Thornton Gate Blackpool Tramway Sidings In DCC N!

Hello all, thought id share my new exhibition project with you, Thornton Gate.

Before you read on, please bear in mind that this project is only about 50% finished and the photos uploaded are of the early work and not the end product!

Right.... I've been modelling BR modern image in 00 for about 10 years now, a few years back I was on the old RM web where I showed my former 00 exhibition layout Headington Junction. Well a lot has changed since then, graduating from Uni being one of them!

I have for a while now wanted to get back onto the exhibition scene, but was getting tired of 00, and really felt i wanted to do something new and very different.... the answer, DCC fitted Blackpool Trams in N gauge! What a challenge!

Ive never been a tram or bus fan so this was something very new, I did however in 2007 have an opportunity to visit Cleveleys, and whilst there I visited the P'way sidings at Thornton Gate. Enginnering sidings have always interested me and so I took a few photos, not really thinking i would one day build a layout based on them.... In many ways im glad i did take these shots, as the next time I visited the area, April of this year (2012) it had all but gone as Thornton Gate had been upgraded along with the rest of the Blackpool tramway.

post-15873-0-90501100-1339544026.jpg

post-15873-0-42809500-1339544029.jpg

Above: Views of the p'way yard at Thornton Gate as it was in 2007

With these images and a large amount of research, I started late last year my new exhibition layout Thornton Gate in N gauge... and hit problems!

I was amazed that apart from the rather small Oxford Die-cast tram and infamous matchbox typhoo tea tram there was nothing available... So I decided to make my own, as you do.

post-15873-0-16421700-1339544376.jpg

Starting with the Bachmann brill trolly as a base, I first had to figure out a way to fit a 6-pin DCC chip, the brills having a live split chassis this was less then easy and some rather expensive lessons were learnt the hard way, but after a while I found a way that worked as was able to convert a small number of brill chassises over to DCC.

post-15873-0-63917100-1339544609.jpg

Above: A standard and a DCC converted chassis.

post-15873-0-46076500-1339544653.jpg

Above: The underside of the DCC converted Brill chassis, showing the self adhesive copper tape used for the bogie pickups.

Next where the body shells, for now I've picked two prototypes, the Jubilee class and my favourite the English Electric Balloon class. Using some drawings and a bit of guess work, I drew up the two classes on computer before printing onto card then using these as templates to cut sheet plastic card then after a few weeks of work created the first master prototypes in N gauge.

The next step was to create moulds from these masters to create clear cast resin duplicates. As this was something Id never done before my girlfriend offered to help, and got me some time at her uni workshops in stoke-on-trent, where the toolings where made for each tram.

I then used clear cast resin to cast a number of tram shells, so far ive only painted 2 and these still require pantograths and transfers, both of which im still to make from scratch.

post-15873-0-13379000-1339545404.jpg

Above: Freshly casted balloon trams sitting on converted brill chassises.

post-15873-0-72791300-1339545519.jpg

Above: Painted Jubilee and Balloon trams (still not finished) stand next to a matchbox typhoo N gauge(ish) tram, showing the size in comparison.

post-15873-0-17374600-1339545748.jpg

Above: The advantage of DCC! what will become Balloon 726 is seen with its directional lighting in operation with fellow class mates yet to be painted, but all fully operational, all stabled on Thornton Gate's centre road .

post-15873-0-06675200-1339545990.jpg

Above: A close up of 726, which will look so much better once its been finished and has its front bumpers and pantograth fitted!

As for buildings, Im slowly working my way though these, and due to the nature of the buildings around this area have been designing my own card kits from scratch, the first of which is for Thornton Gate's distinctive pink station house seen here in a more recent photo taken in April 2012.

post-15873-0-31919400-1339544031.jpg

And my card version of the building in place on the layout, again like everything else not finished yet...

post-15873-0-91160800-1339546267.jpg

Right well I think that's about it for now... here's one more shot of the whole layout, which I admit is somewhat chaotic at the moment, havent even began to build the scenics, currently the colours have been mostly blocked in waiting for scatters to be applied and lot of weathering!

post-15873-0-84391600-1339546331.jpg

Due to the cost involved in creating tooling and developing kits I am looking at making available some of the card kits and resin tram shells if there is enough interest.

Thornton Gate will be making its exhibition début next month (July 2012) more details shortly, and i'll keep this post updated as the work continues.

Hope you like what you've seen , and thanks for reading!

Edited by Balloon_726
  • Like 4

Wow what a challenge! I'm a lifelong fan of Blackpool trams (well up until the Flexi's anyway....) so will follow this with much interest. About 10-12 years ago I started a 00 layout which was to use my collection of Corgi & kit built trams - I still have the boards in the garage loft, untouched since we moved soon after tracklaying. I have a photosurvey that I did at the time, built the track (copperclad) and even included the subtle changes in checkrails etc, just wish I had the room to revive it now.

Good luck with this

Stewart

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum 726.

It’s not a favoured location for most tram enthusiasts because seeing T/G on the destination blind usually meant a late-running Fleetwood service car turning short, but certainly an interesting location to model. I take it from the photos and liveries of the trams you are modelling the immediate pre-upgrade works period (c2000-07)? It could also be interesting to back-date to pre-1950 and feature the yard in its original use as a coal yard with the Electric Loco hauling ordinary coal wagons from Fleetwood.

Those Balloon body shells look good - certainly capture the spirit of the prototype. The one essential car you need for that period and location is the ‘Yellow Peril’ - Engineering car 754. A Centenary and a Twin would also be common sights at that time.

Not sure if you are aware, but Thornton Gate may still have a tramway connected future as the Lancastrian Transport Trust are proposing to develop a museum for their collection of trams and buses on the site.

Where/when is the debut showing?

Paul

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum 726.

It’s not a favoured location for most tram enthusiasts because seeing T/G on the destination blind usually meant a late-running Fleetwood service car turning short, but certainly an interesting location to model. I take it from the photos and liveries of the trams you are modelling the immediate pre-upgrade works period (c2000-07)? It could also be interesting to back-date to pre-1950 and feature the yard in its original use as a coal yard with the Electric Loco hauling ordinary coal wagons from Fleetwood.

Those Balloon body shells look good - certainly capture the spirit of the prototype. The one essential car you need for that period and location is the ‘Yellow Peril’ - Engineering car 754. A Centenary and a Twin would also be common sights at that time.

Not sure if you are aware, but Thornton Gate may still have a tramway connected future as the Lancastrian Transport Trust are proposing to develop a museum for their collection of trams and buses on the site.

Where/when is the debut showing?

Paul

Hi thanks for your comments, yes setting the layout pre upgrade at around 2007 ish , Interesting you mention the Electric loco goods train, I had wondered about creating a 'demonstration' freight at some point, for now I do have a Farish 04 and some basic Peco opens that I intend use as internal user 'contractor' rolling stock, I know this never happened at blackpool but it has on other networks such as Manchester and Birmingham, where EX BR stock had been hired in, so to add some interest and help fill Thornton Gate yard im bending the rules a bit.....

As for the next round of stock builds Yellow peril and a Centenary class are high on the agenda, may also look at a conversion kit for my Balloon cast allowing it to become a millennium class, how ever at present I dont have the time :-( so a modified yellow brill tram will be standing in for 754 for the first show at least, until I can bring more stock online.

As for Thornton Gate's first outing its going to be at Llandrinio village Hall, Powys, Wales, SY22 6SB on the A4393 road. This is a new and very small show but its a perfect starting ground for a new layout.

Other shows will follow, and unless I get invited else where will mostly be on the Shropshire & Welsh borders exhibition circuit for this year into next (2012-2013)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Its been a few weeks so time for an update!

Have been really busy, have had a lot of help from my team.... (my brother and girlfriend) so here are some recent photos showing our progress.

post-15873-0-43602800-1340497110.jpg

Above: No change for 726 at the moment, finishing it, a job for next week, the world around it has changed quite a bit !!!!!

post-15873-0-07283500-1340497239.jpg

Above: Looking down from the station area, there will be some buildings going in the space on the right hand side.

post-15873-0-90962600-1340497331.jpg

post-15873-0-17589700-1340497431.jpg

Above: The end of the yard is where the P'way department kept rail and track supplies, they also had and still do an old bus for staff transport.

post-15873-0-60317900-1340497456.jpg

post-15873-0-39490300-1340497473.jpg

Above: During my 2007 visit to Thornton Gate I photographed some of the more distinctive features of the yard such as the crane, now I didn't make this model, it was my brother who build it from scratch for me mainly due to time, and be be fair he's done a really good job!

post-15873-0-53177500-1340497708.jpg

Above: Bending the rules again... I thought it would be nice to link back to Thornton Gate's past when mainline wagons would have visited the yard ...So the idea of the one that got left behind!

