P.C.M's workbench.

No pictures of the brick loads, I'm afraid, Peter, but the one thing I remember was the selection of old tyres used as dunnage between the shrink-wrapped pallets of Butterley bricks.

Thanks anyway Brian, the use of old tyres is good to know.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Was it your good self that took a bachy 47035 and changed the front panels to dominoes ? If so what did you use ?

I have Two of these I need to recumbent and adapt to make the fronts more 1982 and less 1978....

Great work as usual by the way !

Peter,

Was it your good self that took a bachy 47035 and changed the front panels to dominoes ? If so what did you use ?

I have Two of these I need to recumbent and adapt to make the fronts more 1982 and less 1978....

Great work as usual by the way !

Hi Rob,

I was me, I only did one end as it seems most locos had marker lights one end and dominoes the other. All I did was file and fill the headcode panel flat repaint and add Fox domino transfers, Replica do them too. Doing it this way does mean you can't see any light showing through but then during daylight you couldn't see them anyway.

Hope that helps, Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I'll give that a go.

Seems Bachmann chose one of the most rare configurations of marker lights and black head code panels

No worries Rob, There were quite a few class 47s about with black headcodes in 82 so you could save yourself some work and leave them black.

Cheers Peter.

Well done peter,

Reminds me that I must dig out my bauxite liveried Bass and get it finished.

A bit off topic, but as like me you use Kadee couplings what magnets do you use? I'm using 308 under the track magnets but find that once a wagon is uncoupled the wagon gets pulled towards the magent. I'm guessing it's just a weight issue, but it's nice to have another opinion on the matter.

Cheers

Steel axles, Wayne? I have seen this happen on other layouts where steel axles were fitted to wagons - the nearest axle gets attracted towards the magnet and if it is free-running, the whole wagon tends to follow!! :)

Pretty much what Jeff said Mate, it doesn't normally happy when there are a few wagons but one or two do tend to roll into where the Magnet sits. I have used the 308s under some parst of Llanbourne other spots have the electro magnets. To fix your problem you could try a thin stripe of plasticard glued at one end to the wagon underside with the other end resting on the axle as a sort of brake. I have used Steam Era Models 12mm wheels as they have a brass Axle, though I am not sure if he does them any more. If you only need a few wagons re wheeled I could send a few spare ones I have over.

Cheers Peter.

Steel axles, Wayne? I have seen this happen on other layouts where steel axles were fitted to wagons - the nearest axle gets attracted towards the magnet and if it is free-running, the whole wagon tends to follow!! :)

Yup, dreaded steel axles indeed.

Pretty much what Jeff said Mate, it doesn't normally happy when there are a few wagons but one or two do tend to roll into where the Magnet sits. I have used the 308s under some parst of Llanbourne other spots have the electro magnets. To fix your problem you could try a thin stripe of plasticard glued at one end to the wagon underside with the other end resting on the axle as a sort of brake. I have used Steam Era Models 12mm wheels as they have a brass Axle, though I am not sure if he does them any more. If you only need a few wagons re wheeled I could send a few spare ones I have over.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks peter,

I was thinking of some sort of brake but on wagons with shallow solebars i was thinking that the 'brake gear' might be noticable. I'll have a look at Steam Era Models.

Thanks for your offer, might take you up on it for some of the more urgent 'fleet' wagons. Of course I would gladly give you something for them if they're in short supply.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the workbench are class 20165 and 20009, Well they will be eventually. Work done so far is to replace roof fans with A1 models grilles. They aren't as good as the shawplan ones but I had them in the bits box. I have also done the speedo cables for each loco, 20009 being a disc loco has a different speedo to the later headcode box locos. 20009 also had Oval buffers with were fitted to some of the earlier loco's.

Other work done so far is to swap one of the cabside windows from 165 onto 009, the windows fitted to 009 were the earlier recessed ones which look a bit naff so I have removed them and filed off round the edge so I could make them a flush fit.

Cheers Peter.  

post-7022-0-72342100-1382265488_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-39197000-1382265518_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-61141900-1382265561_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-15769200-1382265597_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I did the same to the cab side windows with my early Bachmann 20s - it makes a vast improvement to the appearance.

Thanks Jeff, I did it to my 20154 a few years back so had to do it to this one.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Looking good so far Peter,

Interesting you're doing 20165, this is one of my planned locos for my new project following it's transfer up north from Potash duties.

Cheers

Hi Wayne,

My 165 will be pre Thornaby  so won't have the number on the bufferbeam and other Thornaby extras. The hard bit will be adding the Orange line.

Cheers Peter.

I like the class 20 mod.

I have a couple of old Lima ones to bring up to speed and will need to do some research as I understand that different batches had different sized cabside windows.

Do you know if A1 or Shawplan do an etched radiator grill to replace the moulded ones?

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Not sure about the rad grille I haven't done anything with mine. You are right about some locos having the larger cabside windows. I think it was mainly locos originally based in Scotland which had the recess for tablet catcher. I did a Lima pair some time ago and put one on a Bachmann chassis, my 20121 has the larger windows, I just filed then out to the right size and added a window frame from tape. I will post up a few pics if you want. The main thing I did on the Lima locos was to replace the molded handrails with wire.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Peter.

As many pictures as you feel appropriate. I have some mashima motors so will keep the Lima chassis and when funds permit, will buy some better profile wheels. I'll be doing what became 20 227 and two which bacame class 20/9's and which I signalled on the weed killing train when I was a Signalman. All three will be modelled in late 60's condition.

Anywho, I've hijacked enough of your thread with my ramblings, back to you.

Cheers.

Sean.

Ok Here are my two Lima class 20s. 169 is a dummy and 121 is on a Bachmann chassis. Work done is rad fan and grille and handrail wire along the bodyside. 121 started out as a headcode fitted loco and I fitted a Craftsman disc conversion kit, both locos are fitted with Heljan ploughs and 121 has had the cabside windows enlarged.

HTH Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-20671000-1382789540_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-76560000-1382789626_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-92201700-1382789670_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-65385000-1382789698_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10826000-1382789762_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-34978900-1382789866_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The open door on 169 is a nice touch. Both look superb, Peter.

Thanks Jeff, I have done a few other classes too, it's alot easier on a Hornby 08 and class 31. 

Cheers Peter.