Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll 2012 - Results

The Poll Team have now announced the results of the 2012 Wishlist. I would like to thank all participants and supporters in making it the best supported poll to date.

OO Results

OOP1.jpg

OOP2.jpg

OOP3.jpg

OOP4.jpg

OOP5.jpg

OOP6.jpg

OOP7.jpg

OOP8.jpg

OOP9.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Good omens then in OO for Mk2 air con stock and SR/BR(S) S15, both of which I can make use off. Shame the 4REPs and 4TCs didn't even make a showing.

Thanks to the Poll Team and Andy Y - done a terrific job there.

Oh dear, the LNER section of OO indicates we are more "loco-centric" than everyone else...! I think that's a given now :lol: The K1 doesn't surprise me, nor the D16, nor the J15, but the P2s keep creeping up the list...really thrilled to see the C1 Atlantic poll so high.

I think the format for the results is terrific, and will chew the cud a little more on the findings tomorrow morning. Once again - well done to the Poll team and Andy, job's a good 'un.

• RMweb Gold

I've no doubt this topic will attract a lot of further interest (and even debate :O ) so would it be a good idea to create a separate thread for that and just leave this as the 'results area'?

And congratulations to all involved - the presentation and analysis of the results has continued the excellent, clear, presentation and ease of use of the actual poll.

Wow - Southern fans came out in force!

Andy,

thank you for posting these results. They are very nicely presented and are quite interesting. Please extend my congratulations to the poll team on a job well done.

While it's not relevant to the poll results and more a question of the internal workings of the poll, would it be possible for the poll team to share the distribution of how many items each individual voted for?

Some people might have only voted for one thing. Others might have voted for 100. I am curious to see how not placing a fixed limit on the number of votes influenced voter behavior.

If this analysis represents additional work or burden to the poll team, please disregard it - it's clearly a curiosity and not necessary information at all.

Interesting that the statistics for OO and N are generally very close when you study those graphs. There seems to be a very slight skewing towards the younger age group for N gauge but the upper and lower ends are very similar indeed.

Guest Belgian

First reaction: As ever, Southern items came near the top or top in most categories. Shame that the big manufacturers seem to have turned their backs on the Southern after a spell where it was at least as popular with them as any other company.

More considered reaction: Bachmann will, hopefully, be encouraged by this Southern showing, as their C class and SR Pillbox are their first Southern models for some time. I trust Southern modellers will back their votes with their purchases, and I hope Hornby will be pleased with reactions (and sales) to their pull-push stock when that appears.

In view of graphs above showing a peak of interest in the mid 1950s to early 1960s and the 'delays' to some of Hornby's 2012 announcements including pre-Nationalisation models such as the T9 and N15, I have to say I was surprised when these were announced as there have already been more models of these eras available than of the 1950-60 eras and had expected this year's offerings to include the latter rather than the former.

As ever, steam locomotives predominate, but the BR Air-con coaches and CCT are encouraging signs. In the steam categories the S15 and 700 have frequently 'topped the polls' for the Southern so I have also been surprised that they have been ignored for so long, especially by Hornby, since they have the tenders at least available without any new parts required, which should be a bit of a head start when tooling up. Presumably the latter would put Bachmann off attempting these as Hornby could react quite quickly, and the same applies to the second most popular steam locomotive, 'Duke of Gloucester'. Will they appear in 2013, and from whom?

JE

First, thanks to the team who put it all together and analysed it - great work.

Second, I hope the result is a genuine reflection of buying preferences.

Third, some surprising results but I was gratified to see that the age spread of the hobby is greater than I feared.

Fourth, as an "00" Southern Region person it was surprising to see just how well the southern did - but after this years announcements (as opposed to short-term releases) I suppose it was likely.

Fifth, ideas like a really good Ransomes and Rapier crane and working gated level crossings seem like things that just "have to come".

Sixth, For all "00" gauge results I was a little surprised over the dearth of shunting/short-trip freight tank engines (vast numbers in real life. For myself I really feel the need for something like an "E4" 0-6-2T and I am sure that other regions have similar short falls. I will have to look at the more detailed results to see whether the small tanks engine vote was just spread too widely over many different types.

And finally, HOORAY ! I am "sure" we will see an S-15, Adams radial, 2-BIL and 4-COR announced sometime in the next 50 years !

Thanks again.

In response to an earlier post - I wish that I had kept count of the number of items I voted for but would guess that it was between 20 & 30. Each vote does represent an item I would buy if available.

As a recent convert to N Gauge I voted in this section for the first time but I do have a question.

One of my top wishlist items is the BR Standard Class 4 75xxx loco. I couldn't find it in the list. I can understand it not being listed in the OO poll as it's available from Hornby & Bachmann but I'm unaware of any current N Gauge model. Of course being of a certain age it might be another Senior Moment!

David

Guest Belgian

Further reactions: BR items top all aspects of the 00 polls, having the two highest-polling items of all. The Southern comes a strong second the LMS a poor last.In the 'top 50'.

Looking at the 'Top 10' which, presumably, might be regarded as the 'most likely to be produced', BR has 7 entries and the SR 3. The LNER, LMS and GWR have none! The 'Top 20' has 9 BR, 9 SR and 2 LNER.

Do the manufacturers know something we don't (yes) or do we all just lie when responding to polls?!

JE

Many thanks to all those involved in this poll, which was very well-organised with a superb presentation of the results. I look forward to having even more DMU types to infest my layout soon, going by the votes for Classes 117/118 and 120 in both N and OO !

• RMweb Gold

Further reactions: BR items top all aspects of the 00 polls, having the two highest-polling items of all. The Southern comes a strong second the LMS a poor last.In the 'top 50'.

Looking at the 'Top 10' which, presumably, might be regarded as the 'most likely to be produced', BR has 7 entries and the SR 3. The LNER, LMS and GWR have none! The 'Top 20' has 9 BR, 9 SR and 2 LNER.

Do the manufacturers know something we don't (yes) or do we all just lie when responding to polls?!

JE

Clearly this poll presents what is probably the best publicly available current 'wishlist' information but I do wonder if actual sales follow a slightly different path for all sorts of reasons which are far more difficult to quantify? For instance I bet 'Model Rail' will sell far more than 214 USA tanks (and I - and no doubt they - sincerely hope they will) because it's quirky, a bit different, and the price is something many folk will regard as reasonable or explainable to SWMBO.

In contrast 'Duke of Gloucester' is likely to cost at least 50% more making it a less likely 'opportunistic' purchase so perhaps not the sort of thing to appeal so much beyond the 'those who really want one' audience?

Manufacturers no doubt consider marketability as carefully as any other aspects of producing a loco or vehicles plus the ability to fit it into their manufacturing capacity and i think that will continue to influence their decisions. The other angle of course is the one of 'making' a new market or market area looking for something a bit different - witness Bachmann's decision to go for an L&Y 2-4-2T, it will probably sell like hot cakes just because it is 'different'.

While it's not relevant to the poll results and more a question of the internal workings of the poll, would it be possible for the poll team to share the distribution of how many items each individual voted for?

That's an interesting question and I will look at that when I get a bit of time.

I also find the age graphs very interesting. The substantial drop-off off in the over-70 age groups is more of a reflection of the internet usage in connection with the hobby than it is of any representation of the ages in modelling as a whole (having witnessed the Ally Pally advance ticket holder surge).

The other interest is the comparative bulge in N gauge modellers in the 30-49 group suggesting N is popular with hobby returnees, (possibly limited on space or interested in the more recent eras which N tackles well) and then a comparative reduction in the bulge at 50+, possibly as eyesight (statistically) becomes more of an issue.

Guest Tom F

Very interesting results. Rather pleased a K1 was top of the list for LNER poll, it does tick most boxes as for allocations and a lot of similar parts to locos being produced by a

certain manufacturer.

Very good poll, well done to the team!

i find it strange/interesting that the class 89 stood out in the N gauge poll with others a lot lower in terms of votes and no calls for an 87 or a 91 which would be similar era and existing models could do with a revamp. In OO this locomotive didn't even feature in the top 10.

Overall it's an interesting set of results and there is a good spread of types and eras for Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol to go at.

Great work and fascinating results - thanks to everyone involved.

The absence of *any* contemporary EMUs in the OO category is very striking, making me wonder how well Bachmann's Desiro is selling, and also making me nervous that the fact the lovely EPB didn't have any new liveries announced this year might indicate lower than desired sales -- I do hope Bachmann's now-ancient statement to the effect that electrics don't sell is not still true.

Paul

Yes thanks to all for running this poll. A little disappointed that some of my Caley Steamers, or indeed the main Scottish constituents aren't better represented ,but clearly there are many more Southern followers that need to be catered for.It would have been better if Alex Salmond had run the poll! The other one thats surprising is why people would vote for a 117/118 dmu when a 116 was much more widespread. What am I missing here?

Initial reaction to the poll, it is (unsurprisingly) oriented to existing modeller interests. Dominated by a good cross-section of sensible 'gap filling' and 'logical range extension' models for the 1955 - 1970 period, seasoned with a sprinkling of assorted eye-candy.

Regarding number of votes cast, I didn't keep count of mine but simply put a mark beside everything I would honestly purchase if a decent model was produced. My logic for this: the actual rate at which new introductions can be made is governed by the general economy. Even if I voted for a hundred items and all got made they cannot be produced all in one go, but are going to trickle through over ten to twenty years at present rates of newly tooled product, so should be affordable as and when they arrive.

There might be a corollary to this which the manufacturers - if they are so minded to realise that they are to an extent collaborators as well as commercial competitors - could consider. This is that in the general interests of their financial results they might between themselves do best by ensuring a good spread in 'around the UK' coverage in every annual round of releases: a significant 'something' for the large majority of their customers. The rather slower appearance than first announced of many of the very desireable BR(ER) oriented models of the last couple of years have helped affordability for this particular customer; meanwhile other interest groups are reporting feeling slightly neglected. I realise that this is something of a counsel of perfection, but anything that tends toward a steadily flowing river rather than cycles of flood and drought ought to be welcome...

... I do wonder if actual sales follow a slightly different path for all sorts of reasons which are far more difficult to quantify? ...

I am quite sure that the acheved sales follow a very strange path indeed. How many tmes have any of us walked into a model shop and come away with something that wasn't on the purchase plan?

Were we not able to vote for private owner, light railway and industrial items in this poll, or have I missed something?

It may sound trivial, but a Manning Wardle tank or an RCH wagon might have been popular - or LT and predecessors?

• RMweb Premium

Were we not able to vote for private owner, light railway and industrial items in this poll, or have I missed something?

No we weren't. Hopefully it's something that will be resolved in the voting choices in next year's poll.

Archived