Par to Newquay resignalling

ess1uk

• RMweb Gold

Rumour only, my friend. Nothing firm in the pipeline whatsoever.

There is a project to remove the differential PSRs for HSTs and Voyagers (to enable them to run at 150/153 speeds) between Luxulyan and Newquay, this should be in place by the end of May, all things being equal.

The local branch line user group FoCAL have long made it their wish to see a second platform brought back into use at Newquay, and whilst reaction to this is not unsympathetic in the wider rail industry, we always come back to the question of where the funding for this and any other such scheme is going to come from. I've certainly heard nothing about EU money being made available for the current Newquay branch.

What was the nature of the rumour you heard? If the branch was to be resignalled, where would the control go to?

• RMweb Gold

Could be that this was to do with the 'Cross Cornwall' study, but the real prize here, if it could be afforded, would be to reinstate the Parkandillack to St Dennis section of the old clay line, and use this as the passenger line to Newquay. St Austell is by far the more popular destination for folk from Newquay, and would be a better place to change trains if you are going to Newquay...

However, it all comes down to funding, as ever...

That was proposed a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. Has the potential for a railway line that makes more economic sense that the current route, and might be more use for local journeys rather than just long-distance passengers travelling to and from Newquay.

• RMweb Gold

no mention of signal control.

i did wonder myself where you could stick a panel if they were to do it?

Absolutely anywhere, the days of requiring the cabin to be anywhere near the line / signals etc. it controls are long gone - by about 60 years (generalising)

• RMweb Gold

That was proposed a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. Has the potential for a railway line that makes more economic sense that the current route, and might be more use for local journeys rather than just long-distance passengers travelling to and from Newquay.

It has been proposed several times and when I was still on the Western it was in fact 'a scheme under development' but at very much an initial estimates stage with minimal funding although certain infrastructure was officially 'protected' to enable it to happen - and that's nearly 20 years ago!!

Absolutely anywhere, the days of requiring the cabin to be anywhere near the line / signals etc. it controls are long gone - by about 60 years (generalising)

That much I know

I just meant would it stay local or go to TVSC?

It never ceases to amaze me that in the past lines, stations and sidings were alll ripped up with great haste, however to re-instae or add something new to a line usually takes years and an eye watering amount of money, Look no further than the the Penryn loop on the Famouth branch for a glaring example of thisphenomenon :huh:

XF

• RMweb Gold

The Par to Newquay line itself has seen a steady increase in patronage over the last 10 years, equating to 72%, which is very encouraging, although not as spectacular as the increases on other lines such as Falmouth or Barnstaple.

The original reason for the St Austell - St Dennis suggestion was when it was tied-in with the A30 dualling scheme, on the premis that the new dual carriageway would require the course of the railway over Goss Moor. Of course, we all know that the new road was eventually diverted across the northern edge of Goss Moor, and the need for the railway's formation disappeared.

The latest suggestions stem from a desire by the local authority to improve the 'journey experience' across various parts of Cornwall, and St Austell to St Dennis is one of the elements that have been examined, although everything is very much at the tentative, early stages yet and nothing is certain.

Is rail still being considered for the waste disposal site at Parkandillack, should it get the go ahead? I know this doesn't necessarily need the relaid part to St Dennis Jn but will have to be considered in any future plan.

• RMweb Gold

Is rail still being considered for the waste disposal site at Parkandillack, should it get the go ahead? I know this doesn't necessarily need the relaid part to St Dennis Jn but will have to be considered in any future plan.

As far as I am aware, all has gone quiet on this, as far as use of rail is concerned. Nothing heard via the grapevine for some time...

• RMweb Gold

Probably even longer than you think, Dave.

First Centralised Traffic Control in USA was about 40 miles long and commissioned c.1927. Multiplexing in the form of TDM has been around since the 1930s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

2019? Sure it could be done sooner?

Simples - CP5 ends in 2019 so all that is being done is effectively holding it back until CP6. That makes sense when you consider that at present it's no more than a glint in someone's eye with no costings, no budget, no development authority, and no resource allocation while stuff being considered for CP 5 will have at least some of that.

And as CP5 starts in 2014 I would have thought the odds are pretty much against this scheme even being properly cost assessed or commercially assessed in time for inclusion unless someone pours in a lot of cash quickly (and I don't think that 'someone' is likely to be NR).

Going to be hard to justify a new route from St.Austell while also retaining the existing route from Par, I'd think. Local traffic to Luxulian and Bugle is insignificant, and would the Plymouth-Newquay running times be any longer via the new route?

You'd presumably have to keep it open as far as Goonbarrow Jcn for freight though, so the additional cost might not be that great?

This could become a one train working branch from St Blazey. Goonbarrow Signal Box could go as well as Molinnis and Tregoss level crossings, Luxulyan, Bugle and Roach stations, and the old A30 Iron Bridge.

This saving is not as significant as it might have been 20+ years ago though as all signal boxes are due to close towards the end of the decade anyway and as previously mentioned the new A30 has already been built north of the Iron Bridge. It is also extremely difficult to close stations.

• RMweb Gold

You could also argue that with the St Dennis link re-instated, "express" trains would only need to stop at St Austell to connect with Newquay trains, not Par AND St Austell, so saving a few minutes.

It would be a shame to loose the line running down from Luxulyan & under Treffey's viaduct, tho'.... http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=26740

• RMweb Gold

Well, running the Newquay "locals" through St Dennis, Burngullow then on from St Austell to Par & return would keep the Par / Tywardreath folks a link with the "express" services at St Austell! :P ;) (trying not to upset the locals, blue sky thinking here - tho' there's not much blue sky around at the moment!)

Archived