Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Moving into the 20th C., surely the Balti is a Black Country invention? First produced at The Lye, near Stourbridge, I believe.

My father in law insisted that it came from Baltistan (now in North Pakistan) and he had been there in the 1930s. Mother in law insisted it was named after a balti which is a cooking pot.

I thought it was invented in Birmingham's curry triangle before moving to Lye.

My parents moved from Wolverhampton a month before I was born(evil landlady, eviction, no room at the inn...) so I didn't get the honour of being born in the Black Country!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

The Dudley 'moke': branch train to Dudley. On the subject of donkeys, it was alleged that they were manufactured in Lower Gornal, there were so many in that area at the beginning of the 20th Century. And what about Cradley 'yeath (Heath)- Chain making: the Titanic (among others) had there anchor chains made there. Alas, I believe, the industry is now all gone.

Walsall bloke goes into a tailors for a suit. Having made his choice, he is considering accessories. "Kipper tie"?, says the tailor.

"Oh, cheers myte", he replies; "Milk and two sugars!"

Dave.

From my spiritual advisor, the Reverend Lewis...

A fellow coming off shift from the steel works at Tipton finds the village idiot fishing on the canal bridge

- What ave yow cot then?

- I cot a whale

- Butt there are now whales in ter canal.

- Oh aye there are, I just cot wun

-Whiere is then? Show me!

- Oh, I threw eat back, it were no good, the rim were bent and the tyre were bald.

My reply to any Australian who used to go on about how wonderful Oz was used to be:-

'I f it's so good, why did me Uncle Bert move from Tasmania to Tipton..@

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be a popular subject matter, one that has perhaps not received the attention it deserves considering the industrial, railway and canal heritage of the area.

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What are the chances of the actual project thread NOT mentioning pies at all ?

Good luck to the team - looking forwards to seeing how you progress !

Edited by Stubby47

I thought the Balti originated from Indian long distance lorry drivers , who would cook their dinners in a hubcab of an evening....

Speaking of Black Country delicacies , has anybody mentioned grey pays and bacon yet?

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest what aspects of the real Black Country in the 70s do folk think the group should include as classic signature items to really place the layout? What really shouts "black country" visually?

(serious modelable suggestions only, for food and drink suggestions see companion thread!)

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest what aspects of the real Black Country in the 70s do folk think the group should include as classic signature items to really place the layout? What really shouts "black country" visually?

(serious modelable suggestions only, for food and drink suggestions see companion thread!)

Muck - back in the days when it still was the real industrial (or declining industrial) Black Country it struck me as 'grubby', the view from the train window was of a grubby indiustry, grubby housebacks and a grubby railway. So to me if it isn't grubby it won't be real (and if it includes a station that should have a special grubbiness all of its own. Look at some examples in here (I know they're not all proper Black Country but look at Spon Lane and Vauxhall & Duddeston to get a feel of what I'm rabbiting on about.

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/LocalStationsPtoZ.html

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

Good luck to the team - looking forwards to seeing how you progress !

Non existant as they HAVE to include a rail connected pie factory!!! :P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Muck - back in the days when it still was the real industrial (or declining industrial) Black Country it struck me as 'grubby'....

Some great photos on that site, thanks, I know what you mean, it's that sort of grubbiness ingrained into every surface that a 100+ years of industry gives to an area. One of the things which appeals to me about the area is the way that the muck and industry contrast with areas of (relatively) green open space; something I was unable to capture in the tight space contraints of Foundry Lane.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we need a pie "swear box" with some form of forfeit each time pie was mentioned in this thread. I have a forfeit in mind which involves flat bottomed rail - but I'm sure details of that will come out in time.......

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this immensely, because I have nostalgic, boyhood memories of the Black Country. In my mind, the landscape has an uncompromising, robust, down-to-earth, industrious honesty, populated by friendly people with similar characteristics. My abiding memory is the diaphanous haze (model that!) that seemed to hang in the atmosphere, unmoved by wind or sun, along with variegated, rickety wooden fences and equally rickety wooden buildings which contrasted with the hefty, brick-built permanence of seemingly everything else (Great Bridge South and Wednesbury Central anyone?).

This has to be one of my favourite photographs:

5472949283_981d7dc2d1.jpg

4074 "Caldicot Castle" by Tutenkhamun Sleeping, on Flickr

And anywhere that can lay claim to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier just has to have my unfaltering admiration and gratitude. Ah! the noble, loyal Staffy; did someone mention uncompromising, robust, down-to-earth, industrious, honest, friendly and hefty?

Good luck, chaps. I know you can do the area justice, just as Greg Brookes has with his magnificent Shenston Road.

Regards,

BR(W).

Edited by BR(W)
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Muck - back in the days when it still was the real industrial (or declining industrial) Black Country it struck me as 'grubby', the view from the train window was of a grubby indiustry, grubby housebacks and a grubby railway. So to me if it isn't grubby it won't be real (and if it includes a station that should have a special grubbiness all of its own.

Chimes with me, too, Mike. As an 18-year old Southerner with railway travel facilities, I was keen to try out the new electric trains - slogan "Now you are closer to the Heart of England" - and the quick trip between New St and Wolverhampton delivered grot by the bucket-load! Plenty of sidings in those days - I'm sure there was a box called Spon Lane, so while New St had its PSB, there were traditional boxes aplenty - the backs of factories on all sides, and frequent glimpses of equally-careworn canal cuts. Being a bit star-struck by the blue electrics, I'm not sure I did very much travelling off the main lines, but in much more recent years a few trips from Rugeley Town into New St via Walsall etc convince me that the Black Country may deserve a kinder soubriquet these days.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What ever you do you will have to have some Palethorpes vans.

That triggered another memory. At the time of my journeys north of London in those days (late '60s) there was a slightly faded Palethorpes van in the end of the sidings at the back of Wolverton works. Not sure I ever saw one in traffic, though.
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

Is it still possible to get a chainmaker's?

For those not familiar, it is quite a large breakfast ideal for for the heavy manual work that was common in the industries long ago, such as a puddler.

Andy