 16' x 2'6" with the opportunity to have fiddle yards at both ends, or as a roundy roundy but this would take a floor space of almost 24' x 10', The layout was planned for exhibition use, so it does pack up into a reasonable small space, but it would still need to be transported in a van. The track is all laid, ballasted, wired and fully functioning, but the scenic side although progressing, still has a way to go.

So its not a small layout, that somebody can put up in the back room, also if selling, It would be nice to see it progress as intended, but obviously that is the choice of the beholder.

So if anybody can give me some pointers or had experience themselves on selling a unfinished layout, it would be much appreciated.

Trevor.

as a potential buyer (I'm N gauge so I'm afraid EM isn't on my look out list) I want to know how big the layout is, both assembled and stored

method of points control (wire in tube, electric, hand in the sky)

what work is done

does it run

what is left to do

what comes with it

... and the basis of the track plan in terms of date and location, plus a drawing. Ideally a schematic of all the wiring. Pictures will paint a thousand words of course.

I think reason for sale may prove significant too.

Business like: this may sound harsh, but business is. How much do you value your time, how long are you prepared to work at selling it including the handover transaction, what sort of price do you expect to achieve? Example: iIf it's going to take over 20 hours to achieve a return of £200, best to just scrap it, and get on with whatever you now want to do. Money is welcome, but time cannot be purchased and is typically in short supply...

Photos and lots of them including below the boards. This is even more important as the layout will not have been seen on the exhibition circuit.

Don't expect a price much above the s/h track components minus the hire cost of van and fuel. The buyer has to go a long way out on a limb for something tht is basically someone else's pride and joy, unless it is close to finished and they have the same desires out of a layout, it lacks appeal. I have seen and bid on a number of layouts but the owner's always seem to expect far too much (with reserve's). I have also just missed out on a couple that afterwards have kicked myself for not bidding slightly more (as i know it is worth it).

The size of your layout is a significant constraint unless it is a club purchase. But again it is a matter of whether they are interested in a half complete layout of xyz.

At the back of everyones' mind there is always the question why are you selling. Also EM (dare I say it) is gradually going out of fashion for large layouts - if starting from scrath in that sort of space I'd probably tip on the balance to P4.

How about advertising it as baseboards, you having recovered the track. Then advertise the track separately. If you're noly going to get only SH track value of them combined you may be onto something that you could sell for more.

[EDIT - trouble with the "N" key on this PC.

Most finished layouts sell on the basis of a "turnkey" operation. It's complete, with all the bugs worked out (it may also be well known). Rather like a new house with no DIY jobs.

I can't imagine that there is much of a market for "half-complete" layouts.

Best, Pete.

Thanks for everyone's input, their is some helpful advice that will help me on selling layout, and hopefully other people that find them selves needing to do the same at any time.

With the consent of Andy Y, thanks Andy. I will hopefully go into details and photo's of the layout itself next weekend.

Trevor.

• 5 months later...

Well I've finally succumbed and the decision has been made in that its time to move the layout on. I'm looking for £295 ono, but buyer will have to arrange collection.

Layout is EM gauge and is part built as can be seen from pictures.

Scenic section is 16ft x 2'6" and is fully operational with tortoise points operating the main line and wire and tube operating the sidings, which all are accessible from the control panel. Layout is wired for DCC operation, of which you would have to supply your own choice of DCC unit and controls.

Scenic section is laid with C&L trackwork throughout and has been fully ballasted. All buildings are included and are in various stages of completion as can be seen from pictures, the station building you would need to build yourself, as I never got around to starting. Does not come with stock shown.

The layout could be run as a end to end layout, but you would need to supply the fiddle yard boards.

But it does come as a full roundy, roundy layout with curved boards and rear fiddle yard boards, although these have been laid with copperclad trackwork and will need some attention if you go this route. A wiring loom runs around the curved and fiddle yard boards, but again will need some attention.

So as I say the scenic section is fully working, just requiring a DCC unit and power supply, but the curved and rear fiddle yard boards will need some attention. Wiring diagrams for each board are also available to help. Also comes with all layout legs and braces.

The layout is sold as seen and I'm looking for £295 ono, but buyer will need to arrange their own collection. Please note tortoise point motors are only fitted to scenic section and have been removed from the curved and fiddle yard boards.

Drop me a personal message if interested.

Thanks.

post-6909-0-23117100-1347211948.jpg

post-6909-0-34362300-1347212011.jpg

post-6909-0-63727300-1347212023.jpg

post-6909-0-35214000-1347212036.jpg

post-6909-0-69620000-1347212055.jpg

post-6909-0-65222100-1347212081.jpg

post-6909-0-10277900-1347212103.jpg

post-6909-0-52244100-1347212112.jpg

post-6909-0-87075500-1347212120.jpg

post-6909-0-56490400-1347212131.jpg

post-6909-0-53130000-1347212142.jpg

post-6909-0-53464000-1347212151.jpg

post-6909-0-18047700-1347212168.jpg

post-6909-0-98338200-1347212175.jpg

post-6909-0-68242400-1347212184.jpg

post-6909-0-83821400-1347212193.jpg

post-6909-0-71217900-1347212201.jpg

post-6909-0-32887800-1347212210.jpg

post-6909-0-43206600-1347212217.jpg

post-6909-0-29818200-1347212235.jpg

post-6909-0-14776700-1347212247.jpg

I'd suggest setting up a website for it on its own if you can. That way you can advertise it wherever you want to and give the web links/references (though linking to whichever site you've uploaded the current pictures to would also work).

I'm not currently looking to buy a layout (and definitely not in EM!), but if I was I'd prefer a part-built one to a complete one, as it would give me the chance for my own creativity!

Class 27 heaven! If I had the space and didn't already have far too much 00 stock to even contemplate converting to EM I'd bite your hand off. I'll be very surprised if someone doesn't do likewise, and frankly they will be getting themselves a bargain. I hope they realise and are very VERY thankful!

As an update the layout has now been sold and is awaiting collection, whilst I rummage around and get everything together.

I would just like to say thanks to all those that showed and interest in the layout, of which their was many, sadly I was unable to offer it to you all.

For me it has been a long time making the decision to let this baby go. But it has gone to a good home and I look forward to seeing updates of its progress from the new owner and hopefully one day the finished article.

Thanks to all

Trevor.

• 1 year later...

But it has gone to a good home and I look forward to seeing updates of its progress from the new owner and hopefully one day the finished article.

Thanks to all

Trevor.

Will take my camera to club on Tuesday to get some pictures of the progress but this is getting some serious time spent on it now, loose target of Trainwest 2016 for the first show.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived