Difference between 220/221 Voyagers and 222 Meridians

• RMweb Premium

I am wondering what the main external differences between the class 220/221 Voyagers, and the later 222 Meridians are. As far as i understand the main differences are internal as they managed to move a lot of stuff underneath on the Meridians. Also I think I'm right in saying that the Meridians have one less window in the first class driving trailer. Is this because they have a bigger kitchen? Is there anything else I've missed. Had a bit of a browse for photos, but as with all things coach related the photographers generally only get the front of the train, not the bits i want to see.

The bogies on the 221s are different to the 220s and 222s (I think it's that way round). Anyway, the tilting ones have chunkier bogies, and the non-tilting Voyagers have very distinctive bogies with a lot of wheel visible. Technical description to follow from someone else!

The link is not quite correct, try this one http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/view.php?cat=Class 222

Good pictures. comparing to this link is just the trick http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/view.php?cat=Class 220

Regards

Andrew

Hi

Fair enough, thank you for the corrected link!

The bogies on the 221s are different to the 220s and 222s (I think it's that way round). Anyway, the tilting ones have chunkier bogies, and the non-tilting Voyagers have very distinctive bogies with a lot of wheel visible. Technical description to follow from someone else!

I'm sorry but I have to correct you their, the 220's and 222's both have lightweight inside bearing bogies, which are also used on the Class 172's, where as the 221's need heavy outside bearing bogies one to attach the tilting equipment to and to allow them to withstand the forces on them when tilting at 100+ mph

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are the (former) Voyagers built to a "tilting" body profile and the Meridians not so?

I was todl that was the case by some Virgin gadg, manag person a while since and it would explain why the Voyager is like a rather small rabbit hutch inside....

All to the same profile - see post #8 for a near frontal comparison of both.

The 222 has a better specced interior in terms of seats and layout to a 220/221, which may make the 222 seem larger internally.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

The compromises to adapt the 'face' away from Virgin's (it's like a spot the difference, this!) include:

• vertical strakes either side of screen
  • different shape light clusters
  • different shape driver's side window
  • different shape coupler aperture
  • different cab front details

these are as well as livery, natch!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

The main layout change from class 220/221 to 222 is that the 222s have accessible toilets in the end cars only, with toilet-fitted intermediate cars having a smaller non-accessible toilet compartment. All toilets on 220/221 are of the much larger accessible type.

Together with needing less internal equipment (no tilt pack) I think this makes the intermediate saloons a bit longer on the 222. I notice some of the linked photos for the 222 show a small window at one end of the row of larger ones on some intermediate cars, but I can't see that on any of the 220 pictures. Perhaps someone could confirm if this is a difference or am I just missing something here!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andrew. Since the demise of Fotopic I've been looking for a good photo site for trains and that's a really good one.

The cab is very different. I had heard the thing about Virgin copyrighting the design, but wasn't sure if it was true. Scanning through the photos it seems that the Meridians (222) have a coach with one extra window compared to the Voyagers. And the DMFO has one less window.

• 9 years later...