An N scale FVV for KPA

• RMweb Premium

My new layout project is an n scale model of Kensington Olympia circa 1980.

As a result I will be needing several carflats for the Motorail terminal.

The original plan was to use old style Farish Mk1 undergrames and modify them accordingly however as they are so bad detail wise I decided to take the plunge and use the new 'Blue Riband' MK1's.

For some reason most of the Mk1's supplied in blue/grey livery are fitted with B1 bogies, as I will be running the two Brighton to Manchester services ( see my website www.1S76.com ) I needed many more fitted with Commonwealth bogies.

The Southern Region green BCK is fitted with Commonwealth bogies so four of these were acquired to use the underframes, the bogies transfered to other Mk1's which donated their B1 bogies.

On dismantling the new Mk1's a big problem arose. The close coupling system is mounted above the underframe and below the seating unit it also has a big mounting screw and takes up too much room to hide beneath a planked deck.

The next course of action was to use the older style bogies fitted with couplers but this meant alterations to the buffer beams and bogie mounts.

What I then looked at was cutting the coupler and mount off the close coupling system and attaching that to the new style bogies.

Using a short length of 30thou plasticard I superglued the coupler mount to it and then glued the plasticard to the top of the bogie.

The coupler height is almost spot on doing it this way.

Battery boxes, fuse box? and dynamo removed from the Mk1 underframe along with the surplus parts of the close coupling system above the underframe.

A sheet of Evergreen planked plasticard was cut for the deck and glued down.

I will be making a jig to produce the siderails. Decals will be from Fox transfers.

These will be the first four carflats, I expect to make a second batch which will include some dual braked versions.

Photos to follow shortly as I forgot to upload them! :blush:

• RMweb Premium

gallery_681_2084_23343.jpg

The dismantled Mk1

gallery_681_2084_38749.jpg

Chassis showing the close coupling mechanism

gallery_681_2084_57739.jpg

Modified bogie

gallery_681_2084_7616.jpg

Chassis underframe with removed battery boxes etc and modified bogies.

gallery_681_2084_2323.jpg

Quick pose with a car load.

gallery_681_2084_38795.jpg

Decking added to the Mk1 underframe.

• RMweb Gold

Nice work! As alternatives you can use the Ultima underframe detailing kits if you have old Farish Mk1s lying around and TPM does a very nice Commonwealth bogie if you want to avoid having to find particular Farish variants.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with Olympia - it is something I have often thought would look good in N or 2mm.

Cheers, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Yep and it's still available.

The plasticard one looks a nice job though, needs the ends and rails and gubbins and should look really smart. Only worry I would have is that it doesn't distort. I have some ex Lima coach ones I did that way and one of them warped horribly over time until it looked like a transporter unit for giant bananas.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments, currently making a jig up from card to make the side rails for the 4 carflats now available. This will be made from soldered wire..........then on to the end ramps etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After some time a bit of progress with this.

I have produced a card jig for soldering up the side rails for the carflats. The siderails are made from brass wire folded at either end to form the first and last stanchions. The intermediate ones are then soldered to the side rail and then cut to length. the whole lot is then superglued to the Mk1 underframe. First one off the production line is shown with a stanchion missing as it fell off!

It will be replaced. As usual superglue and me don't mix and it took an age to get the siderails to stick.

gallery_681_2084_102321.jpg

gallery_681_2084_61152.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More progress with Carflat number 1 nearly finished, spray painted in Railmatch rail blue, decals are by Fox (Motorail) and the TOPS panels are custom made by www.precisionlabels.com using there TOPS panel template. I have actually ordered 3 FVX ( dual braked ) and 1 set of FVV vacuum braked TOPS panels. They are so tiny you need an electron microscope to read them!

Yet to do hand brakes and paint the timber flooring plus weathering.

The first of many...........................well four for the time being!

gallery_681_2084_61309.jpg

This is the underside showing the as yet unpainted air tank

gallery_681_2084_22212.jpg

Car load includes 2 x 1/150 Tomytec models plus in 1/160 scale a Herpa Manta GTE ( Vauxhall Cavalier Sportshatch ) and a Fleishmann Opel Ascona ( Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 )

]gallery_681_2084_72441.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

...........And then there were 4!

3 x FVX dual braked and 1 x FVV vacuum braked.

All are still awaiting handbrakes which I will probably pinch off a wagon kit or find a suitable part from the NGS store.

This shows all four vehicles, cars are from Tomytec, Herpa, Fleischmann and Kato.

gallery_681_2084_178285.jpg

FVX and FVV.

gallery_681_2084_65017.jpg

FVV with TOPS panel in a different location.

gallery_681_2084_146429.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Finally got the handbrakes fitted, these have come from plastic n gauge wagon chassis kits.

gallery_681_2084_111939.jpg

gallery_681_2084_110271.jpg

Finally a close up of the custom made TOPS panels from precision labels, remember these are 2mm scale. Excellent service from them.

Motorail signs from Fox transfers.

gallery_681_2084_42762.jpg

Very effective conversions - wonder if they may be in the Bachmann catalogue next year?

Almost certainly, as a number of rmweb members have scratchbuilt them in the last year, so the law of sod dictates this will be the case!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the comments, Waiting for the GF Sleepers and FK's to come along and make up the Motorail train.

I also just need to sell my existing layout to make room for Kensington Olympia to be built!!!!

Archived