Bemo RhB Allegra HOm production model

PaulRhB

To answer my own question.  I bought an unused Allegra in the white ABB livery, the accessories have a different bridging board for DCC, that was the bit that I was unclear of from the instructions.  Next 18 ESU decoder sourced along with a suitable speaker....another thing to keep me busy over the Christmas and New Year period :)

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but thanks for posting the best pictures I've seen of the Bemo Allegra. Bemo's photos and advertising information leaves a lot to be desired.

This seems to be a very sophisticated model, even the older analog version from 2012 when this thread was first posted. 

The one I ordered comes sound equipped and I'm really looking forward to watching this train run.

I was uncertain how it was shipped, how the control cabs and center unit was connected, or even which end had the motive power. Now I realize it's the center car. 

Thank you for all of the helpful information. I think I will now be better prepared for what will hopefully show up on my front porch one of these days soon.

I have a question about the Allegra.

What is the grey pipe on the roof of the control cab and the coach at the ends? It appears that they should be connected to one another but are not.

bemo allegra hom (5)b.JPG

• RMweb Gold

I think in reality it’s an electrical connection or damper but has to be modelled in two halves as it it would need to slide and be extremely delicate if it worked ;)

There are enough delicate bits to break off getting it out of the box :) 

• RMweb Gold

The Allegra is a superb model and mine had the dcc socket I just wasn’t using dcc as it wasn’t compatible with the automatic signalling on Rhätia. 
I did think about painting it into HSB livery and making it a pseudo combi Railcar for my Harz layout but chickened out! ;) 

• Funny 1

Thanks for the info Paul. I might try to rig up a small silicone tube that will slide over of each of the mounted tubes. It depends upon how freely they swivel and what bits and pieces I have lying about.

After reading your past posts I'm going to be extremely careful and slow about getting this out of the box if it ever shows up.

Inbound Into Customs
Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

April 25, 2020, 12:26 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) 

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
April 18, 2020, 4:36 am

Processed Through Facility
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

April 17, 2020, 7:49 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MichaelE said:

I might try to rig up a small silicone tube that will slide over of each of the mounted tubes. It depends upon how freely they swivel and what bits and pieces I have lying about.

Be very careful - they do not swivel. Maybe a section of 1mm shrink wrap just slid over them - not heated, just loose, but I would be worried that they are quite brittle mouldings.

34 minutes ago, JimFin said:

Be very careful - they do not swivel. Maybe a section of 1mm shrink wrap just slid over them - not heated, just loose, but I would be worried that they are quite brittle mouldings.

I'm not going to do that then. If they are the least bit fiddly, I'm just going to leave them alone and use my imagination. 

I've already fixed my share of tiny detail parts on other locomotives.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another question about the Bemo Allegra.

The owner's manual states that for static display the interconnecting hoses and cables may be installed. Does that mean to say it is not meant to be ran live with these hoses and cables connected to each car?

Are these stiff molded plastic parts or are they made of silicone rubber that will allow flexing around curves?

• RMweb Gold

They are flexible but limit the radius it will negotiate. There’s no guidance on what they will allow and they certainly wouldn’t stretch to the 16 inch tightest radius I had. They are also very fiddly to install so not something you can pop off to run ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

72 days now with the USPS and still no package. Tracking has now been archived (after 60 days with no scan) and my local postmaster is involved and received a reply from Chicago ISC, but with no useful information.

It basically stated "We'll get to it when we get to it..."

Piss poor way to run a business. I guess it's the only way when you get your funding from the US Government and you answer to no one.

I have most of the catenary I need for the visible front part of the layout and the wire too, but can't install any of it permanently until I proof the track. It's one thing to run an HOm car around to check for derailments and smoothness of operation, but quite another to run a live locomotive around the track to check things out.

Edited by MichaelE
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

My local Postmaster has suggested I contact Union Modelbahn in Germany and I did so yesterday. They are almost as disappointed as I am that this has still not been delivered and they appologized. Though I did not think they had reason to.

They investigated my evidence of non-delivery and have contacted DHL to start an investigation.

I don't know where this will go from here.

I'm thinking a couple of different ways.

DHL will pay the €500 insurance claim to Union Modellbahn, and they will in turn re-imburse me for at least that amount and I'll be out €220.

DHL will pay the €500 to UM, and they will send me another Allegra (if they have any more) and they will write off the €220 as a loss on their taxes.

UM will get the €500 and offer to sell me another Allegra at €220.

Either way, someone (likely me) is going to be out of, at the least €220.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Eh? How can you be down €220? If they can’t provide it then the shop and courier should reimburse you in full. The shop can be out of it didn’t insure in full but they can’t charge you for that! Did you buy it on a credit card? I’d be talking to them if you did as they will refund you and then back charge the shop who can then claim from DHL. 

Well, you have a good point. They should have insured it for the full amount. I did not think of that.

Maybe they will take responsibility for under-insuring this shipment and provide another and no cost at all to me. 

I guess I will have to wait and find out from them what DHL reports when they get finished with their investigation.

One note though, DHL fulfilled their obligation by delivering it to the US. The US Postal Service and US Customs I would think are now responsible for either losing it or allowing it to be stolen. DHL may come back and say it wasn't their fault, so sorry.

• RMweb Gold

No they seem to have a creative experience department or a relative of Dali working somewhere in the system!

Mind you eBay have screwed up badly with their global shipping too and would only investigate once I quoted their agreement with Royal Mail at them, provided by RM. When they bothered to investigate they found cctv that they’d stuck the same label on two parcels and sent the second one off to the wrong person. What they didn’t admit was if then everything after that was also out of sequence, bet there was a right mess!!!! It all hinged on them refusing to admit they had it until I got RM involved and got hold of their bulk shipment acceptance agreement!

I now photograph parcels before sending too to prove the correct address was on, that was an early excuse that I’d obviously sent it with the wrong address! 

They are all very quick to deny responsibility and leave you no option but to become a nuisance by bombarding them with info and calls. 

I hope it turns up!

Me too. I have sent tens of emails to the postal service and customs. I'm certain they are tired of hearing from me, but still they do nothing to help.

I hope UM has better luck on their end with DHL.