RMweb Project Layout 2012

Andy Y

RMweb Project Layout 2012

What is it?

‘RMweb Project Layout 2012’ is a brand new competition to build the first-ever RMweb Project Layout.

We’re looking for a group of registered RMweb members (2 or more people working together as 1 team) who feel they can combine their skills to produce a layout closely tied in with RMweb. The build process and completed layout will be documented on RMweb, in British Railway Modelling magazine and www.Model-Railways-Live.co.uk and at a number of leading exhibitions throughout the year.

How does the competition work?

The winning team will be given a budget of £1,500 to build their layout (simply supply receipts and Warners Group Publications will reimburse) and will need to have it 100% complete by January 14, 2013.

Throughout the process we will require the team members to records their journey (with images) via a regular RMweb blog or layout topic and monthly updates on www.model-railways-live.co.uk

You will also be required to submit a number of articles (instructional and general updates) for British Railway Modelling Magazine (of which they pay) plus be available for monthly video updates with www.model-railways-live.co.uk. A timetable of articles will be agreed with BRM prior to the build commencing.

Once the competition is complete the layout remains the property of the winning team.

Show attendance

The winning layout will be required to attend the Festival of British Railway Modelling in Doncaster on February 9 and 10, 2013, the London Festival of Railway Modelling in Alexandra Palace on March 23 and 24, 2013 and the National Festival of Railway Modelling in Peterborough in October, 2013. It may also be required to attend other shows on behalf of RMweb and BRM. All expenses for show attendance will be paid.

So, how do I enter?

In the first instance we’re looking for ‘teams’ to enter by submitting their proposal. We need to know the following info:

Who’s in your team?

What scale/gauge are you going to model?

What period?

Is your layout idea based on any specific area?

Is there anything quirky/different that makes it stand out from the crowd?

Any relevant/special skills we need to know about?

A 100 word (max) written outline of the project.

Any supporting images or artwork to illustrate the concept.

A proposed trackplan with approximate dimensions.

Remember, we’re looking for something special/different so we encourage creative thinking.

All proposals should be sent to: info@rmweb.co.uk

Closing dates for entries is May 13, 2012. Once a winning team is selected a meeting between Andy York and members of BRM will be arranged to confirm the project details.

Good Luck!

• RMweb Gold

I hereby offer my experience and knowledge, quite substantial if I might say so myself, as official beer taster and shifter to any team that might have me.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

So to clarify, only the proposals are deliberated on by BRM, then once a winner is chosen, that group, and that group only, get to build the layout ?

You're not asking for various groups to build layouts and then pick a winner ?

Stu

James - end of second paragraph:

I missed that completely - special needs... :lol:

Think it was worth clarifying as within clubs what often happens is that there's a budget provided by the club following a proposal but the layout remains property of the club. Hence my question.

So to clarify, only the proposals are deliberated on by BRM, then once a winner is chosen, that group, and that group only, get to build the layout ?

Once the winner has been announced, there's nothing to stop any of the other groups building their ideas ... they just won't get it paid for by Warners.

You're not asking for various groups to build layouts and then pick a winner ?

That's correct; the first stage is for the teams to submit proposals; make a selection and then move (rapdily) onwards from there.

• RMweb Gold

How on earth will Stubby spend £1500 - gold plated box files?...

Oh, I see how it is.....

"Stubby will be building 3 layouts for that price..."

"Has he finished his first one yet... ?"

Team Stubby will be announcing their participation shortly, pending negotiations with the Management - please bear in mind the announcement of Non-participation might be made from a hospital bed...

HI..

This excludes overseas members, bit of a shame...

Stuart-AU

I don't see why you couldn't, unless the rules insist that every team member has to be available for monthly video updates. I'm sure there's a way to participate without the distance becoming an obstacle.

Paul

I don't see why you couldn't, unless the rules insist that every team member has to be available for monthly video updates. I'm sure there's a way to participate without the distance becoming an obstacle.

It'll be a bit of a ###### getting to Donny though!

It seems a very tight schedule. Is it realistic to plan and produce a high-quality layout in that time - especially as you have to write articles, submit expenses claims etc. etc as well in that time?

I think you'd have to take that into account before submitting a proposal. With a layout being built to a deadline already I can't consider taking part despite thinking it would be interesting to do so. That's before you take into account a job, wife and little boy!

Archived