Prestatyn Station in N

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to see the end of this, but look forward immensely to Llangollen!

A very quick query.  In one of AY's pictures there is a Post Office POS in a rake of Mk1s.  Is this intended to be a mail train or would a POS be put in a passenger rake?  I would like more excuses to run my OO one!

Thanks for the comment!

The Post Office coach is in my much-shortened version of the Irish Mail; the original had at least 2, even sometimes 3, Mail coaches, plus GUV's, Buffet, SK's etc totalling about 14-15 coaches, whereas mine is just 8 so I could only run a representative rake...!  I believe anecdotally that some PO coaches were held over at Holyhead and sent back in regular passenger rakes if they weren't needed - how accurate that is I don't know but could be an excuse for you to run yours!

David

Yes remember those too!!! We did the same. Although it wasn't raining up the valley for once when we went.Jinty ;-)

Rover Tickets is what I used all summer in the early 80's to bash class 40's on the coast & in the winter months a 40p evening Rover (covered Prestatyn to Bangor) to cover the night Bangor just in case a class 40 turned up.

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

Have only just joined this forum having created my first N Gauge, and have just been through every page from start to finish of your Prestatyn model. What an amazing creation, congratulations on an extremely life like replica. I have never been to Prestatyn but now feel like I know the place so well. One thing that struck me was how such minor changes can affect the mood of the place in that, by placing vending machines on the platform, immediately makes one think of how platforms have changed in recent times (changed for the worse imho) and makes one think back to "the good old days" when you could buy a platform ticket and see the trains whilst having a cup of tea and a bun in the café on the platform.

Good luck with your next project, and many thanks for such an entertaining account of your endeavours.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Have only just joined this forum having created my first N Gauge, and have just been through every page from start to finish of your Prestatyn model. What an amazing creation, congratulations on an extremely life like replica. I have never been to Prestatyn but now feel like I know the place so well. One thing that struck me was how such minor changes can affect the mood of the place in that, by placing vending machines on the platform, immediately makes one think of how platforms have changed in recent times (changed for the worse imho) and makes one think back to "the good old days" when you could buy a platform ticket and see the trains whilst having a cup of tea and a bun in the café on the platform.

Good luck with your next project, and many thanks for such an entertaining account of your endeavours.

Gary

Hi Gary

Apologies - for some reason I thought I'd replied to your post but the evidence says otherwise!

Many thanks indeed for your kind words; if the layout is easily identified with its location then it's done its job.  And yes, it's amazing just how platforms and their furniture etc have changed over the years - although I never had to buy a platform ticket at Prestatyn; you just went down the steps and sat on a bench for the afternoon!

I'm currently facing the heart-rending scenario of having to break up the layout to move to another residence. It will have to go into storage for the time being until I can work out a way to set it up again somewhere.  It's not really designed to move so I am going to have to decide where to break the tracks and sever the boards - not an easy decision!

Thanks again for your interest, and I hope your modelling is as satisfying and fun for you as Prestatyn has been for me.

David

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All

Given the closure over the weekend of the North Wales Coast signal boxes, including Prestatyn, and the removal of the semaphore signals, the layout has become something of a historic record! 

I have had a number of enquiries for the layout but no firm offers, so I will keep the scenic part of the layout as a static display to remember it 'as it used to be'.

Thank you for all your support and interest.

David

Archived