So, here we are, just a shade over 2 years later and I seem to have found a round tuit, prompted by the layout's forthcoming appearance at Zedex on 5th October.
As I mentioned previously, I wanted to replace the fiddly cassette arrangement with a continuous run.
This needed a extension to the baseboard. First, the cassette alignment blocks, end stop & wiring were removed and a sheet of 4mm ply was laid over the area to provide a base for the track that is to replace the cassettes.
The track exits the scenic area at slight angles at either end, deliberately so, therefore the ply needed shaping to fit. I nearly got it right but a touch of filler will hide a multitude of sins.
An extension at the rear was needed to hold the rest of the track. I didn't want to cut into the existing structure so I grafted on some robust fixing arrangements. I do have a tendency to build robustly...
This was pretty strong but I felt it wouldn't quite support another 6" of baseboard cantilevered from the original structure without flexing. So I added some bearers at the ends like so
A simple rear extension of 6mm ply with 2" by 1" framing was made. Actually it was 2 bits of ply joined in the middle as I had some nearly the right size and it was easier than cutting into a brand new sheet. Some holes were made for the lighting & control cables and a tag strip screwed in place for future wiring.
I've ended up with the following extended layout ready for track.
Now I made a start on laying some track. For expedience, I'm using Marklin set track, which will give me an accurate 145mm radius loop. To connect the set track to the scenic area I needed some lead-in track. I cut some Marklin straight track to length and cut the web to make it flex. The curve was set by eye and to keep things in place, some PCB sleepers were inserted. It's quite a but gentler than the 145mm radius elsewhere. 1/4" wide strips of plasticard were used to make sure different sizes and heights of track matched up. The visible track is code 40 rail on PCB sleepers, the Marklin track is code 60 rail.
The track was glued & pinned in place. I used the "Easitrack" acrylic polymer glue as sold by the 2mm Scale Association. This has a very good "grab" of plastic track.
Once the lead-in tracks were set in place I started attaching the curves. These had PCB sleepers inserted for wiring purposes and were also glued & pinned in place. The pins were inserted into predrilled holes and are a tight push fit. Best not to be using hammers around Z gauge track! The pins themselves are tiny and easily bent. The combination of the push fit and glue should keep things in place.
Once the track is down, I checked the track using a longish wheelbase wagon. Everything seems in order, so the job's a good'un.
The next step is some more tracklaying to complete the circuit and passing loop.
Edited by 2mmMark, 09 September 2014 - 23:14 .