North West Electrification

charliepetty

Network Rail just announced:

Network Rail’s obligation

Our obligation, to be confirmed by DfT, is to develop the scope of works described below to completion of GRIP Stage 2.

Scope of works

A client remit has been produced detailing the scope required for this project. This includes AC overhead electrification and associated power supplies / distribution for the following routes, including all running lines and crossovers (except where indicated):

· Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge Junction; · Guide Bridge West Junction to Copley Hill East Junction via Huddersfield; · Neville Hill West Junction to Colton Junction; · Micklefield Junction to Selby Station; · Ashburys West Junction to Philips Park Junction/Baguley Fold Junction; · Guide Bridge Station Junction to Heaton Norris Junction; · Selby Station to Hulll; and · a number of further add-on options will be examined/costed up in addition to those noted above.

Other works will include signalling immunisation, track lowering and bridge reconstructions on the above routes.

• RMweb Premium

That's good news as it will give scope for through electric services to Hull and Newcastle which make up half of the Trans-Pennine services. I suspect that Middlesborough will be a added on but the long branch to Scarborough with one train an hour is less certain. If it isn't done it will make for some difficult timetabling and possibly at least one train per hour over the route being diesel operated. The other good news is that it will complete the Doncaster - Leeds - York wiring, allowing some diversions. It will be interesting to see if the loops at Hambleton are done whicvh will give more scope for electric service such as York Selby Hull.

Jamie

Interesting that Guide Bridge to Heaton Norris Junction is proposed as well, is this so that any Open Access operators with trains to Euston out of Yorkshire can opt for electric traction.

Why else consider wiring a single line with a ghost service but then leave Scarborough and Middlesbrough diesel?

Guide Bridge Station Junction to Heaton Norris Junction

That's an interesting bit of fill-in. Does this mean the weekly "Parliamentary" train will be electric? Unless it's for ECS or a proposed new service my guess is for electrically-hauled freight.

Hang on guys. This is a GRIP 2 study which is no more than outline feasiblity and rough costs. No commitment implied to developing the project any further let alone implementing it.

Edit: Having had a chance to think about it some more...

The first three items are simply the Transpennine electrification as announced a few months back, with connection to Victoria to line up with the Ordsall Curve previously announced. I'm a bit surprised this lot is only at GRIP 2.

Micklefield to Selby provides a second electified route between Leeds and Doncaster and takes in Selby where half the existing service terminates (though I think they come through from the non-electrified Calder Valley so that part would need a recast of West Yorkshire services to deliver any benefit). Philips Park to Ashburys provides another route between Victoria and Stalybridge and for Manchester-Scotland units to reach their depot.

I agree Guide Bridge to Heaton Norris must be for freight. It creates a second route for electric intermodals between the south and the north-east (assuming that the Transpennine electrification also includes gauge enhancement, which is likely but I haven't seen any confirmation). Also makes it less likely the electric Transpennines running every 10min will be stuck behind a 66 slogging up the grade out of Huddersfield! Really needs terminals such as Stourton to be wired if this is going to be worthwhile.

The other reason to look at these add-ons in east Manchester may be that they provide extra paths for the current, which could reduce the need for feeder stations. These are expensive items and saving the cost of one would probably pay for one of the short electrifications on its own.

I agree Guide Bridge to Heaton Norris must be for freight. It creates a second route for electric intermodals between the south and the north-east (assuming that the Transpennine electrification also includes gauge enhancement, which is likely but I haven't seen any confirmation). Also makes it less likely the electric Transpennines running every 10min will be stuck behind a 66 slogging up the grade out of Huddersfield! Really needs terminals such as Stourton to be wired if this is going to be worthwhile.

Just need to convince Freightliner, GBRF to invest in new electric traction, DB have a few low mileage 92s to pull out of store.

FL has a fair few electrics already, although for the moment they are employed elsewhere...

Trouble is it's a 'chicken-egg' thing - if you don't wire those kinds of links it rules out running electrics so they can't be used - but if electrics are not used then is it worth wiring them...

There seems to be a pleasing pragmatism within NR these days that it's worth at least trying to do a complete job whilst you've got the opportunity, my impression is that things like wiring the GWML for Heathrow Express but not wiring the goods lines at Acton Yard or up Acton Bank bank (resulting in a completely isolated bit of electrification with no connection to the rest of the country for the sake of less than a route-mile of extra work!) would not happen these days.

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be a pleasing pragmatism within NR these days that it's worth at least trying to do a complete job whilst you've got the opportunity, my impression is that things like wiring the GWML for Heathrow Express but not wiring the goods lines at Acton Yard or up Acton Bank bank (resulting in a completely isolated bit of electrification with no connection to the rest of the country for the sake of less than a route-mile of extra work!) would not happen these days.