post-15873-0-84884300-1340497859.jpg

Above: Talking of wagons, im adding a few runners to the layout, the excuse being there ex-BR being used by the onsite contractor who has also bought there own shunter locomotive on site... this kind of thing has happened on other tramways, so im saying its happening here

post-15873-0-81943400-1340497985.jpg

Above: Soon to gain its owners logos on its cab sides, a private industrial class 04 shunter sits by the platform in the yard ( it still needs to be chipped which is going to be fun!).

post-15873-0-52028500-1340498132.jpg

Ok last one for now, the train spotters garden complete with wife on bench and class 47 cab! again not a copy in real life but the hedge and garden is prototypical to the location, I just like adding little details that would be posable and help make the layout more interesting, if for what ever reason a trams not on the move.

Right i'll up date again in a few days with some work bench content, thats all for now!

Edited by Balloon_726
  • Like 2

You could stick a mainline Tamper in there and not be unprototypical. I came across one working the track between Rossal and Thornton gate in the last couple of years. sadly didn't have a camera with me.

Ian_B

I believe I did mention them earlier, but I now found my pics that I took on a photo survey for my (now-abandoned) layout. Do you want to have a look at them? If so I can email them, or post here or in the galleries. There are 30 or so though!

Good progress with the layout, I am amazed that you tackled it in n gauge though.

Stewart

• Like 1

You could stick a mainline Tamper in there and not be unprototypical. I came across one working the track between Rossal and Thornton gate in the last couple of years. sadly didn't have a camera with me.

Ian_B

Yeah I've had the same idea, just the cost of one of these rtr tampers..... :-/ need to sell some of my tram shell casts then maybe

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo! Both the trams and the scenic concept are outstanding, and clearly open the door to many possibilities for tram modelers.

I'm in the U.S., but a lifelong Anglophile -- and fan of British trams, including and especially Blackpool. I used to bemoan the lack of R-T-R OO British trams, then began investigating N scale. Forget ready-to-run, the availability of suitable kits or diecast models is woeful indeed (for those of us who don't relish hacking up Typhoo trams or the chunky new Oxford models).

So very glad to see that you have chosen to model Blackpool prototypes in N. It's an area that was sorely lacking. Your ingenuity in crafting the shells to fit the Bachmann chassis was a wise choice. Can't wait to see this layout in its finished state.

If you would be so kind as to PM me, I am interested in your balloon shells.

Best,

R.

• Like 1

Impressive work Balloon_726.

Motorised trams must be one of the most difficult challenges in N gauge and you seem to come up with a very neat, workable solution. The layout is looking good too, but for me the crane is a particularly notable feature.

• Like 1

Bravo! Both the trams and the scenic concept are outstanding, and clearly open the door to many possibilities for tram modelers.

I'm in the U.S., but a lifelong Anglophile -- and fan of British trams, including and especially Blackpool. I used to bemoan the lack of R-T-R OO British trams, then began investigating N scale. Forget ready-to-run, the availability of suitable kits or diecast models is woeful indeed (for those of us who don't relish hacking up Typhoo trams or the chunky new Oxford models).

So very glad to see that you have chosen to model Blackpool prototypes in N. It's an area that was sorely lacking. Your ingenuity in crafting the shells to fit the Bachmann chassis was a wise choice. Can't wait to see this layout in its finished state.

If you would be so kind as to PM me, I am interested in your balloon shells.

Best,

R.

Thanks very much i've PM'ed you :-)

Impressive work Balloon_726.

Motorised trams must be one of the most difficult challenges in N gauge and you seem to come up with a very neat, workable solution. The layout is looking good too, but for me the crane is a particularly notable feature.

Yeah thanks very much, its taken a lot of testing to get right , The Bachmann Brill trolly is a good unit as a base but a real ###### to convert to DCC, ive got at least one blown chip as a result of a short or two in the early days :-(

Cant take credit for the crane as it was built by my younger brother, who along with my girlfriend have made this project possible, He's not on this forum so i'll pass on your comments to him :-)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and share your thoughts .

Hi All, Sorry a few days has turned into a few weeks and still no post or update :-(

Im working round the clock to get Thornton Gate ready for this weekends Exhibition (14th July 2012) EEAK!

Things have moved on a lot since i took the photos on here , the tram fleet is almost ready, so i'll post before this Saturday and give the info on the Exhibition again ... if any of you are in mid Wales or the West Midlands it looks like its going to be a good show !

Stand by , more following shortly! :-)

Its SHOW TIME!! (well almost!)

