Brush Springs for Hornby Black 5 Loco Drive Motor (X4026)

Simon G

I have acquired a loco drive Hornby Black 5 (R2257) that doesnt run. On investigation, the problem is that the X4026 motor fitted to it (and many other loco drive Hornby engines) is missing one brush spring. Now I know that I can buy a complete replacement motor for about £12, but as the rest of it works fine, I am looking for a source of springs for it.

I have already googled searched and found nothing. A possible alternative is to find a supplier of fine spring wire, and I will try to wind my own spring for it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

On further investigation, the brush associated with the spring was beyond use as well. Now it seems that the brushes are as hard to get as the springs! However a friend of mine gave me an idea when he said he was going to be working at the Cumberland Pencil Museum soon, so would have a supply of graphite. I took an HB pencil and carefully cut back the wooden bit to give a section of pencil lead just under the required diameter of 2mm, and about 6-7mm long. I then took a strand of normal wire and wound it into a spring. Reassembled motor with new impromptu brush and spring, put back into the Black 5 and off she went! She had a good run tonight at my local Club and ran extremely well. I suspect that the lack of springyness (is that a word?) will eventually cause a problem, so I am still looking for proper spring wire.

This prompts a new question. I am sure that others before me have used pencil lead as loco brushes before. If so, any thoughts on what will be the best type of pencil to use? I guess that a softer one will wear and leave deposits on the armature, while a harder one might cause wear to the armature, so the HB might be a good compromise?

• 5 years later...

Archived