TGauge HST

tomsquires

Hey guys,

I was at Ally Pally for the BRM exhibition and got a bit of video of the new HST they're bringing out. Absolutely amazing, I'm already on the pre order and I model 00! I tried to convince myself reasons not to do it but...my willpower is as strong as a toothpick holding up a brick, which probably explains why my girlfriend has so many handbags. Ah well...Enjoy!!

• Like 4

Wow... I could definitely be tempted if a full 7 or 8 coach rake was to be available. Wish there was something in the picture to show the scale of the thing though, even though I know T is bonkers small it's always useful to have a reference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The speed of running is much improved I see. It's a shame that it has 2 1st class coaches but it's a lovely model for its size.

Guest Natalie Graham

The speed of running is much improved I see.

Rather ironic really, that the High Speed Train should be the best slow runner.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The slow speed I think is the introduction of the new mechanism for the HST, and also the new PWM control box.

As for Scale sizes you can see the Scalescenes warehouse, garage, pub and station on the layout.

I built these some time ago but gave them to Alan so he could use them on a layout.

Hopefully this should give you an idea of scale, the larger country pub is for N-gauge:-

DSCN0387-1.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0395.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• Like 7

What stunned me when I watched the video back was how much detail there was which makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is. Just wish they'd pull their finger out and do a nice little Pannier in T, maybe a little working inside motion...It's not that much of a big job surely! :nono: lol

Just wish they'd pull their finger out and do a nice little Pannier in T, maybe a little working inside motion...It's not that much of a big job surely! :nono: lol

Run it on 12v and you'd probably get smoke as well - albeit briefly...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks fab!

Its just crying out for someone to make a small diorama of Dawlish and Teignmouth...I could sit and watch one of those flying around for hours on it :yes:

Looks fab!

Its just crying out for someone to make a small diorama of Dawlish and Teignmouth...I could sit and watch one of those flying around for hours on it :yes:

As soon as the full 7 or 8 car rake is available, I have an APA box sitting here that would probably do the job nicely.

• Like 2

What I enjoyed at Ally Pally happened when I was standing in front of the T-gauge stand. A large and bossy woman was pontificating to a hen-pecked looking man next to me that as there wasn't any British Z-gauge there would never be any British T-gauge! At that moment the HST rolled out of the tunnel and across the bridge... Oh, she said, it's an InterCity 125. She then walked off in a huff, leaving the others around all smiling, and the hen-pecked man glowing in victory! :sarcastichand:

Luke

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As an established N gauge modeller with a soft spot for the early 80s, (although I don't model that era at the moment) I could REALLY go for this but there was a lot of negative press about it early on (I looked back last year when the HST was first mooted). Anyone read the same? Any current (or ex?) T gauge modellers who can comment on that please?

The possibilities are mind-blowing - was thinking of MAYBE trying to do Bath Spa, (as that was my home town then). What I REALLY enjoy about the hobby, and why I do N, is the "model village" angle - the railway in the countryside and this if developed could do wonders.

Hope they bring out some more BR stuff though!!

• RMweb Gold

As an established N gauge modeller with a soft spot for the early 80s, (although I don't model that era at the moment) I could REALLY go for this but there was a lot of negative press about it early on (I looked back last year when the HST was first mooted). Anyone read the same? Any current (or ex?) T gauge modellers who can comment on that please?

The possibilities are mind-blowing - was thinking of MAYBE trying to do Bath Spa, (as that was my home town then). What I REALLY enjoy about the hobby, and why I do N, is the "model village" angle - the railway in the countryside and this if developed could do wonders.

Hope they bring out some more BR stuff though!!

T gauge does have a few problems, as with anything new it takes time to get more people interested in it. The HST is great, and with the new controller, the PWM, which gives realistic speeds is a big step forward. I know track wise that points are not great, but a new version is in the pipeline. As for further releases, i think ready to run models might be scarce, but there are people who design and print locos in 3d which are good, only problem being you have to paint them yourself. Another slight issue is that there is not a 6 wheel bogie although again this will hopefully appear at some point. For coaches, electra graphics have done prints for them and also for a 150 and 205 dmu. Again for freight, those with skills far better than mine have created various models, again just add paint.

Personally i hope t gauge just keeps growing, i'm not a rivet counter and as long as the loco looks good that's good enogh for me. In process of making a layout and in a 6ft by 3ft baseboard i have two lines which measure 6.3 metres, or 1.8 miles if scaled up.

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just for interest...If one was to model Paddington Station terminus, how big would that be in N?

Or Bristol Temple Meads.

I am resisting, but you can probably tell it's a struggle. I'm happy with BR blue HSTs, but would prefer more Brit prototypes and points taht were easier to operate...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working in T gauge now for a couple of years and as each month passes more and more products are becoming available for the T gauger. The PWM is a vast improvement. However, I am still finding, even with the new generation of motors etc, that reliability is still an issue.

I'm currently creating a 6ft x 2ft layout for my HST. This will incorporate a 25 arch viaduct as well as a mainline station. It will be British themed and so i will have to make all the buildings myself.

Here is my T gauge in a briefcase.

march20121026.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRsqNiqu6AM&feature=colike

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Gang,

At Warley Show were a number of HST trainset packs with 120 and 132 mm rad curves and PWM controller £149.50 - sold out at show ! Importantly were the prototype pack of 5 coaches inc buffet - TRUB as the extension pack - retail possible £80, Reason being the buffet car to include a third powered chassis ! The printing was great with the Inter-city 125 legible.....

All need now is a 50 and mk2s or similar and the Bath Spa layout could take off! I prefer the idea of the bit of straight track between box and middle hill tunnels- the even for Brunel over scale tunnel mouths would look great !

Robert

• Agree 1