Hi all, as promised here is the final pre show update from Thornton Gate...

First off, these arrived in the post and for a new exhibition its looking really good!

post-15873-0-44026900-1342037313.jpg

Above: The 2012 Lllandrinio exhibition poster thats been appering in shropshire and welsh border areas for the past few months, whats scary is the they advertised Blackpool Trams on the poster! so I have had to be ready for show day....

post-15873-0-28614600-1342037490_thumb.jpg

Above: Highlighted, my entry in the show booklet, as you can see quite a number of layouts will be present as well as trade support.

In all im really looking forward to the day as its going to be the first show ive done since 2008 when i had my modern image '00'... oh how things have changed!

Right enough about that now to look at progress on the layout... the lighting is a bit different from the other photos, this is because the layout is now in my living room as we've getting ready to go on Saturday

post-15873-0-34178800-1342037716.jpg

Above: Green and creme Balloon and Jubilee on the up line at Thronton Gate Station.

post-15873-0-73110400-1342037811.jpg

Above: Another view of my green and creme Jubilee (762) returning though Thronton Gate from Fleetwood

post-15873-0-97035000-1342038006.jpg

Above: over view shot of Balloons 710 and 708 side by side in the station area, in this shot 710 (in Metro pink livery is about to move into the sidings at Thornton gate.

post-15873-0-36898900-1342038220.jpg

Above: Due to a busy centre road, Balloon 710 unusually has to take refuge in Thronton Gate P'way yard for its crew change and run back to Starr Gate

post-15873-0-40123600-1342038491.jpg

Above: At the top of the yard is the track panel storage area, where a crew is working with a JCB to break up a redundant track panel

post-15873-0-89492800-1342038611.jpg

Above: An additional p'way crew are working across from the station area, replacing track side fence panels

post-15873-0-34206300-1342038441.jpg

Above: A busy centre road with Balloon 726 and Jubilee 761 occupying

post-15873-0-67987600-1342039017.jpg

Above: Another view of 726

post-15873-0-03076600-1342039080.jpg

Above: Now in full ad livery, orange 761 makes its escape after shunting back into the station area it now takes to the avoiding up loop as it makes its way forward to Fleetwood.

Right well that is it for now! Doors open at Llandrinio at 10AM this Saturday (14th July 2012) for Thornton Gate's first public show, hopefully it will work and we'll get there in one piece!

Post show update will follow with pictures of the day! Maybe see you there?

Thanks for reading :-)

• Like 2

Coming on nicely Tom.

Just being really picky but your current Jubilee body is only truly accurate for 761. 762 of course retained it's centre exit door on conversion, so the staircases were in a more central location and the lower deck window arrangement different... Mighty impressed with the rendition of the liveries on 761 and 726 though - look better than many efforts in the larger scales.

Good look with the first show. Sorry I won't be there - I shall instead be passing the real thing at some point, it being Tram Sunday this weekend!

Paul

• Like 1

Coming on nicely Tom.

Just being really picky but your current Jubilee body is only truly accurate for 761. 762 of course retained it's centre exit door on conversion, so the staircases were in a more central location and the lower deck window arrangement different... Mighty impressed with the rendition of the liveries on 761 and 726 though - look better than many efforts in the larger scales.

Good look with the first show. Sorry I won't be there - I shall instead be passing the real thing at some point, it being Tram Sunday this weekend!

Paul

Hi thanks very much, and yes your quite right about the Jubilee not being 100% for 762, it was one of those grin and bare it decisions.... which I hope wont distract to much from the overall layout and fleet.

Im looking at creating more tram fleet classes soon and look to add Millennium, Brush car and Centenary classes to my fleet and range, and eventually variations of classes such as the arrangement of 762.

Sadly im going to miss tram Sunday but hope to visit the Manchester tram exhibition next weekend, with a view of trying to get Thornton gate in the show for 2013... we'll see

Sadly im going to miss tram Sunday but hope to visit the Manchester tram exhibition next weekend, with a view of trying to get Thornton gate in the show for 2013... we'll see

I should be in Manchester next weekend as well. If there's any chance, I would like to see those trams in the flesh.

My current plan is to spend one day at the show and the other working on the Tramway in Heaton Park (just not sure which way round yet - depends on availability of other crew in the Park...)

Paul

I should be in Manchester next weekend as well. If there's any chance, I would like to see those trams in the flesh.

