chaz

One other paint tip from the aircraft modelling world I forgot to mention last night Chaz, is that we often spray the edges of the masking tape with clear varnish before applying the colour coats, this hopefully seals the edges, and if there is any bleed under the tape it should be just the clear varnish.

Keith

One ploy I used to use when airbrushing graphic design work was to spray across the edge of any tape from the masked side, with only a light spray from near vertical to fill-in any slight "shadow" caused by the thickness of the tape. This used to work well with ink and gouache. Of course on a model any creep can be removed with thinners and a fine brush, provided it is just here and there and that the paint has not been left for too long to harden. Retouching of this type is best done the day after with enamels - I'm not sure whether such a technique would be viable with acrylic paint given its faster drying times. Some experimentation is needed I think.

Chaz

• Like 1

Two snaps featuring my GNR saddle tank. 

post-9071-0-70760800-1511005682.jpg

Looking down from a roadbridge we see the J52 sitting on the headshunt. The wall to the left of the loco hides the track that leads to the cassette board. Immediately to the right of 68824 is the gradient down to the estate tracks - in reality a lowered section of the cassette board. The gradient was included to make the view at this end look more interesting - I sometimes wonder how many show visitors actually notice it.

post-9071-0-23572400-1511005697.jpg

The second view has the saddle tank running into the yard from the headshunt. Behind, and waiting at the starter signal is the other GNR loco on Dock Green, a J50/1 from the original 1914 batch, No. 68891. Both locos are so grimey they show no trace of the BR emblem on their tanks and the cabside numbers are just visible - they must have had a wipe with an oily rag at some point. Hornsey shed (34B) was not known for the cleanliness of its stud. 

Shortly the two GN tanks will be joined by a third pre-grouping Doncaster loco - see Heather’s posting above. YUM!

Chaz

• Like 4

An appointment was made with the official works photographer. The works superintendent wasn't happy about a loco appearing incomplete, so although Chaz will be installing Dingham couplings later, it was arranged for some temporary screw couplings for the photographs.

post-17766-0-88467800-1511186358_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-44995100-1511186365_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-14374000-1511186378_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-71506300-1511186386_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-81950800-1511186396_thumb.jpg

post-17766-0-51078800-1511186404_thumb.jpg

Chaz will also be weathering the whole loco and tender to his preferred excellent standards, but it made sense to weather the tender coal space as coal was added. 

(Only later did one of the apprentices point out someone had neglected to connect the relevant cabling between tender and loco…   :jester: )

• Like 10

An appointment was made with the official works photographer. The works superintendent wasn't happy about a loco appearing incomplete, so although Chaz will be installing Dingham couplings later, it was arranged for some temporary screw couplings for the photographs.

attachicon.gif_MG_6421.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6425.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6437.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6440.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6442.jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_6444.jpg

Chaz will also be weathering the whole loco and tender to his preferred excellent standards, but it made sense to weather the tender coal space as coal was added. 

(Only later did one of the apprentices point out someone had neglected to connect the relevant cabling between tender and loco…   :jester: )

Terrific. Quite perfect. I have to thank you, Heather, for taking so much time and trouble to produce a first rate model from a kit which presented not a few challenges. The careful skills you brought to the task shine through in the photographs.

Love the coal, exactly what I had in mind. The fire irons are an excellent detail, a bit bent and battered and stowed neatly for use. The screw couplings are a nice finishing touch - I only regret they would not be very practical when operating Dock Green at shows.

Looking forward to receiving the model from you in two weeks at the Reading trade show. If it runs as well as it looks the "acceptance trials" on the Guildford club's test track should be a formality.

Chaz

Thanks Chaz. I only have limited running here on my test plank, but the loco has been run for a spell on a rolling road. It could, obviously, benefit from a little more running in.

The couplings are fixed in with blue tack, and will be removed before packing for delivery. I didn't want to have to answer silly questions about "why's there no couplin' 'ook?"

=o)

• Like 3

Thanks Chaz. I only have limited running here on my test plank, but the loco has been run for a spell on a rolling road. It could, obviously, benefit from a little more running in.

The couplings are fixed in with blue tack, and will be removed before packing for delivery. I didn't want to have to answer silly questions about "why's there no couplin' 'ook?"

=o)

Running in can be arranged even if only on my rolling road. Of course it will (unfortunately) never be taxed that severely on Dock Green - seven and a brake at moderate speeds are the norm. I would love to see some of my locos on the front of more realistically loaded goods trains. 

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to receiving the model from you in two weeks at the Reading trade show. If it runs as well as it looks the "acceptance trials" on the Guildford club's test track should be a formality.

Chaz

Nevertheless does no harm to have an independent witness. What time should I arrive?!

An odd corner...

post-9071-0-23385500-1511298099.jpg

The barrow is from an etched brass kit whose origin I can't recall. The crate was the load from an Electrotren HO Spanish wagon!

post-9071-0-30178600-1511298147.jpg

The hinges on the doors are strips of card with Peco track pins serving as coach bolts.

Just noticed - the bottom of the downpipe, which used to flair out to the drain has been broken off.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3

“Just noticed - the bottom of the downpipe, which used to flair out to the drain has been broken off.”

