RMweb Project Layout 2012

Andy Y

Of course, you don't actually need to know or meet up with the other members, as long as you have a proper set of plans.

I've seen that fail miserably on the prototype! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Did I mention "shunting plank"? I thought the example I gave was "A layout in 6 weeks" - An excellent example of how it can be done. It is that I can see quite a lot of time used up in the decision process: finding a team if one doesn't already exist (a very exclusive side to the challenge, as I suspect only an existing team or club already has the unity to get going quick enough); then the problem of reaching an agreement within the team on the layout form, design, prototype (we have all seen how difficult it is for an individual let alone a team to reach common agreement); then there is the actual time taken to implement, in theory more hands make faster progress but this requires easy access and probably a common location (again most likely a club); not to mention the added documentation and longer term commitments.

I'm not saying impossible - again I give the excellent example of "A layout in 6 weeks" but hardly a broad challenge to the membership as a whole. Just how many of the membership are even in a position to form a team with other members unless they are already associated through a club? Also are prepared to devote all their modelling time and some to the challenge for the next 7 months?

You didn't mention a shunting plank. That was me! I was just using that as an example to illustrate that a short timescale doesn't mean that only relatively unambitious projects should be considered. Our new layout is a double track, main line terminus with a total length of 20'.

I agree wholeheartedly that forming a new group/duo etc. then deciding on a project is pushing it in the timescales. If an individual has a project in the pipeline and somebody else is willing to jump in with both feet, that may work.

As I said, such a project will need a clear focus and if every aspect needs to be discussed and thrashed out at great length, that takes up a lot of time. If there is a clear vision, communicated well to the others in the group, with each person having clearly defined roles, then much of the discussion part (which can be pleasurable in its own right but is ultimately a waste of good modelling time!)can be swept away. That is how the two of us work. I am doing the track, Ken is building the platforms. I trust him and leave him to get on with it, only getting involved if he asks me a question. He is the same with me.

This layout is "mine" rather than Ken's, so the vision is from me and it is up to me to tell Ken exactly what I want it to look like. Previous layouts have been Ken's (Narrow Road, Valleyfields) or mine (Tickhill & Wadworth and Sutton Dock) and we are both happy to go along with the ideas of helping the other achieve their goals.

It works for us and enables us to build layouts at great speed.

I have failed in persuading my wife to join RMweb and join in with modeling - I thought the concept of a wife taking her first forray into her husband's hobby would be a good concept.

this was after she shot down the idea of working with my brother as 'you spend too much time in the spare room as it is'

Jack, there are some people who even have problems getting on with their alter-egos. ;)

My

and I were thinking of entering something in S, but there may be a few co-operation issues ...

I have failed in persuading my wife to join RMweb and join in with modeling

Just a thought, could a new member be co-opted (sp?) on to RMweb purely to join a friend in this competition? Or is that cheating...?

Just a thought, could a new member be co-opted (sp?) on to RMweb purely to join a friend in this competition? Or is that cheating...?

I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as they're an active part of the team and could commit to being an active part of the communication process through the build.

If my son was still around, I'd have gone down the father and son line. At two-and-a-half, Thomas Ivor was quite adept at most of the messy stuff. His ballasting was a bit 'out there', but if you want scatter laying in a random pattern, or plaster bandage laying (see avatar!) he's your man.

On the modular front, how many LACK shelves can you get, end on, into the exhibition hall? One each?!

I wonder if I could find a very attractive, 20 something blond who can wield a scalpel and know the difference between a kettle and a blue box!!

With a bottle of hair dye, I feel I meet all of the above.

Pix

Ten days until the proposal submission date!

I know there's a couple of very strong ideas/plans being formulated out there. If anyone is working on stuff and wants any input/guidance from me please do let me know.

With a bottle of hair dye, I feel I meet all of the above.

Pix

what you reckon you can tell the difference between the kettle and the box ... yeah right ;)

Just a note to say that the deadline has now passed. There have been three very interesting entries for which I thank all parties. The entries have now been submitted to the office for 'the panel' to discuss and decide with a commitment to a fast decision. By god; any of the entries need all the time they can get! ;)

• RMweb Gold

3 entries doesn't sound like many - but the need to get a team together and come up with a workable proposal in sufficient detail in not-very-long means I'm not surprised at all. RMweb is full of talented modellers, but teaming up to meet timescales can be another matter entirely, as most people also have lives to lead, jobs, families to support etc.

I hope the panel are pleased by what is on offer and we can see some white smoke emerge soon!

Archived