Bemo RhB Allegra HOm production model

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

My Bemo Allegra has finally arrived after a year and a half wait 4.gif

First off is a large note telling you how to get it out without damage, the foam insert is a tight fit so initially a second pair of hands was helpful though I've now sorted that out, details below.

The note also warns against repeatedly getting it in and out of the box as this may damage the wiring! Interesting for people who exhibit but I think with care, and maybe a custom insert for the box for general use, it should be ok.

This is the three car version used on the Bernina and Arosa lines where they need a unit capable of pulling additional coaches or freight. There is also to be a 5 car unit later for the RhB local services but that has less powered axles and is really only going to run alone or in multiple with other Allegras.

Overall, a nice sturdy box that will take the whole unit.

0da6623c.jpg

post-6968-0-38811600-1337190838.jpg

It's a superb rendering of the unit with a pile of detailing parts still to add to what you see here.

51edc4fa.jpg

post-6968-0-28088600-1337190890.jpg

Roof details

post-6968-0-55612400-1337190933.jpg

06f2208f.jpg

Centre coach

post-6968-0-79365100-1337190945.jpg

3d6d2c8e.jpg

Corridor connection, there are soft rubber cosmetic cables to attach here for the cabling between coaches. The instructions warn that it needs a short straight between opposing (reverse) curves so it will be interesting to see if it's these extra cosmetic cable that restrict it.

post-6968-0-16789000-1337190958.jpg

1e6cdb97.jpg

Underneath the driving cab unit

post-6968-0-69360100-1337190973.jpg

222fd9bc.jpg

And powered centre coach

post-6968-0-54899800-1337191079.jpg

Factory installed lighting which is quite subtle, see the tiny LEDs mounted in the roof.

post-6968-0-66729800-1337191091.jpg

bf1f5b9f.jpg

And to solve the getting it out of the box issue I chopped 3mm off the end of the foam packing so it slides out much easier.

post-6968-0-41373100-1337191117.jpg

414674ae.jpg

It runs beautifully and all it now requires is me to pack away the G scale so I can test it on the curves and gradients of Rhatia.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Part 2

After Bemo's warning about not repeatedly re-boxing it I needed something that would work for exhibitions. 

Found this 50mm conduit which fits in the Bemo box and cut it to length. 

b669bd93.jpg

Testing the Allegra

112a693c.jpg

You could even use the top of the conduit with thin foam to keep the unit snug. 

048935ce.jpg

I needed something to stop it scraping the sides so I welded in some plastic strip to 12mm gauge. 

a8d15c45.jpg

I've also bought some copper adhesive tape so with a railer I'll be able to drive it in and slot some foam down the sides to protect it. 

54821b4e.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The advantage of two years to save pennies and selling off some surplus Bemo! It's not cheap even by Bemo standards but it does come fitted with lighting as standard and then it compares to a loco and two panoramic coaches fitted with lights.

I can't see anyone buying one on impulse ;)

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if the LGB version due out next year will look as good as the Bemo version.

I'm sure it will look good but it's going to need a much bigger box! ;) Having units semi-permanently coupled in HOm and HO causes a few problems but it's a pain in G if you want to visit other lines or exhibit. As I don't have access to a G scale Swiss layout now I wonder if I could reletter one for the Harz? :devil:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to Peter & Yvonne at Winco the replacement bodyshell for my Allegra centre coach arrived. The fault only being the lack of dark red stripe on the lower bodyside.

First job was to carefully follow the Bemo instructions to separate the 3 coaches. It’s worth reading these carefully as they couplings are indeed very delicate. Don’t use a lot of force or they’ll spring apart and you may rip off a wire.

4C1D5715-5C2D-4FD0-A1D2-56C0FFD9989D-395-0000007345EF09F9.jpg

The pins are very delicate and be careful when it comes to re-assembly that they line up with the right sockets, I nearly assembled it one pin out!

