Wireing a guagemaster t1 transformer

pharro

I have just bourght myself a t1 and just read the instructions. Well what what could call intructions more like a sheet of warnings.

I need help wireing. I gather posative and negative (blue and brown) go on the input termanals (2 pins on the back) for the mains plug. It says the clamp must be connected to the earth where and what is the clamp?

On the output there must be a 1amp fuse between the transformer and the controler. Would some fuse wire do.

Will the hole transformer need to be cased or can I just screw it inside my controle box?

Is there anything I have missed?

Thank you for looking

I

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but..........

Just reading your post makes it obvious to me that you do not know what you are doing as far as electrics are concerned! You are an accident waiting to happen!

I think you should get someone with some electrical experience to do the job.

If I was to tell you how to proceed, and, god forbid you got electrocuted I don't wish to be responsible for you mis understanding any instructions.

Whilst I feel reluctant to answer your questions what I will say is this,

Yes it needs to be cased. If you use a metal case it MUST be earthed.

NO, fuse wire will not do (Even if you can buy 1 A fuse wire!).

The "Clamp" is the clamp that holds the transformer together usually has two fixing holes in the base.

And finally DO NOT introduce mains voltages into your control panel. That is a definite no no and would be asking for trouble.

Maybe now you can see why the instruction leaflet is full of warnings!

Cheers

Frank

I don't mean to sound disrespectful but..........

Just reading your post makes it obvious to me that you do not know what you are doing as far as electrics are concerned! You are an accident waiting to happen!

Whilst I could answer your questions I think you should get someone with some electrical experience to do the job.

If I was to tell you how to proceed, and, god forbid you got electrocuted I don't wish to be responsible for you mis understanding any instructions.

Maybe now you can see why the instruction leaflet is full of warnings!

Cheers

Frank

Can't help but agreeing with Frank. You don't want to mess with 240v.

They do sell a cased version (or at least they used to) I'd use that instead. Far less risk.

Andrew

Though with all things electrical one always only can learn by being informed/instructed/taught and like a lot of things these days seem to be off limits due to nannying regulations that seem to be placed there specifically to stop the learning process.

However, I am not going to explain either and would strongly suggest you follow the advice given by Dukedog and either purchase a stand alone cased unit or train controller or seek the services of a competent electrician.

The rest of us probably were taught these basics in school or by our parents along with all the warnings. Having rewired a number of layouts and bigger projects like complete houses, I can say categorically that a T1 or any open transformer or even any mains wiring has no place in a control panel.

I carnt help but feel humiliated and don't think I will be able to post on here anymore. Worst thing of all I spelt wiring wrong.

I will be taking your advice and get a cased transformer. I guess my life isn't worth saving 20 pounds for. Good job I saved the receipt.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pharro

Your 2nd sentence makes a lot of sense, in that you now recognise that that if you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't tamper with electricity which can be fatefully unforgiving, hence the advice others have given you.

However, the first line is quite different. No harm in asking any sort of question, even the dumb ones - especially as in this case the answer(s) may well have saved your life. I see no evidence that anyone has been disrespectful by pointing out your misspelling of wiring. Big deal, if you made that sort of mistake, you could of made a far worse mistake in attempting to wire the transformer incorrectly. Instead you made the right decision by asking here, FIRST.

If you search, you will find more than one thread on testing of mains powered items for use at exhibitions and other public places.

For good reasons (insurance and lack of willingness to deal with paperwork from Coroners etc for starters), the owners of such premises want to make sure that mains powered devices are safe to use, by meeting a not too difficult standard. Home made electrical work would be more likely to fail such a test. Now THAT would be embarassing for your layout to fail on set up night for an exhibition.

Please don't take offence at any advice offered on this subject.

Regards

Kevin Martin

I'm not angry or feel everyone is taking the mickey out off me. I just feel embarresed and even more so becouse of my spelling. Reading my first post back and knowing how dangerus it is I can see why everyone said stayaway.

At the same time asking on here first was proberly a wise idea and hope anyone else with little electrical understanding will think twice.

Hi pharro,

I hope you don't think that my first post was intended to humiliate you because it wasn't.

I felt I had to use a stern attitude though just to warn you of the dangers of this type of work.

Please accept my apologies if I have offended you in any way.

Take care and keep safe

Cheers

Frank

At the same time asking on here first was probably a wise idea and hope anyone else with little electrical understanding will think twice.

Forget about spelling, most of us make spelling and grammatical errors and it is the nature of using a medium like a forum. Most of us don't get hung up about it (despite the few who do). Of course it is nice to get it right but as long as you can communicate that is the important thing. For many on an international site like this English is not their first language.

The question you asked is not a silly one. In fact quite the contrary as when such a question is asked on an open forum it gives a chance for others to publicly affirm the warnings. The age range and experience of people reading a forum such as this is very wide and any response giving details might be specific to a certain country. For example the colour coding of wires may well be different under different countries, so a global answer may be inappropriate. Sometimes the simplest question is the best question to ask of the forum. It is frequently the one everyone is asking themselves but are not prepared to brave it on a big forum for fear of the "what you don't even know that" type of response. It is easy to forget that we all started there at some point. Keep those questions coming and don't take answers on here too personally, they can often be directed at a wider audience.

• 4 weeks later...

As others have sad, never allow mains voltage to come anywhere near low voltage. Keep your transformers seperate from the control panel. As others have said, if you have any doubt consult an electrician, who will do it cheaply for you.

The open transformer also needs to be secured into a vented metal box, which can be earthed. If you are planning to exhibit your layout, most exhibition managers will require a metal box, not a wooden one.

The mains voltage plug needs to have a 3 amp fuse fitted and to have heavy enough correct cable for the current.

Both of the transformer outputs will also need some kind of protection, either a fuse or circuit breaker.

Output wires should be heavy enough for the amperage of the transformer plus more.

I could tell you how to wire the transformers, but i wont on safety grounds.

Archived