South African Railways Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock

PGH

I too find this topic extremeley interesting. I model in 16mm to the foot ,(Yes I know that its a mismatch of units,) : :))

I have CNC laser cut the ,"B," class wagon in both SAR and WHR variants and one of the guards' vans. If anybody has any more source material, please, please post it. It is neither wasted nor un-appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Ousby 

Couldn't agree more, especially drawings of stock (specifically B's, the hopper's and DZ's if that helps) free or books etc. The general dimensions of covered stock here are really very very useful.

T

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to do an update on my efforts building SAR steel wagons. To date I have completed a couple of DZ and B6 wagons.  Over the winter months I took the time out to figure out the under carriage detail and have some brake lever and bracket parts laser cut in steel (about 1mm).  Also I got a friend to help with a 3D drawing of the vacuum pot and had several 3D printed at Shapeways. Then  I got to work on a V15 brake van which at this point is partially completed. The frame for that one got all the brackets and the rubber pads (made from black rubber hose).  I have been working on getting correct lettering and partially lettered a B6 with stock dry transfers. Pics showing the rest.  I don't know how to contact them but I am forever indebted to  Mssrs. H.L  Pivnic and C.P. Lewis who published the online saga on the SAR, and also to those who posted photos here and elsewhere.

For anyone interested in this line of modeling, I'm happy to share my original CAD drawings.  I draw and engineer them for 7/8" scale but they can be  shrunk or enlarged.

Regards, 

Steve King

post-22514-0-05570400-1429830879_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-53654900-1429830889_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-71104100-1429830949_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

This is my SAR stock being handled by my Rishon live steam Sandy River Forney....yikes!  But that's the only loco I have available at the moment.  Here we were cutting out a couple of loads of limestone to drop along the line where my dog dug under the roadbed. 

Cheers, 

Steve

post-22514-0-66420300-1429889652_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone,

I wanted to do an update on my efforts building SAR steel wagons. To date I have completed a couple of DZ and B6 wagons.  Over the winter months I took the time out to figure out the under carriage detail and have some brake lever and bracket parts laser cut in steel (about 1mm).  Also I got a friend to help with a 3D drawing of the vacuum pot and had several 3D printed at Shapeways. Then  I got to work on a V15 brake van which at this point is partially completed. The frame for that one got all the brackets and the rubber pads (made from black rubber hose).  I have been working on getting correct lettering and partially lettered a B6 with stock dry transfers. Pics showing the rest.  I don't know how to contact them but I am forever indebted to  Mssrs. H.L  Pivnic and C.P. Lewis who published the online saga on the SAR, and also to those who posted photos here and elsewhere.

For anyone interested in this line of modeling, I'm happy to share my original CAD drawings.  I draw and engineer them for 7/8" scale but they can be  shrunk or enlarged.

Regards, 

Steve King

Beautiful!

Just learned of this forum and in particular this SAR rolling stock thread today from friend Steve King...while he's been posting progress of his various builds of SAR rolling stock, fans of the railroad may be interested to learn of one of Steve's other projects....several of us are building 7/8" scale models of the Lawley 4-4-0 locomotives that ran on the SAR in early years...actually predating SAR days. 

I don't want to hijack this SAR rolling stock thread by going into details, but interested persons can see the progress blog I am posting on a USA based forum:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/18-live-steam/38362-7-8n2-4-4-0-loco-project-beira-rwy-f4-sar-ng6-lawley.html

Best Regards,

Cliff

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

I decided last year to build one NG-Y ballast hopper wagon, and started the basic frame last fall. More recently I got back to work on the hoppers, which I think are the most difficult part.  After giving much thought to the design decided to go with a swinging hopper door rather than the sprocket and chain assembly used on the prototype, which I felt would be much trouble to duplicate in miniature. Since I intend to actually haul sand or gravel in the wagon I want to be able to unload without picking the model up and flipping it.  Loaded it should weigh 15-20 lbs.  For the frame I used dimensional brass tubing slit on the mini table saw with carbide blade, into channels of various sizes. (For those not in the US, we can get brass square tubing with .028" wall in 36 inch lengths,  from  Special Shapes Co)  Typically I fasten things together with cheap 0-80 brass screws, then tin solder it.  The hoppers started with a CAD drawing printed out and pasted to cardstock for a pattern. This was checked against the frame, then I cut 16 raw pieces of .025" brass, and made them into a tight stack for the mill and glued the pattern to the metal. All the holes were drilled first, then I milled away anything that did not look like a hopper.  These could of course have been cut on laser or waterjet, but since some trial and error was involved I simply decided to do it all the old way. After soldering up the hoppers I worked out the door hinge after a couple of attempts, and then assembled to the frame. Not a bad project so far if you like working with metal.