My current plan is to spend one day at the show and the other working on the Tramway in Heaton Park (just not sure which way round yet - depends on availability of other crew in the Park...)

Paul

Yeah should be possible, im going up on the Saturday, hopefully be visiting Heaton Park as well, I'll ware one of my plain blue Thornton Gate id badges so anyone that wants to chat can say hello

Paul

Not been on here in a while.............

Nice work on the layout '726 (seems rude addressing someone as a balloon!) I'll be there all weekend with my layout 'Grime St' would like a look at the N gauge Blackpool stuff too, as to getting in next years show, see John Prentice, if you need an introduction I'll be happy to oblige, last I heard though next years is somewhat up in the air as to venue and dates due to something or other with Kew Bridge Museum.

Paul, what do you mean, you'll be at the show, you'll be operating as per normal!! Otherwise there'll be a couple of cars circulating all show as per Kew last year, I seem to spend more time talking than anything else.

• Like 1

Yeah should be possible, im going up on the Saturday, hopefully be visiting Heaton Park as well, I'll ware one of my plain blue Thornton Gate id badges so anyone that wants to chat can say hello

Hi Tom,

Looks like I'll be in the Park on Saturday. (should be 2 cars in service on Sat and 2/3 depending on crews on Sun) If you visit ask for me and please do bring along a couple of those trams!

Paul

Paul, what do you mean, you'll be at the show, you'll be operating as per normal!! Otherwise there'll be a couple of cars circulating all show as per Kew last year, I seem to spend more time talking than anything else.

Yeah all right Mark, I'll be at the show Sunday. Suppose I could manage an hour or two if you need a break...

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Looks like I'll be in the Park on Saturday. (should be 2 cars in service on Sat and 2/3 depending on crews on Sun) If you visit ask for me and please do bring along a couple of those trams!

Paul

Yeah all right Mark, I'll be at the show Sunday. Suppose I could manage an hour or two if you need a break...

Ok Paul, the plan is this .....

The Thornton Gate team (thats me , my girlfriend and brother) will be coming up to Manchester this Saturday... we'll visit the show in the morning and early afternoon... so thanks very much Mark i'll come and say hi over at Grime St :-), then were planning of coming over to the museum, would really like to have a look at the Brush Car, as its my next prototype for N gauge... And yes i'll do my best to bring a balloon or two with me :-)

Thanks both very much look forward to meeting you this Saturday

Tom

2012 Llandrinio Exhibition Official Update

​Had a fantasic day in Manchester on Saturday... will update with some bits from that shortly, but now as promised some photos from Thornton Gates first outing on the 14th of July at Llandrinio.

post-15873-0-40654700-1342991504.jpg

Above: Set up and ready to go

post-15873-0-64033300-1342991546.jpg

Above: Thornton Gate presentation signs and lableing

post-15873-0-24878100-1342991542.jpg

post-15873-0-75305800-1342991544.jpg

post-15873-0-19563300-1342991515.jpg

Above: Views from the station area

post-15873-0-00861900-1342991513.jpg

Above: Some of the impressive p'way road kit my brother got ready for the show. Also note the LMS brake on the back line

post-15873-0-04914400-1342991511.jpg

Above: The surviving Brill trolly masquerading as an engineering tram, which failed :-( so stood at the back of the yard all day, It will be replaced soon with a proper prototype so its days are numbered.

post-15873-0-72995000-1342991499.jpg

Above: Balloon 708 did venture onto the yard during the day.

post-15873-0-15728400-1342991502.jpg

Above: I did get the chance to operate my own layout during the show!

Below: Only to have a little incident, which i was going to cover up, but Sam insisted was photographed and shared with you....

post-15873-0-34935800-1342991495.jpg

post-15873-0-04408200-1342991509.jpg

post-15873-0-62070200-1342991506.jpg

Above: General shots of the layout and stock during the day

post-15873-0-67130800-1342991535.jpg

Above: hmm our plot for the day... erm an 'N" missing in Thornton? :-P

post-15873-0-26754200-1342991497.jpg

Above: And finally... Our escape , after a very successful first show. My thanks to James Postans and Sam Williamson for there help during the day.

Thornton Gate is back out with its second team on September 1st at Ludlow model railway exhibition more details to follow.

Edited by Balloon_726
  • Like 2

Looking good there, well done. Some of those pictures on the front look familiar... :thankyou:

Yeah thanks for the photos Stewart, as promised I did credit you on the printed photo sheet (if you look very carefully at the text on the bottom of the sheet :sungum: )