BRM May 2012

Dicky W

• Administrators

Hi,

It goes on-sale in the shops on April 12. I'm a tad biased but I think it's a cracking issue.

To whet your appetite, check out the amazing Glendower video: http://bit.ly/GYl1mq

We're just finishing our Next Month Video too. Once this is complete we'll post it on this forum.

Steve

Brand editor

The video is very entertaining and Dennis Parker seems a lovely man. I wonder if he was an Electrician,Coal Miner or a Potholer crawling around down there in the foundations of his Bungalow.

I spent many hours in far less selubrious footings when working as a "Sparkie",but then I was a lot younger than our friend Mr Parker (with respect).He was not one to let adversity get in the way of his modelling,but I dare say he was careful not to upset Mrs Parker before descending Underground.

DENNIS DID I REALLY LEAVE THAT LARGE BOX ON THE TRAPDOOR BEFORE RETIRING TO BED. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Administrators

Hi all,

Here's the video to give you a taste of the next issue: http://bit.ly/H93ioS

Karhedron: yeah, there's a good selection of N Gauge layouts in this issue. Going forward we'll be ensuring there's a fair mix of gauges/scales to keep everyone happy. I hope you like the N Gauge content in May!

We hope you like!

Steve

BRM brand editor

• RMweb Gold

I see your editorial mentions that RMweb is now under Warners' ownership.

Will BRM be dedicating a page or two an issue to the best of RMweb - for example some photos from the 'Realistic Image / Modelling Album' ?

I see your editorial mentions that RMweb is now under Warners' ownership.

Will BRM be dedicating a page or two an issue to the best of RMweb - for example some photos from the 'Realistic Image / Modelling Album' ?

There will be tie-in between content in the very near future - all I can say is watch this space - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

They're probably too modest to mention so Missy but yes they do. We'll get Steve indoctrinated in due course but John Emerson as BRM Editor is an accomplished 7mm modeller (Gifford Street), Richard Wilson as Asst Editor (Dicky W) has Hadley Green as the most recent project and not least Stephen Warner as MD is an N gauge and garden railway modeller. Obviously all of the regular contributors are modellers and I hope to do a bit of a profile on each in due course so you can see the people behind the team.

Richard Wilson as Asst Editor (Dicky W) has Hadley Green as the most recent project....

I have to point out that the layout is a joint effort - the high quality modelling of a certain Herbert Hopkins of this parish plus another two mates - made all the difference to our first 'proper' exhibition layout. It now lives at East Ham MRC as one of their 'club' layouts and hopefully will be going out again soon. It will also be photographed by Tim Easter soon for RM, having already been in BRM.

I see on the right hand page it says "News and Reviews" below that "Whats New" and not far below that "Whats New?" and below that "A whole host of new products"

more needlessly repeated words, I am not a gold fish....

It will have to have good content for me to buy all these repeats...

The Q

• Administrators

ha ha. Not sure the world is ready for 'Andy's Ramblings'!

However, be assured that Andy York (plus a few other RMweb'ers!) will be appearing in forthcoming issues of BRM! Lots of exciting stuff happening that I know you'll all be very, very pleased with.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I received the May issue in the post today. I used to like looking at the adverts at the back, then at the front, for anything new and of interest, and then read the articles.

However, I noticed today that the April issue wasn't a horrible mistake by the binders who had mixed up the pages with articles and adverts. BRM is now starting to look like one of those free local papers consisting of adverts with a few press releases inserted as news. At least the free newspapers are free and can go straight from letterbox to recycling bin without thought or cost.

If BRM is to appear as a set of adverts, with a few articles and some advertorials inserted, all in headlines and snippets, rather than well-written multipage articles, I shall not be renewing my subscription. It may be modern and web-trendy but I understand the even a long-established model railway magazine now allows inclusion of website addresses but still separates adverts from editorial content.

Given the comments on this website about the April issue, would Warners consider a readers' poll on the new BRM format – missing from the recent reader survey?

I found the May issue, which arrived this morning, one of the most irritating that I have ever read. Quite apart from the way that the articles snuggle in among the ads, such that it is all too easy to miss them, there are several very silly mistakes. As one of the advertisements makes clear, the well-known type of point motor is spelled "Cobalt" and not "colbalt" as we may read half a dozen times. It is the work of but a moment to translate "jas reacged Evesham" into English but this should have been done before the magazine was printed.

Someone bought a load of exclamation marks! They have been sprinkled throughout the magazine! Many were given to Nigel Burkin who seems to be easily excited! I do hope that he has used them all! Please do not buy any more!

Of the Graham Farish RMB we learn that "this new N gauge model has legs". What piece of blue sky thinking led us to run that one up the flagpole and salute it? Bad lapse there, chaps. The idea of putting selected quotes in larger print was not a good one in the magazine from which it was stolen and looks like a space filler to me.

Sorry, BRM people, but this is a dumbing down too far.

Chris

Of the Graham Farish RMB we learn that "this new N gauge model has legs"

Aw thats a shame, I was hoping for one with wheels... :O possible scope for a conversion article in a future edition?? :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Picked up my copy today nice and early as being an N gauger was looking for some good stuff...and indeed there are some great pieces of inspiration; trouble was, I had a dickens of a job trying to find the articles amongst the adverts, some of which seemed to be mini-articles in their own right !!

Please, please don't put full-page and double-spread adverts in between articles; it's a real annoyance and frankly left me reaching for the Railway Modeller...desperate times indeed...!!

Joking aside, I was going to take out a subscription alongside Model Rail which I've been getting for years, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait to see if anything is done to tidy it up first...

Archived