Cheers,  Steve King

post-22514-0-12329900-1459445688_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-86253400-1459445703_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-56343200-1459445723_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-22437300-1459445738_thumb.jpg

post-22514-0-77584100-1459445772_thumb.jpg

I looked in on this as a lapsed narrow gauger; cracking photos.

Near the beginning of the stack is one labelled "plate frame bogie", which I'm 90% certain actually shows a Fox's or similar pressed-steel bogie.

If you look closely,you will see that the edges of the "plates" are pressed over, and it looks as if the swing-plank or bolster (I'm getting the name wrong, I'm sure) is pressed-steel too.

Very characterful vehicles.

Kevin

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have been at work on more SAR wagon in 1:13.7.  I decided to build a couple of OZ3 Fruit wagons, and made the carbody out of 1/4" birch plywood which was routed on a jig to resemble the ventilating slats.  The roof is a single piece of 1/8" maple veneer from the woodwork supply place.  The doors are non functional and are stamped on a homemade die from thin sheet metal. I completed one and the other is almost done, except they need all the underbody brake equipment.  I have several wagons lacking brake detail and plan to do all of them at one on sort of a "production line" when I get the urge to do so.  The lettering is a big oversize and is vinyl stick-on letters.  I'll be looking for some smaller letters eventually.

Cheers,  Steve King

post-22514-0-30100200-1488987076_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just bumped into this tread while doing some research on the SAR prototype.

I'm just starting in 7mm scale, and the 2'NG took my particular interest.

The first kits in my possession now are a DHR (Darjeeling Himalayan Railway) class B and 3 goods vans for a friend where I'm sharing the interest with.

My own interest has always been Garratt locomotives, and SAR steam in general.

My first ventures were in Ho scale with DJH kits and some scratchbuilt loco's, however on the incorrect 16,5mm track gauge (the fleet consists of a GMAM, 19D, GCA, all kit built with a scratchbuilt Vanderbilt tender for the 19D, and scratchbuilt were a GF, 25 condensor and 3rd class GCR Wynberg tender)

Being in the wrong gauge and difficulties then with obtaining enough information to build rolling stock (80's, well before internet) made me loose interest in continuing with this project.

However, the sudden interest for the 2' prototype fueled by the acquisition of SAR locomotives and rolling stock by the WHR, did revive the interest for the subject SAR, being able to purchase some excellent kits, large availability of information trough the internet and also the fact that working in 7mm is somewhat easier as in 4mm made me start again, this time in 2'.

A NGG16 is in the pipeline, going to pick up an unbuild kit I bought secondhand in 3 weeks, and some coach sides from Worsley Works as well.

The B, DZ and flat wagons from EDM are currently unavailable, but will be ordered as soon as Paul gets a new batch of castings.

Other wagons and some of the brakevans can be scratchbuilt, and this is where this topic comes as a very valuable resource, the pictures are of really high quality and the sketches with main measurements make it easy to build them.

So please don't think that anything you post isn't apreciated because people don't click the like button, when just one person is able to create his project because of your information it was already worth posting it (I will soon start a new topic of my adventures in 7mm NG)

Hi

I attach photos taken at Avontuur in December 2005, after the line was closed. I have only the details that are apparent from the photos.

I hope they are of interest/use to somebody....

A few more to follow.

Regards

Derek

post-121-0-04688300-1493138396_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-65931600-1493138413_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-57561400-1493138425_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-06309900-1493138437_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-82973100-1493138454_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-49451200-1493138471_thumb.jpg

post-121-0-85453600-1493138486_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I went to have another look at Avontuur station last Friday - nothing left other than a few rails, the station name board and very rusty sheds. No point in photos or in anybody else bothering to have a look.....

Archived