F80BB683-0BB1-4AB9-A0E5-4C0CD7A252C8-395-000000732F9ACAE2.jpg

Separated by pulling the coaches apart then gently pulling the coupling out of the coach it stayed attached to which reveals the mini connector.

E44E1F22-EBC2-4D3E-A874-6445E3892845-395-0000007337B78727.jpg

Undo the 3 screws and carefully pull off the body, the couplings and electrical connectors are attached to the body and not the chassis.

5ED62FA7-9293-4CE8-885E-3A4292112EA4-395-000000731CC54446.jpg

Watch for the chassis coupling pockets catching the bodyshell as you try to free it and make sure the coupling and connector don’t get trapped between the corridor connection and chassis.

64D42154-AD94-44C7-92BE-9C5CDAFD3CD1-395-000000730F44ECCB.jpg

Inside

42A19FF6-73E0-47CD-B6DC-9C1815BF5B28-395-00000073037A2B12.jpg

Gently prise out the fixing caps, Bemo supplied spares.

E7DF8164-B4A2-4490-AFB7-B16BD986B2E3-395-00000072FB1C38CD.jpg

Undo the pantograph.

2D658C87-4B86-43C7-B34D-3B4DA5354ABE-395-00000072F2E9D777.jpg

Gently prise out the circuit board.

A6E393EA-28EA-4B34-8B9F-2B8A059E100C-395-00000072EADF821F.jpg

Pop the pantograph back on.

69FBD213-4423-4D3F-8DF5-E7C5EE7521C5-395-00000072CD8B532D.jpg

Carefully slide the body back on and push the coupling back into it’s socket in the chassis.

DA9163D9-0FAD-40BE-B261-09410412D255-395-00000072C44FF8DA.jpg

Now the difficult bit! Line up the electrical connector carefully making sure it’s pin 1 in pin 1 socket! To press it home I gently held down the coupling with the screwdriver and pushed the plug into the socket to stop it bending up.

0B2B1F07-426C-4B23-AD2E-1C208CC13055-395-00000072B71B8913.jpg

Carefully align the driving trailers socket and pop the coupling in.

9A6A257D-B860-4A36-9F45-BC0E7C65F0AF-395-00000072A19506E8.jpg

So overall easier than a Ge4/4 III I think as with care it’s straight-forward.

Thanks to Bemo and Winco for the no hassle replacement and excellent instructions and support. Peter offered to send it back and get them to sort it if I was unhappy with any of it.

Photos on Rhatia after this weekends show

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul,

Hope all is well in Salisbury. Here things are OK.

Thanks for the nice review and clear pictures of the Allegra.

Have you put the inter coach cables on the model?

Can it run properly with these on, or are these just an option for display?

The top bar between the coaches, do the 2 parts join up?

Regards, Michel

Edited by 59004 ( was Shedcombe....)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Michel

The bars line up closely on the straight but obviously aren't quite as realistic on the corners. I've not fitted the extra cables as I was concerned about reliable running as Rhätia takes the curves and gradient changes to the limits they recommend. As I didn't have the layout up for testing I didn't want to test at a show. I really ought to get them fitted and try it but as the layout is going out for the final time in April and has sustained damp damage with the current appalling weather it won't be done before that as repairs are the priority.

Hi Paul,

I'm not entirely sure yet, If I do go ahead to emark on a Swiss Bernina project.

But when I do (DCC/PC and sound), I think I will adapt/convert the bar(s) by making an inner/outer bar sliding solution, so there's no gap, but enough play for reliable running.

Likewise, I prefer to use the side cables, as this looks really good and so nicely prototypical.

What's the minimum radius for an Allegra?

What minimum radius makes it still look prototypical?

Do the gangways connect up well and really bend in curves?

For the couplings, I like to see if a more prototypical centre buffer + 2 screwlinks can be made up.

Might not be easy to have real coupling on/off going on then.

Will see if I'll manage anything in that department.

I've also put a enquiry out on the forum about a choice in 12mm track.

If you can, please answer this as well?

Sorry to hear Rhätia has suffered damp damage.

Hope it's not too bad.

