Walkerford VA

Caledonian

Having recently acquired a Proto2000 GP9 - 6023 in Chesapeake & Ohio livery - I did a quick (and unsuccessful) google for a photo of the original, and found a note that it was wrecked at Walkerford VA in March 1969. Two other GP9s were written off at the same time, but otherwise I can??™t find any information on what happened.

Anybody know anything?

Having recently acquired a Proto2000 GP9 - 6023 in Chesapeake & Ohio livery - I did a quick (and unsuccessful) google for a photo of the original, and found a note that it was wrecked at Walkerford VA in March 1969. Two other GP9s were written off at the same time, but otherwise I can??™t find any information on what happened.

Over here, dates are month, day year, so this may be the wreck which occurred on 3 Nov 1969. Only the lead Geeps' numbers are noted in the report, the two trailing Geeps on Extra 6056 West aren't mentioned by number, 6023 was probably one of the two units behind 6056.

Here is the link to the DOT accident report in pdf format, for some reason the forum software won't actually link to it, so you'll have to cut and paste the URL into a browser window:

http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scripts/ws.dll?file&fn=6&name=*S%3A%5CDOT_56GB%5CRailroad%5CWEBSEARCH%5CRAR-4157.pdf

If you use the link below, and Microsoft Explorer, click on 1969 and you will find an HTML version of the report that has much nicer photos.

http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scripts/ws.dll?websearch&site=dot_railroads

I suggested using Microsoft Explorer, because this is a government website, and it didn't work correctly with google chrome. It does work with the MS browser though... :icon_thumbsup2:

Thanks Pete, I should have remembered about the arrangement of the date - I've been across your side of the water often enough.

Interesting collision; driver falls asleep and passes a signal at danger while the brakeman is sitting with his trousers round his ankles in the short hood.

Archived