RMweb Newsletter

Sound idea, and painless enough to register and avoid the spam. I fail to see any problem. To slightly misquote a former Australian PM " If you don't like it then you have one absolute right, and that's the right to leave" or in this case, not register.

I'm sure I can't be the only one concerned about the change from being a forum member to a "marketable resource" but thank you for explaining the thinking behind it.

Your forum membership stays as before, this is just an add-on which you have to register for. Or not.

If we keep you engaged with interesting content and you start to feel some form of pleasant disposition towards Warners as opposed to the negative perspective above it is hoped that a percentage of newsletter readers may wish to buy or subscribe to BRM, attend a Warners show or maybe buy other products such as limited editions when they're done.

Though being excluded is hardly good marketing and is probably going to have the opposite effect. Just like the Free Magazine offer that also didn't function and required deviation and registration through another site, it is all unnecessary. When trying to captivate the members loyal to RMWeb and trying to induce them back into the paper world or to swap from current magazine loyalty, presumably the purpose of marketing, the process should be simple for all.

The strange thing is that I am an ideal target. I buy BRM about once or twice a year, usually when stuck at an airport. I generally like what I see in it, but it is things like this that make me feel negative towards it.

If Andy/BRM just started bombarding us with emails offering subscriptions and suchlike then there would be people moaning that their privacy was being invaded with spam they hadn't asked for and bemoaning Andy selling out to a commercial organisation.

As I see it by using an opt in process BRM are doing people a favour because the recipients retain control of what content they receive and does seem a more ethical approach.

Perhaps if there was better integration that opt in could be via a control panel attached to our profiles, but given RMWeb and Warners sites exist in different spaces of the internet I doubt they have even got as far as even thinking of such integration since the purchase of RMWeb.

Though being excluded is hardly good marketing and is probably going to have the opposite effect. Just like the Free Magazine offer that also didn't function and required deviation and registration through another site, it is all unnecessary. When trying to captivate the members loyal to RMWeb and trying to induce them back into the paper world or to swap from current magazine loyalty, presumably the purpose of marketing, the process should be simple for all.

The strange thing is that I am an ideal target. I buy BRM about once or twice a year, usually when stuck at an airport. I generally like what I see in it, but it is things like this that make me feel negative towards it.

Of course my previous response was TIC as we're not wishing to exclude anyone but the issue raised is most likely to be the security methods you adopt to hide behind the Berlin Wall rather than a problem with the site/registration process.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I can't be the only one concerned about the change from being a forum member to a "marketable resource" but thank you for explaining the thinking behind it.

I can probably name at least one more.

I really don't see your problem - if you want to get the info offered then you register, if you don't want to get the info then don't - it's not rocket science. But if you choose NOT to get the info don't start bleating when that info happens to be "99.9% off a Blue Pullman"

• RMweb Gold

I can probably name at least one more.

I really don't see your problem - if you want to get the info offered then you register, if you don't want to get the info then don't - it's not rocket science. But if you choose NOT to get the info don't start bleating when that info happens to be "99.9% off a Blue Pullman"

Indeed, it's not as if Andy or Warners are going to force your computer to stay logged into RMWeb for hours on end whilst they use every trick in the book to persuade you to sign up for the Special Edition Fell locomotive *, and then accompany you (on your I-Phone thingey) down to the cashpoint to effect a withdrawal... ;) :P

* Sorry, did I give the game away?!....

• RMweb Gold

But I don't want a Blue Pullman (but if it's a 42XX then ). But you're spot on - if we want it we can have it, for nothing; and if we don't want it we needn't sign up. If the boot was on the old foot and we were paying for it through donations and raffles etc would we be getting this extra service - could Andy afford more of his own time in order to set it up and run it? I suspect in our hearts of hearts we know the answer to that and in this newsletter we, the members of RMweb, are getting something out of the change of ownership - if we want to take advantage of it. The only - very minor - problem I had was coming up with yet another password which I can hopefully remember without jotting it on a piece of paper etc - that took some time.

And in fact we are seemingly gaining a really tangible benefit in shifting some of our traffic to another server in respect of MI and the time etc we use in downloading it and to a 'puter numbskull such as me that must surely be useful?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got mine yet...

Will this newsletter also start appearing in print, either within the BRM or as a fall-out supplement (ooh, I know, they could put them both in a ...)

With your stardom status Andy, I think you should update your photo. You look thoroughly pi55ed off in the photo! Perhaps it was taken after a couple of members were put on moderated status?!

Signed up and can't wait for my 99.9% off a Blue Pullman as promised by Beast!

I haven't got mine yet...

Will this newsletter also start appearing in print, either within the BRM or as a fall-out supplement (ooh, I know, they could put them both in a ...)

I hope it will be in a plastic bag..... :jester:

(its ok the weathers warm I don't need to get my coat)

Archived