ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

I've wanted a USA tank for a while. How about an S160 next?

There was a guy in Alaska trying to drum up support for an HO scale S160. I don't think it got anywhere, so if it won't work in HO where it could be used on American layouts, it definitely won't in OO.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

What's next? :biggrin_mini2: Seriously as you already have the mechanism what about a Sentinel articulated railcar? At least 3 different LNER liveries, LMS and both lines on Jersey so thats 6 livery options to start with.

Edited by PhilJ W

Thanks for saving me the trouble Chris, and no chance for a bit of manufacturer economy either by the sound of it.

Looks like the fixed wheelbase of the 15XX is quite a bit longer. Doesn't mean that we wouldn't consider a 15XX - just means we wouldn't be able to use the USA chassis unmodified. We've already got a staff wish-list that's developing a lot faster than we could actually produce the models!

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the fixed wheelbase of the 15XX is quite a bit longer. Doesn't mean that we wouldn't consider a 15XX - just means we wouldn't be able to use the USA chassis unmodified. We've already got a staff wish-list that's developing a lot faster than we could actually produce the models!

CHRIS LEIGH

Well you can put me down for a couple if your building up a 'this should sell' list for them Chris - one was definitely shedded in the right Division to suit my needs and another lurked not far away for a short while so they would actually be ok (unlike some other locos I've been tempted to buy of late). Must be an interesting situation to have a wish list that could actually be turned into a 'we're going to make it' list?

What with this and the Heljan Railbus my list of 'they'll never make a RTR model of that in a thousand years' requirements is rapidly diminishing!

Thanks, in advance, to Dapol for saving me from the horror of building another white metal kit :)

Cheers,

Will

Do you really think this will make a difference to the way the model is designed?

Not really. I'd expect the chassis to be uncompromisingly solid, without the pernickety see-through look that bar frames usually have.

There was a guy in Alaska trying to drum up support for an HO scale S160. I don't think it got anywhere....

The S160 already exists in HO as a full kit from DJH/Model Loco.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

I'm a sucker for anything with lots of gesticulating valvegear', like this USA tank. I've just picked up a rumour that one was loaned to the South Polden Light Railway on the Somerset Levels for a few months in the early 1960s...... :sungum:

• Like 6

I'm a sucker for anything with lots of gesticulating valvegear', like this USA tank. I've just picked up a rumour that one was loaned to the South Polden Light Railway on the Somerset Levels for a few months in the early 1960s...... :sungum:

Absolutley correct - it was a trial prior to moving to the Hellingly Hospital railway, where, despite a 50-year age gap, it went very nicely with their secondhand ex-GWR 4 wheel coaches on the visitors trains and also did sterling work on the coal duties....

• Like 3

Im looking at the BR early emblem loco. No 30069, did any of the other loco's run in this scheme? Id like two but not the other BR version on offer.

Thanks

Great Western.

At one time they all did

And a note. For those wanting an excuse to run one. My source is "The story of tHe Southern USA tanks" by Kevin Robertson. Several locos were temporarily loaned in 1955 to the LMR for shunting duties. 30061 to Kentish Town and 30066 to Rugby and Bank Hall Liverpool. 30061 was later lent again and ventured to Cricklewood

Thanks to Model Rail and Dapol. This has been on my wish list for a very long time having made a mess with the Q Kits kit

Norm

Guest Belgian

How long do I have to wait for a Longmoor version - or could I get an unpainted one?

I know WD300 was scrapped in April 1959 and would be too early for my line but I could change my modelling period. Also, it was one of the first locomotives to be painted in Longmoor blue after the end of the war.

Tony

That's the first I'd ever heard of a Longmoor USA tank! I knew they had plenty of Austerity tanks (the Hunslet ones). Do you have a photograph of WD300 (which I understand was named Frank S Ross and built by Davenport)? Was it identical to the Porter and Vulcan ones? I gather a photo of this tank was sold on e-bay last year but can't access it any more.

Edited by Belgian

Not really. I'd expect the chassis to be uncompromisingly solid, without the pernickety see-through look that bar frames usually have.

The S160 already exists in HO as a full kit from DJH/Model Loco.

I know. I was speaking of a ready-to-run model. The US market isn't big on kits, particularly white metal ones.

CHRIS LEIGH

Whilst not one of the most asthetically pleasing locos, it does fit the bill of a nice small tank engine. I have ridden behind a few of these in preservation and they certainly run well. I may end up buying one of these not totally decided yet - either way I hope it does as well as the Sentinel.

Belgian,

A number of USATC tanks were at Longmoor during the war. There were differences between various batches as they could be supplied as either coal or oil fired. Modifications were also made to the initial locomotives in the UK and these were incorporated into later batches when built.

As the SR changed their original order from a mixture of Porter and Vulcan built locomotives to all except one being Vulcan built “to facilitate the interchangeability of partsâ€, I assume that there were other differences between suppliers.

USATC 4382 went to Longmoor in August 1946 and stayed there until it was scrapped in April 1959. It was named “Major-General Frank S Ross†in 1949 and numbered 94382. It was renumbered WD300 in 1952.

Most of this information comes from R. Tourret’s book, Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War, which includes several photographs. On-line photographs are rare. However, WD300 did appear in the film, The Inn of the Sixth Happiness. Photos have also appeared in various magazines including Railway Bylines, May 2002.

Tony

Do bear in mind that these USA tanks might well have been small by US standards but they are pretty big and powerful by UK tank engine standards. They were I believe, shipped here with a view to re-populating the European railroads. The reason they were stored is because it was found that they were very much out of gauge for the UK and because they sway a lot, are inclined to bash the furniture that our railways have strewn about. Obviously completely ideal for Southampton Docks and places like Ashford works but less than ideal if any tight clearances are involved.

I have often wondered about the viability of a model of these locos in view of the complex valve gear including the oil pumps on the right front footplate. I have the SEF kit and have fitted a 100:1 gearbox and sound.

Amazing pieces of kit but with a propensity to set light to sleepers as they lacked ash pans

• Like 4