London Transport Tramway

thirty2a

I have posted this in LT section but it could go micro or trams but as it is LT that seems ok.

post-7147-0-09919800-1333370065_thumb.jpg

I a few spare moments over the weekend so decided to start this project, basically a double track 2ft x 2ft LT tram layout to run my few trams on.

The progress will be fairly slow but good start made, card base double thickness is fairly strong and very light, I intend to build most of the buildings in card as well probably kits of one make or another.

Some of the trams are card as well, starting to see a pattern developing there!

The whole thing is basically 4x lengths of Hornby semi flexi bent at silly radius that the felthams seem to go round ok.

post-7147-0-45431200-1333370496_thumb.jpg

Track spacing looks about right to me - the curved ends of the Felthams weren't just an asthetic feature, they were a necessity to avoid T-boning the tram coming the other way on some corners!

They were a loverly looking tram, obviously I have not wired the layout yet but test show they pass each other, just!

the Feltham on the left is modified and DCC so hope to have a running test in next couple of days.

There are a couple of small space tram layouts on Carls site hhhp://www, carendt.us that would work well in this configuration - just a thought

That is true, the problem with that site is you end up spending half the day on it and not looking at the stuff you go on for! well might just be me though.

No new pictures at the moment, I have been "testing" though all seems well.

I have started to do some work on the infill to build up the level for the road and am toying with idea of putting the backscene in the middle so as to do the back as Blackpool tram system, giving me a sort of two for one layout, not 100% sure on that yet might just be hidden section we will see.

• 1 month later...

Well progress has been painfully slow due to several factors mainly work related, anyway managed an hour last night only got a tiny bit done but it's something! I am using some curved condiut sheets which although still need cutting are a lot easier then bending the straight ones so I am very happy with them. The conduit section will be inserted when I decide how to pack the track but I thought I would post these pictures as a start, might have to patch a bit here and there but otherwise quite happy with results so far.

post-7147-0-22073600-1337787563_thumb.jpg

post-7147-0-69951300-1337787477_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Work still to be done on the Feltham but it does run very nicely.

post-7147-0-81660000-1359995648.jpg

The bad news is that this layout met a nasty end but all is not lost, a start has been made on a short (approx 3ft by 1ft) end to end LT layout.

I have made a slow start as railway room has been re ocupied by return of a daughter!

I am also going to put it under the wires as have some trolley polls for the Tram itself and traction poles for planting, I think that might prove a bit of a challenge but worth the extra effort especially with Hornby Select DCC which by the way runs the Feltham very well on the Select but does need some carefull driving in a small space!

I will update with some pictures when i take some track laying to start this week as already marked out.

I think the overhead should place the Tramway deep in South London in the last years of the System.

Archived