When the Heathrow express was wired, it was done simply because the tunneled section into Heathrow ruled out diesel traction, being used. Also NSE had only recently taken delivery of a fleet of new DMUs for Thames Valley services and IC had no plans to phase out the HSTs any time soon. As for freight most of that which arives in acton yard is jumbo stone trains from the west which then get split into multiple destinations so the Railfreight division couldn't see the need. OK you could have then switched to electrics for the onward feeds but that would have required new locos (similar to the 92s) for which there was no money.

This can be contrasted with the ECML / WCML where it was allways envisaged that electrics could be used to haul long distance freight. and so yards, loops and sidings were covered. On the other hand there are several lines done under NSE / RR auspences that cannot supply enough amps for electrically haulled freight or any mainline locos come to that - examples inclusing the Leeds - Bradford - Skipton routesand Bishops Stortford - Cambridge - Kings Lyn.

Just need to convince Freightliner, GBRF to invest in new electric traction, DB have a few low mileage 92s to pull out of store.

GBRf already have a few 92s- though most are standing idle at Frethun.

As to electrifications which aren't 'meaty' enough to handle freights, the Tonbridge- Redhill route (ostensibly done as part of the upgrading for Channel Tunnel traffic) is a classic case. As Sevenoaks tunnel isn't cleared for some types of container, it's an essential diversionary route if there's a blockade on the Maidstone route; when a 92-hauled freight was sent towards Tonbridge with such containers recently, it had to run round at Headcorn, then return to Dolland's Moor.

• RMweb Premium

GBRf already have a few 92s- though most are standing idle at Frethun.

As to electrifications which aren't 'meaty' enough to handle freights, the Tonbridge- Redhill route (ostensibly done as part of the upgrading for Channel Tunnel traffic) is a classic case. As Sevenoaks tunnel isn't cleared for some types of container, it's an essential diversionary route if there's a blockade on the Maidstone route; when a 92-hauled freight was sent towards Tonbridge with such containers recently, it had to run round at Headcorn, then return to Dolland's Moor.

I don't think it was the power supply that was the issue, more of a case that mid 80s signalling system from Redhill to London required imunisation (as was done on the kent routes used by Networkers and Eurostars). While the actuall Redhill - Tonbridge electrification was undertaken under the auspences of Railfreight, NSE made a contribution because (the route through Maidstone was shared in cost terms between EPS and Railfreight) it meant they could get rid an isolated DMU worked branch and work it with their exsisting EMU fleet (Note the Redhill - Reading bit went over to turbo opperation from Reading). Redhill - London signal imunisation however would have to be soley funded by Railfreight - so it was put on the back burner where it has stayed ever since

Technology has of course moved on and were the class 92s designed today, they like the many versions of Electrostars would not cause problems to 'legacy' signalling as I put it.

This

• RMweb Gold

The original intention was to add Acton Bank into the LHR scheme as a simple bit of add-on infill. However due to the lack of clearance under the bridge part way up the bank it was intended to lower the track to create clearance - a simple and fairly cheap cost addition to the wiring work. However it was found that the track could not be lowered except at massive expense due to the presence of a large gas main so the only feasible course would have been to raise the bridge, on a very busy main road and the costs simply killed the add-on more or less before it had been mentioned.

The Redhill route issue was indeed about signalling and basically boiled down the cost of a second SSI module to control the required layout at Redhill as the estimates were worked up in detail - the Channel Tunnel project (in the form of EPS) refused to pay for it as the work was not considered 'core' and adding yet another diversionary route for Eurostar was considered unnecessary. No one else would pay so the idea was quietly dropped.

Glad to hear that the link at Acton was at least thought about and discarded for a good reason, though the Redhill situation illustrates that useful enhancements could fall down the cracks and I agree with Martyn it is good that NR are looking properly at all the add-ons that probably cost much less if done at the same time.

Is any Tunnel freight electric hauled on the ECML at present? It is getting more difficult to run freight on the main line north of Peterborough in the daytime, and the alternative route via Lincoln is of course not electrified. A route via WCML and Stalybridge might start looking like a better option.

I don't think it was the power supply that was the issue, more of a case that mid 80s signalling system from Redhill to London required imunisation (as was done on the kent routes used by Networkers and Eurostars). While the actuall Redhill - Tonbridge electrification was undertaken under the auspences of Railfreight, NSE made a contribution because (the route through Maidstone was shared in cost terms between EPS and Railfreight) it meant they could get rid an isolated DMU worked branch and work it with their exsisting EMU fleet (Note the Redhill - Reading bit went over to turbo opperation from Reading). Redhill - London signal imunisation however would have to be soley funded by Railfreight - so it was put on the back burner where it has stayed ever since

Technology has of course moved on and were the class 92s designed today, they like the many versions of Electrostars would not cause problems to 'legacy' signalling as I put it.

This

I'm pretty certain that power supply issues exist - there was a prohibition on more than one 5-WES working through to Chart Leacon for overhaul at a time, I was informed by someone who worked for NSE's Power Supply section in the area.

The only Channel Tunnel freight via ECML at present is the Scunthorpe- Ebange slab train. This is normally hauled by a 92 from Doncaster.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived