Accessories etc.

Il Grifone

I've been meaning to start this for some time - a space for the small items that complete the scene and the odd items that probably don't merit a thread of their own.

I have a few to post Britains Lilliput*, Master Models and all those road vehicles - Matchbox etc.

Now I have to dig out the camera! Hopefully over Easter, as SWMBO is making noises concerning redoing the bathroom! (tiling and plumbing are not my strong points - others might add model making to this list).

*Possibly relevant to the Trix thread, but I'll put them here as only part of the range was specifically TTR.

To get this started here are a few pics:-

Some Master Models items

post-6780-0-02909400-1333788762_thumb.jpg

Crescent signals and loading gauge, including the strange reverse coloured arms

post-6780-0-12959900-1333788783_thumb.jpg

A selection of Britains Lilliput

post-6780-0-70043900-1333788819_thumb.jpg

Similar items from Crescent and Benbros? These are a larger scale and the figures are really too large for 00. The cows are heavy and two made good ballast for an Airfix cattle truck.

post-6780-0-79013100-1333788825_thumb.jpg

Larger scale road signs. The ones in the middle are Dinky , the other two Gilco.

post-6780-0-08520300-1333788834_thumb.jpg

Finally some large (mainly plastic) Britains (and copies) animals. The giraffe came with 3 legs, but being lead was restored by building up a new one with solder.

post-6780-0-62694100-1333788844_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-02909400-1333788762_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-12959900-1333788783_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-70043900-1333788819_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-79013100-1333788825_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-08520300-1333788834_thumb.jpg

post-6780-0-62694100-1333788844_thumb.jpg

It's again posted the photos twice??????

Some of the items require restoration - in particular the Lilliput Fordson tractor and the Hay Cart. Luckily, replacement repro parts are available.

The Benbros? hay cart came in light metallic green and has been repainted.

These items are Trix, but they are still accessories and more relevant here then my Trix thread I would have thought David.

When you look at the prices of accessories, say back in the 50s, it amazes me just how much was spent playing trains, by the amount of things that are still around today. The Trix colour light signal, either home or distant with yellow two way switch and track connector was 19/6d in my 1954 catalogue. Or you could buy both for 32/6d. The yard lamp at 5/9d was a bargain. Now considering a fathers average wage then, his son was probably going to have to wait quite a time as he saved his pocket money up to buy these treats.

The semaphore signal has a permanent light in the base that illuminate the coloured spectacles. But although it is electric, the movement is manual.

The second picture was probably something father had to buy if the home was lucky enough to own a television. I know this is not pocket money stuff, but where else do you put this little bit of history. A suppressor unit to stop all that interference plaguing the picture and sound. Obsolete today, as modern flat TVs are not affected by the same interference. So I can happily play with the old Trix set without plugging this in to the wiring.

post-14236-0-23753900-1333990919.jpg

post-14236-0-95873600-1333990933.jpg

When I was a lad most of my pocket money went to purchasing Britains plastic farm animals, tractors etc.... (still have a lot of them to this day. Also I would buy cars and people for my layout. (Mainly Wiking & Preiser as living in Germany at the time.)

Not really obsolete, as today's EMI regulations are quite severe. VHF 405 line television and AM radio, the latter still in use, was/is particularly prone to spark generated interference. This is broadband and the track makes an excellent aerial.Trix had an extra source with the sequence reversers.

The Trix lighted signals were quite ingenious, being an early example of fibre optics. I did have one with an enormous bulb to directly illuminate the spectacle. This operated with a pulse on pulse off mechanism in the base. I have since bought some more (the original failed and was discarded), but all are missing the mech. (visible in my post in the Trix thread).

Talking of ERG, I'll post some pictures of Rex wagons and some other odd items - perhaps not really 'accessories' but here would seem the place rather than starting yet another thread.

Nothing Trix (apart from some of the wagons) was really 'pocket money', though I did have a Manyways station, signals and the yard crane, which was 11/3d IIRC. on my Dublo layout. It wasn't till much later that I realised one could change the Trix wheels for Dublo, but by then Trix were about to change their wheel standards anyway, so I only acquired one wagon. This was made into a rectangular tank tar wagon with a resin body, I obtained from ERG. Regrettably I don't know the make nor do I still have it.

In my little world it's obsolete. The TV is plugged into a cinema surround system, so that's where the radio comes from. As for broadband, I can't receive it in my engine shed because it's not part of the house and our signal is absolute cr@p without extending the router as well. Anyway, I'm going off thread here.

Keep the pictures coming.

Brian

David.

Make the ERG wagons a separate thread. I could post a few details on these.

Frank

Il Grifone posted

"Talking of ERG, I'll post some pictures of Rex wagons and some other odd items - perhaps not really 'accessories' but here would seem the place rather than starting yet another thread".

In my little world it's obsolete. The TV is plugged into a cinema surround system, so that's where the radio comes from. As for broadband, I can't receive it in my engine shed because it's not part of the house and our signal is absolute cr@p without extending the router as well. Anyway, I'm going off thread here.

Keep the pictures coming.

Brian

It's more concerned with not upsetting your neighbours! More pictures to come...

Archived