Tram-Trains for Sheffield to Rotherham

I do wonder if the energisation is as much to deter the "copper fairies" from nicking the overhead line. Mind you 750 volts hasn't stopped the scrotes from making off with wire from Midland Metro in the past.

There's been copper up in the air since October 2017, and as far as I know, no incidents of theft.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday: there are works this weekend to connect the overhead wiring between the two systems (existing tram network and the extension) at the Meadowhall end, so if it has been switched on, rather than just being "considered live and dangerous", something will need to be switched off again for the works to take place.

Irrelevant footnote: wasn't "Live and Dangerous" a Thin Lizzy album?

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I believe so and is celebrating its 40th birthday this year according to Planet Rock.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 1

There's been copper up in the air since October 2017, and as far as I know, no incidents of theft.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday: there are works this weekend to connect the overhead wiring between the two systems (existing tram network and the extension) at the Meadowhall end, so if it has been switched on, rather than just being "considered live and dangerous", something will need to be switched off again for the works to take place.

The notices give a date when the OLE is to be "considered to be live" within the limits shown.  That means that workers have to assume it is live and observe appropriate precautions including obtaining an isolation for any work that can't be done under live OLE.  So it's extra safety paperwork compared with the previous situation, even if the overhead hasn't actually been switched on yet. 

• RMweb Premium

Nothing's ever been "imminent" with this project! 

As well as a load of electrical equipment already installed, the electrical supply point still has a series of heavy-duty foundations with nothing on top of them - I've no idea what's missing.

Will keep my eyes peeled for more info.

Perhaps there is some forward planning and it's a foundation for switchgear capable of supplying 25kv if it is ever converted.  The trams have the necessary equipment and I believe, as discussed previously that clearances and insulation are compatible.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I can’t see how they can test the full tram-train-ness without energising the main bit at 25Kv, at least for a while. After all this is supposed to be a pilot

I'm still not sure what it's a pilot of.

What are we learning here that we couldn't already find out from looking at overseas tram-train operations and the Tyne and Wear Metro (where overhead DC powered light rail already mixes with conventional heavy rail)?

Rotherham Central yesterday.

New tram platforms, work in progress, minimal shelters part-completed, surfacing still needed:

post-6971-0-87873800-1524388442.jpg

And a poster by the ticket office warning "don't touch!":

post-6971-0-92610300-1524388440.jpg

Sorry about the reflections of my hands - couldn't be helped.

Also yesterday, over at the Tinsley chord, they were tying the last knots in the overhead wiring, joining the two systems.

From Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop, replacement bus sign on the left, new signal, humungous new post for anchoring the wires for the curve, and road-railers in the distance:

post-6971-0-44221100-1524388434.jpg

Zoomed in. The sign in the middle reads "Trams must not pass on these facing points":

post-6971-0-50249300-1524388439.jpg

From the viaduct, a wide view:

post-6971-0-94541200-1524388432.jpg

and looking down showing the shiny new copper, along with devices to keep the wire following the tight curve (anyone know the terminology?):

post-6971-0-07214400-1524388437.jpg

The bus replacements at Tinsley are scheduled to last all weekend, and the photos were around 9am yesterday, so I don't know if they will need all the time allocated, or if there's other work to be done.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Wandered past the substation again today and there's now anonymous grey equipment boxes on all the foundations, and it's all looking nice and tidy and finished off, apart from a temporary security cabin and a mobile lift platform on site.

There was also an electrical hum coming from the biggest equipment box, which I hadn't noticed before, so it sounds like someone's pulled the big switch.

Unless of course it's all been an evil plot:

post-6971-0-75153900-1525013157.jpg

• Like 2

The German term is "Bogenabzug" and the Sommerfeldt catalogue describes the English term as "pull-off'. Strictly speaking, that's exactly what it says on the tin ;)

Pull-off is certainly recognised terminology for this, though as usual on the railway there are probably people who call it something else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aha, last weekend I saw a suggestion that might happen, but with no insider knowledge, I'm at a disadvantage.

I can at least confirm that nothing seems to have got as far as Rotherham Parkgate yet, to judge by the rust and paint on the spur into the platform (photos taken today):

post-6971-0-66004700-1526219831.jpg

Also at Parkgate, a shelter has been planted (camera poked through fence):

post-6971-0-33062000-1526219823.jpg

View of exit signal from Parkgate platform. It's showing red, but the angle and the bright sun means it's hard to see:

post-6971-0-27948500-1526219813.jpg

And near the Beatson Clark glassworks (just the Parkgate side of Rotherham Central station), where the canal towpath is separated from the line by a 6 foot wall, additional higher panels have been plonked in place, except for the section where the oxygen pipeline runs along the top of the wall (compare e.g. this view http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/?p=2888370):

post-6971-0-94615600-1526219837.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aha, last weekend I saw a suggestion that might happen, but with no insider knowledge, I'm at a disadvantage.

I can at least confirm that nothing seems to have got as far as Rotherham Parkgate yet, to judge by the rust and paint on the spur into the platform (photos taken today):

attachicon.gifParkgate rusty rail.jpg

Also at Parkgate, a shelter has been planted (camera poked through fence):

attachicon.gifParkgate platform.jpg

View of exit signal from Parkgate platform. It's showing red, but the angle and the bright sun means it's hard to see:

attachicon.gifParkgate exit signal.jpg

And near the Beatson Clark glassworks (just the Parkgate side of Rotherham Central station), where the canal towpath is separated from the line by a 6 foot wall, additional higher panels have been plonked in place, except for the section where the oxygen pipeline runs along the top of the wall (compare e.g. this view http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/?p=2888370):

attachicon.gifTowpath wall.jpg

Things must be bad in Rotherham if they're having to pipe oxygen in.

• RMweb Premium

It's for the deep-sea divers in the canal.

The divers will have to be in and out quick or the metal fairies round there will have their ballast weights away.

Jamie

• 1 month later...

Well something's been in to the terminus at Parkgate this week, as shown by a shiny edge to the rails today (29/7) that wasn't there last Sunday (24/7).

Can't find any reports elsewhere, and it could have been a "not a tram", like a track maintenance machine as in this post, since there's an access point near the Parkgate platform.

Still, it's the only real sign of progress I've found since I got back from holidays (including real working tram-trains in Karlsruhe and Mulhouse!).

Not the most exciting photos in the world. This is the entry-exit points to the terminus (left hand road):

post-6971-0-21921100-1530270687.jpg

post-6971-0-94042600-1530270694.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide

• 2 weeks later...

Daylight testing is in Realtimetrains this week, so I dashed down to Parkgate see the first working, waited, waited, started heading back and then checked the phone again, 30 mins late at Rotherham Central:

post-6971-0-55029700-1531733402_thumb.jpg

A quick about-turn, and success - 399202 in the Parkgate terminus with 144013 passing by:

post-6971-0-32246700-1531733414.jpg

• Like 6

The tram-train makes the Pacer look positively capacious !. Thanks for your ongoing postings on this project eastwestdivide.

Cheers.

According to Wikipedia,

Tram-train capacity 88 (seated), 150 (standing)

144: 2-car = 99 seats, 3-car = 157 seats.