Farnborough railway line 1967

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is tempted doing an O gauge model / diorama; Agenoria models do a very nice kit for a "Kitchener" class Hawthorn Leslie which is correct for Invincible.

Invincible herself is preserved at Havenstreet, Isle of Wight, currently out of traffic but on display.

Painted in her original Woolwich Arsenal livery.

Pete

• Like 1

Guest oldlugger

A fantastic railway and what a shame it was ripped up. I remember reading an article a long time ago in one of the railway modelling magazines about it. As you say Michael it would make an excellent subject for a layout. Who is going to be the first to take the plunge? Ummm very tempting...

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

• RMweb Premium

Yes it was called the 'Beaumont Street Flyer ' by the locals and there is still track in the gas works area, though Beaumont Street hardly exists any more. It connected the Midland railway's St John's goodsyard to the gasworks and was the main reason that the branch from Red Doles junction stayed open until 1968 when the gas works traffic stopped.

post-6824-0-09557600-1334865319_thumb.jpg

The line to the right went towards Beaumont Street adn the line straight on went into the retort house.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As earlier posters have pointed out you can still see a small section of track near Farnborough station embedded in the road.

Ironically some would argue there''s more left of the railway than of the RAE itself. :resent:

I started at the labs in the mid 80s, well after the line ceased to operate. But the old lags told me it was mainly used to bring coal trains in to power the site.

There was a video produced about this line - but I've never seen it on DVD format.

Invincible can be had in kit form from High Level in 4mm and Agenoria in 7mm. The High Level one is a nice kit - my first etched standard gauge loco' as it happens - though there are some very minor differences between the Hawthorn Leslie and RSH versions* these are accommodated. I can't speak for the Agenoria (I don't do 7mm), but I've seen several built and running which is usually positive.

Adam

* these boil down to different smokeboxes, buffers and sandboxes - and the RSH was 4" longer, but that really isn't noticeable full size, never mind in 4mm.

There was an article on the Farnborough line in the May 1967 issue of Railway Modeller. It included a drawing of Invincible.

Tony

Anyone have a copy of this? It would be interesting just to get an idea of the driving wheel diameter or other dimesions as I have a chassis that looks bout right, but I want to make sure before plunging in any deeper.