Happened in real life too. Now, do you repair it, or put the stains & moss on the wall?

Best

Simon

Good point Simon. The answer to your question is "probably neither". I am about to start installing the Tortoises under Dixon on the Furness Valley Railroad and to solder up the wiring. I would like to get that task done fairly quickly but when I look at the large number of dropper wires hanging below the baseboards....

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

As I sit in front of my Mac typing this in, the J6 is sitting by my shoulder on top of the bureau. I won't post any pictures until I have weathered it. it doesn't look any different at the moment to how it does in Heather's pictures above.

Scraping the barrel bottom? Yep, a few more snaps of the layout....

post-9071-0-08092600-1512900048.jpg

It gets more and more difficult to find new angles.

post-9071-0-41537300-1512900067.jpg

And if you are getting fed up with the same old same old you only have to say.

post-9071-0-21815800-1512900087.jpg

I can take a hint.

post-9071-0-71428500-1512900108.jpg

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 12

Don't think I'd ever get fed up of pics of Dock Green Chaz,it's just like visiting a favourite spot on the real railway (or at least in the 'old days'), the location was always the same but there was usually an interesting train or loco to see...!  :)

Keith

Three more snaps for those of you with an appetite for them...

post-9071-0-49144900-1513101595.jpg

The Peckett "Susan" rumbles over the canal bridge and away from the transfer siding. This model was built from an Agenoria kit. If you want an easier route to one of these the Ixion O gauge RTR model is of the same class.

post-9071-0-58199100-1513101701.jpg

An English Electric type 1 is leaving the yard with a trip freight for Ferme Park. Who could have foreseen when they first appeared in 1957 that this class would be one of the longest lived, outlasting many later machines. My affection for these ugly ducklings is to some extent due to my sighting of one as my first ever diesel - on a Hatfield to Dunstable passenger train! I would have been eight or nine (in short trousers) and was trainspotting with my father.

post-9071-0-61666800-1513102183.jpg

68891 - one of Hornsey's J50s - is on yard pilot duty. Someone has given the number a clean but the BR totem on the tank is obliterated by layers of accumulated filth. 68891 was withdrawn in July 1961 and Hornsey shed (34B) closed that year.

Chaz

• Like 18

Three more snaps featuring Christine...

post-9071-0-26606600-1513508258.jpg

An early shot of the Hudswell Clarke before I weathered it and gave it larger buffers. It's sitting on the loop having brought the tankers up from the gradient from estate.

post-9071-0-89360400-1513511315.jpg

After running round the tank wagons Christine propels them onto the transfer siding.

post-9071-0-20185800-1513511391.jpg

At a later show I took this snap. The loco has been weathered and had larger buffer heads fitted.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 14

Merry xmas Chaz,

And thanks for taking the time to post all those lovely pic`s...!!

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks Brian, for the good wishes, which I echo to all RMwebbers, and the encouraging comment, much appreciated.

+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o

Here are a couple of shots taken at the goods platform end of the yard.

post-9071-0-25273800-1513758649.jpg

11135 (a 204HP Drewry shunter - later given the TOPS code 04) in smart black livery is moving a BR-built Fruit D into the platform.

post-9071-0-41746800-1513758890.jpg

One of those quiet moments so typical of many yards. You could look over walls and catch glimpses of such places. You would hope for a loco but so often would be disappointed. 

Have fun!   :drinks:

Chaz

• Like 12

Chaz, I echo the sentiments above.  May you and yours have an outstanding Christmas and New Year, and if you find the opportunity to keep posting photos, I for one won't complain!!

Couldn't agree more!  Merry Christmas & a Happy and Peaceful New Year to you & yours Chaz, and thanks for all the cracking piccies of your excellent layout!

Keith

Chaz, best wished to you and yours for Christmas and the new year. 

Thanks for all the inspirational photographs, long may they continue.

Regards

I clicked on the "thanks" button but that hardly seems adequate. I am genuinely touched by your good wishes and positive comments, and wish you all an excellent Christmas, whatever you choose to do (including some modelling? Or just playing with your train-set - as a friend of mine has it. :mosking:  ).

I am running out of layout photos. I have been trawling through my folders and fishing out (to continue the analogy!) snaps to post but I have more or less exhausted my back catalogue. I am aware that I may well be re-posting shots that I have already used. I should have used one of the many facilitates in LR to record use - it might be too late now, too big a task to go through them all.

There will be a few new items to report on soon (not least the J6 - hoorah) as I am designating January a Dock Green month - the FVRR will take a back seat - so that they will be ready for our first show in the new year (Basingstoke in March). At that show I will certainly be able to get some new snaps - I have it in mind to see if I can find any new angles for shots.  :sarcastichand:

.........................................................................................

Here are a couple more shots...

post-9071-0-21598400-1513849767.jpg

OK, what's this a photo of, exactly? Err.....well.....just a general view of the area under the railway bridge.

post-9071-0-58767900-1513849869.jpg

Rather cleaner than a typical Hornsey tank (you can see the BR totem) so 68973 must recently have been up to Doncaster for overhaul. I weathered this, my first brass kit build, to look working-clean.

Chaz

• Like 16