My layout will be a permanent home based one, due to its massive size, shape and height (llne constantly climbing), so no storage worry or carrying it around.

It will be in a heated room, 10.5m long, what the house was chosen and bought for.

I intend to keep the curve changes and gradient changes within limits, for a prototypical look and prototypical running.

Accompanied a first rough scetch. 1 pixel = 1 cm.

I've called the layout Rhätirano, and starts down in Tirono, and ends just before St. Moritz.

I've looked at Google Maps and Google Earth, and have incorperated things in that I like and combined have the space for.

I don't want to put too much in, it shouldn't look to crammed.

Regards, Michel

post-878-0-01022300-1390685010_thumb.jpg

Edited by 59004 ( was Shedcombe....)

• RMweb Gold

I like the concept :) Technically the Allegra will go down to 330mm radius but I've tried mine on 350mm minimum so far, Rhatia has a 400mm minimum which was as tight as I would accept visually. I'll take some close ups on the 350mm set track tomorrow for you.

See this pic on the Bernina, I'd guess around relative 600mm radius?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=371927&nseq=89

I've used the Peco track and like it for reliability and looks though another friend prefers Bemos own so not much help there!

The options really are Peco, Bemos standard or the better code 70 version or the Tillig HOm. The Tillig stuff looks good but the points are a bit fragile and several reports of the blades coming loose means if you choose that range I would replace the tiebar with a fibre one with two pins soldered to the switch rails for reliability. I've had no problem with the Peco points and they are simple to fit.

I've used Tortoise motors up till now but I'm going to try the new servo system from ANE that's also being marketed by Peco as Smartswitch.

To be honest on track I'd go for what looks right to you compared to the pictures, Loads on railpictures plus the cab ride via google streetview on the bernina ;)

Good dvd's including cab rides from REOS productions and Van Der Burg.

Edited by PaulRhB

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your swift respons and glad you like the concept.

Needs to mature a lot more (only looked into it for a first time yeasterday) and it may well change (but not by a lot, only details, chosen line aspects).

Contemplating for a different passing station then Morterartsch, or possible another one next to it, but don't want them too close.

Should look somewhat real/thruthful, but slightly more operational potential would be better I think.

Now it's just in and out Tirano with a passing option at Morteratsch that requires the upward train to make a shunt manouvre.

Another station, with passingloop and limited stabling is what I'm going to look into.

Plus I want the order of elements right, and after Morteratsch they aren't now.

Thanks for taking the time to take some good pictures on tight curves.

Prototypical to scale, it looks like the tight ones are around 520 mm radius (checked Alp Grüm and Montebello Kurve on Google Earth).

Can you take pictures with the inter coach cables on, or is that a lot of hassle?

I'm looking at getting all 3 released Allegra's (at least) in DCC sound, but not all come as sound version from Bemo AFAIK.

However, you can get the Loksound Micro V4.0 Next18 with the same Allegra soundproject on it, for €105 plus postage.

Not too bad.

The 3501 (DC) is €499, whereas a DCC sound version of 3508 or 3510 for around €625-650.

Yeah, quite an investment, but the overal layout fleet can be limited to around 12 loco's/units and of course coaches and wagons.

Shame a lot of models sell out so quickly.

Regarding track, I suspect, odd as it may seem, that Peco H0m is the most common one to find in the Netherlands.

Tillig is know for its scale fidelity, but of course, sturdiness suffers.

For a fixed layout, not so much a problem.

Availabilty, looks and reliabilty are all important.

I might hold buying track off to (after) Intermodellbau in Dortmund.

If there's an exibition where I should be able to sample all 3, it's there.

Points, I'd like to throw with servo's.

Yes, the Google Streetview of the Bernina is superb, especially to make up my mind.

Never been there before, but looks like an amazing ride.

Regards, Michel

Thanks for these pictures Paul, they make a few things/question at least somewhat clearer.

However, these, and all other/previous you have, I'd like to have in full resolution.

Can you please email the all to michel.vandenhof.trains@gmail.com?

