Steam in T

tomsquires

Interesting to see how the trains virtually came to a stop on the gradients. The light weight clearly doesn't help traction. I hadn't seen these before so amazed to see what was available. I did see an HST Class 43 at Ally Pally in T gauge though and thought that was a big step forward.

From watching it, the driving wheels are fake (blanks) and the drive is coming from a Bo-Bo chassis providing the pony and truck wheels. Clever, but not what you'd normally expect when you hear "T gauge steam locomotive". Shame about the poor running, too.

That 08 is nice though.

Guest Natalie Graham

Arthur Sherwood's 1:480 GNR 0-6-2T had spoked wheels and working coupling rods and his US G3 Pacific had moving outside valve gear too.

Guest Natalie Graham

oh sorry its a load of *** then..... least I know that now :D

No, it is a nice piece of modelling in T gauge and it is always good to see someone doing something different in these small scales. I just thought if people were interested in T Gauge steam they might like to know that moving coupling rods and valve gear can be, and have been, done in this scale.

I just love that people are out there having a go and trying to get it to work. I looked at A.A. Sherwood's models on the link posted and was amazed. Maybe my girlish small hands can finally be put to use in the world of ultra small scale modelling!

The video is by a chap who goes by the name of ozrail on other forums. He's designed all those locos and the goods wagons and some are available for sale on Shapeways. The Steam loco is based on the Flying Scotsman. The 08 is unpowered but pushed by a motorised carriage.

Eishindo (or is it Railway Shop?), the original manufacturers of T Gauge state thet they are working on a stem loco WITH working valve gear. Most of their stuff is Japanese, but there is speculation that it could be British or American outline, given that these seem to be the areas where T gauge is most popular. They take a lot of time in pre-production for their models, so won't be available quite yet - but watch this space!

There is a german chap who has produced a small (well, I guess they all are small!) T-Gauge steam loco with working valve gear. I'll see if I can find a video and post it here.

naT

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

What motors, chassis,con rods and wheels do they use and where can they be purchased from?

It's an un-powered model. Therefore no motor, no con rods. They use the usual T-gauge wheels. And the model itself can be bought from Shapeways (in the link given). The wheels from T-gauge website.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently got some of these actually, and they're rather nice (though need a bit of care fitting the wheels as the retaining clips are so tiny and delicate - I managed to snap off the middle set by mistake!). Shown here is the GWR pannier in front of a Bachmann 00 scale model of the same. It's been painted and I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to put a representation of the lettering on...

post-793-0-14638500-1523619313_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a slightly silly thought. T-gauge could be used to represent a Gauge 1 model railway in a doll's house.

No. It's more like O gauge (1:12 scale x 3mm gauge is 36mm). And I've done it a few years ago. As I don't have my own picture to hand at the moment see here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w7iZXvh62o8/UI8DKkBJowI/AAAAAAAAGcQ/wzdVvO5gXHg/s1600/DSCN4490.JPG

Archived