Dapol kit availability in the USA ?

Hi All,

I know this is not a normal question but... Does anybody know if Dapol kits have a distributor in the USA. All of my internet searches come up with UK sources. The nearest shop to me, which is rather pathetic is 100 miles away and basically only carries Lionell, which i personally can't stand.

The reason I am looking for Dapol is the price and the fact that I can kit bash without feeling bad if I mess up. Of course if I could find a couple of the Hornby church kits (R599) that would also be peachy.

Tom

Can't you just mail order them from the UK?

Yes I can, but it takes on average three weeks for me to get anything from the UK, and the last two items I purchased were opened and mauled by the border goons. I'm still trying to figure out why the one package not only got mauled by US DHS but it was also opened by the Australian postal service. :blink: At least they added a note to the package telling me they did, but it took two months to get to me.

Needless to say I'd love to find an in country source for some things, I know I won't find everything, okay I won't find much, but it would still be nice.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Tom,

Why not contact Dapol Dave on this forum and ask him directly if he knows who distributes Dapol kits in the US?

Cheers

Simon

I'll second the suggestion about modelrailwayimports.com. Good service, reasonable prices. The Dapol site also lists Britannia (Canada) as an international stockist.

I'm intrigued as to why an order for UK outline equipment went through Australian customs to get to Fredericksburg unless you ordered it from Down Under. Not the best idea, in my experience, if (reasonably) fast delivery is desired. I've ordered from a number of UK stockists and eBay providers over the past several months. No one order has taken anywhere near 3 weeks (the last came in 4 business days) and no package has been opened (a properly executed customs declaration helps).

Finding a US shop who is not a distributor is probably not an option, since the Stateside demand for UK outline equipment is very small.

Kind Regards,

Carl

Yes i recomend Brittania Models (604 -538-2698 ) , They carry Airfix, Hornby, Dapol , etc . Stuff comes in weekly and they shipp out to the usa and across canada . John and vivian pilliering are nice folks to deal with and im not saying that cus its my local hobby shop.

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued as to why an order for UK outline equipment went through Australian customs to get to Fredericksburg unless you ordered it from Down Under. Not the best idea, in my experience, if (reasonably) fast delivery is desired. I've ordered from a number of UK stockists and eBay providers over the past several months. No one order has taken anywhere near 3 weeks (the last came in 4 business days) and no package has been opened (a properly executed customs declaration helps).

Kind Regards,

Carl

Probably accidently put into the wrong bag by the Royal Mail (British post office). I once had a letter that wrongly went via a Middle Eastern country & someone helped themselves to the stamp, as in a rectangular hole was cut out!

As far as I know, nothing else was touched.

I agree, the OP should try again. Certainly for low value goods like an Airfix/Dapol kit. The fact that it went via Australia, might tempt the Australian Customs to check why, since it was so unusual.

Kevin Martin

Try www.modelrailwayimports.com/products.php?BID=12&CID=37 Limited stock and i know it is Canada!

Sorry for the delayed response.... Seems I misplaced this post :scratchhead: Thanks for the link I'll try them out.

No idea Carl, but it was ordered from UK and not Australia. I order from a couple of different suppliers, Hatton's seems to have the quickest turn around for me but they still take almost two weeks. One of the slowest to arrive after they ship is Book Law Publications. My first order from them took five weeks to get to my door, I never thought I'd get that one. The last one I ordered made it in three weeks so the transit time is getting better.

Who I really feel bad for is my Dad's cousin, every year without fail she sends me a new calendar, the woman is in her 80's. About half of the time they are opened and mauled. This past March my Mom & Dad were down from Ohio when it arrived. I kid you not the post mark on the envelope was from the end of November and it was ripped open and placed in a poly bag inside a USPS envelope with a letter stating they had inspected it. I thought my Dad was going to die laughing, it was mangled so bad. If I didn't think I would hurt her feelings I'd ask her not to bother.

Yes i recomend Brittania Models (604 -538-2698 ) , They carry Airfix, Hornby, Dapol , etc . Stuff comes in weekly and they shipp out to the usa and across canada . John and vivian pilliering are nice folks to deal with and im not saying that cus its my local hobby shop.

Thanks!

The British Connection in London, Ont also have stocks of Dapol kits.

http://www.execulink...ction/HOME.html

Adrian

Thanks.

The situation of ordering and getting parcels from England has got so bad that I've given up plans for a small P4 layout - that and the fact that several very good retailers in the UK will not supply the USA any more, presumably they got fed up with complaints about slow, lack of deliveries.

Best, Pete.

Probably accidently put into the wrong bag by the Royal Mail (British post office). I once had a letter that wrongly went via a Middle Eastern country & someone helped themselves to the stamp, as in a rectangular hole was cut out!

As far as I know, nothing else was touched.

I agree, the OP should try again. Certainly for low value goods like an Airfix/Dapol kit. The fact that it went via Australia, might tempt the Australian Customs to check why, since it was so unusual.

Kevin Martin

That's too funny! cut the stamp out. Oh I know and I still order from the UK just wishful thinking on my part.

The situation of ordering and getting parcels from England has got so bad that I've given up plans for a small P4 layout - that and the fact that several very good retailers in the UK will not supply the USA any more, presumably they got fed up with complaints about slow, lack of deliveries.

Best, Pete.

There is something wrong with that, and it doesn't bode well it my opinion. I'm going to assume the problem is on our (US) side of the pond. I hate to see it come to that, but I can't say I blame them for boycotting US customers.

Tom

Archived