The Allegra makes it clear, that it's very desireble to work with flowing track all the way, and thus especially transitional curves and curves possibly with a little cant.

I think in the visible area's it's 400 mm radius minimum, and thus 350 mm radius minumum technically, with the intercoach cables on.

How flexible are the corridors?

I really would like them to be one piece, or at that they connect up and remain that way in curves.

Will quite likely not be easy to work that out, with all things going on inside and just outside the corridors, but I will certainly give it some thought and trials.

If the corridors would be open on the underside, do you think, with unscrewing all 3 chassis, that you get all 3 out in one go, with the couplingbars and connectors still attached?

Or possibly the other way around, all 3 chassis unscrewed, and then standing on its wheels, remove all 3 bodies plus corridors at once?

The corridors have to be either very flexible and both parts need some form of hooking up to each other, or one piece, with less need for flexibility, but then an open underside and possibly both ends sticking loosely into the body ends.

The way the model looks now in the pictures, the gab in the corridors spoils the whole super detailed effect of the model, a rather dear as such.

I had hoped the corridors would have looked better on the outside curves as they come, but alas there's modelling work to do.

Ah well .... only a £500+ model ...... ;)

Regards, Michel

• RMweb Gold

Michel

The couplings passing through the corridor connectors means you have to separate the coaches to take things apart. See the pics taking the body off above. The circuit board with the plugs on goes right through the bodyshell and out through the corridor connectors.

The connectors are soft and flexible and to be honest in normal use it doesn't show up badly, my torch cruelly accents it.

I'll take a video and send you the pics too.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

This might answer more questions on the assembly, on the bemo site go to locos then click on the relevant model and on the right side below theimage there's usually a page symbol with a letter on it, which takes you to :-

http://www.bemo-modellbahn.de/fileadmin/bemo/files/produktblaetter/7244_000_903.pdf

Although it's very appealing, I've decided not to embark on a Swiss project.

Mainly on cost, a little on availability (of former releases) but also as I'd like a concept that can be taken to exhibitions, have a close to home in the flesh availabilty for stock and other items and more in touch with my youth.

I guess I'm getting old and sentimental. :sungum:

Still, it remains a tasty model, if rather wallet heavy.

Regards, Michel

• 2 years later...

Has anyone got a part number for a replacement (and spares) of the internal coupling  as one of ours has broken in transit to only its 2nd exhibition (or when we discovered it 8-( )    If a parts list was enclosed wit the original, I have misplaced it - and the main instructions give no replacement part number just dire warnings!   I can only find the user-instructions as a download on the Bemo site (and couldn't even find any Allegras there a few weeks ago!)

(Similarly, I have a Weimar 'pig' in need of a new motor and  2-worm drives.... and cannot find that on their website at all.  

Otherwise I suppose I will have to adapt a standard NEM coupling - either losing the benefit of the extra pickup connections (which I assume the side contacts are?? - not yet checked) ... I'm not sure it is a requirement for the electrical multi-way to be attached to the coupling bar!

• 11 months later...

Re-posted into the original Allegra thread I asked the question in, a year ago...  the replacement part arrived today, following a repeated email request o Bemo a few weeks ago..

FYI - Since no part numbers appear to be included with the Bemo Allegra, or are available to download from their website, other Allegra users may find this Part Number of use:    1244 000 429   for the 'NEM-NEM- internal coupling bar with 2 electrical (track pickup) contacts either side.

The cost is a mere 2.11 Euro plus shipping and VAT >> 8.22 Euro at current prices +Bank charges [no Paypal offered].]

Now it can again start zig-zagging its way across a 3m long board !  Maybe the next layout will be fully H0m 8-)

• 2 months later...

resurecting an old thread, has anyone added a sound decoder to an anologue version?  I have the chance of a 2nd hand one and the instructions on the Bemo site are not so clear. I know a LokSound next 18 decoder is used and that is easy enough to source, but I was wondering about the speaker and whether the stanard ESU one will fit.